JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It bugs me when I see the TV cops empy their mags at a fleeing suspect, car, whatever with zero consequence and zero consideration for what's behind the person being shot at. Just holster up and continue on. Where did all those bullets go? Houses? Other cars? Other people? No formal investigation. Nada. . .

Yeah I know it's TV. . . But 80% of the people learn gun handling from watching stupid TV shows.
I have to say if someone uses TV and movies to decide how to handle a shooting, then does what they see on TV? They deserve to lose the right to have that gun. Adults have for too long been taught that nothing they do is their fault. That lawyer who does WA gun law did a great video on this. He makes it clear even though he knows and likes the guy he made it clear to him what he did was stupid and to not do it again.

It bugs me when I see the TV cops empy their mags at a fleeing suspect, car, whatever with zero consequence and zero consideration for what's behind the person being shot at. Just holster up and continue on. Where did all those bullets go? Houses? Other cars? Other people? No formal investigation. Nada. . .

Yeah I know it's TV. . . But 80% of the people learn "gun handling" and "defensive shooting" from watching stupid TV shows.
They get all of the technical stuff wrong. It's just someone making up stuff. Kind of like the news! :D

So... you're saying Gun Kata isn't legit?!

Screenshot_20220310-160308_Opera.jpg

All my training, down the drain...

-Robert

I have to say if someone uses TV and movies to decide how to handle a shooting, then does what they see on TV? They deserve to lose the right to have that gun. Adults have for too long been taught that nothing they do is their fault. That lawyer who does WA gun law did a great video on this. He makes it clear even though he knows and likes the guy he made it clear to him what he did was stupid and to not do it again.

William's friend made a bad decision. I personally think it's forgivable. In a highly charged situation like that, it's easy to overdo it. I'd encourage him to take some firearms related self-defense classes, but I don't think he needs to be charged. Clearly he has second thoughts about his actions. I'm sure if he had it to do over he'd have acted differently.

William's friend made a bad decision. I personally think it's forgivable. In a highly charged situation like that, it's easy to overdo it. I'd encourage him to take some firearms related self-defense classes, but I don't think he needs to be charged. Clearly he has second thoughts about his actions. I'm sure if he had it to do over he'd have acted differently.
I would not want to see him charged BUT, if he had hurt some innocent? I would feel nothing for him when it ruined his life. Start firing at a fleeing vehicle? You are no longer at risk, you are throwing a temper tantrum with a gun. Hurt someone with one of those rounds and your life is ruined. People really need to be able to control their emotions if they want to take a gun outside.

"I have NASH liver cirrhosis (non-alcohol related),"

Have you looked into milk thistle? I knew a gentleman at work who claimed it improved his liver problems quite a bit.
I had Hepatitis C before they even knew what the hell it was. After they found out this was suggested by several of the health providers I had seen over decades. Some were indifferent to it, others VERY big on it. I figured how could it hurt? So was taking it for decades till that Israeli Co came up with a cure with no side effects many years ago. Still take one or two a day as its supposed to help keep the Liver function going good.

"I have NASH liver cirrhosis (non-alcohol related),"

Have you looked into milk thistle? I knew a gentleman at work who claimed it improved his liver problems quite a bit.
A long time ago. IIRC at the time it was more $$ than I wanted to spend. Now it would prolly be worth it to me if it helps.

However, I'm VERY biased against the magic cure industry. My wife buys EVERY dang thing some healthnut says you just have to take. The result is me in the poor farm for stuff that does NOTHING at all that I can witness.

A long time ago. IIRC at the time it was more $$ than I wanted to spend. Now it would prolly be worth it to me if it helps.

However, I'm VERY biased against the magic cure industry. My wife buys EVERY dang thing some healthnut says you just have to take. The result is me in the poor farm for stuff that does NOTHING at all that I can witness.
I have a friend who has drawers full of homeopathic cures for who knows what. She's got several mystery ailments that the doctors just can't seem to diagnose properly but she is sure she can address them with something from the latest book she's read. I've never bothered trying to debate it with her - I just let her go on about it until the subject changes. I know better than to question folks who are into this sort of thing. Fortunately she doesn't try to push her "cures" on me. Looking at our mutual friends, it seems to me very few of them would go for that sort of thing, so I would imagine she'd have learned the hard way from one of us a long time ago had she tried. Outside that she's a lovely person and great company. I'm pretty far from perfect myself, so I figure it's a wash.

Don't all women. 😋
Hello @ScatPackLife . No. All women do NOT turn sarcastic and annoying in response to drinking any more than all men do. Women have individual personalities and individual reactions to alcohol just as men do.

Statements stereotyping one entire gender as uniform in ways that neither gender is uniform can be considered expressions of contempt by the stereotyped-against when done in mixed gender groups. But oddly enough, when we stereotype the other gender in groups of just our own gender, it can be a humorous bonding ceremony. (Yes, all-female groups do this too.) And if the statement is ridiculously incorrect that can be more a self-deprecating joke than an insult toward the other gender. For example in this case you may not even believe your statement that all women become sarcastic and annoying when they drink but are instead making a joke at your own expense about not having had umuch luck in attracting a pleasant bearable-to-be-around woman.

So an additional complexity happens when in mixed gender groups. In this case, for example, I wonder whether you realize there are quite a lot of women on this forum. If you don't your remark can be interpreted as male bonding fun and the statement one that you may not even believe yourself. If you do realize there are women here your statement can be interpreted as a deliberate expression of contempt toward women, or even worse, a statement that sorta goes "Even though (some) women are here they either don't legitimately belong or don't matter." When jokes about women suitable for all male groups are told in mixed-gender professional groups that is usually the intention--telling the women that even though they are there they don't matter, and reassuring fellow males that they are still the only ones who do matter. Its a way of declaring the business meeting or seminar "male space." A lose/lose for the women because if they object they are accused of not being able to take a joke. Or these days, being "woke". But letting colleagues treat you like you don't matter tends to be self-fulfilling. And not finding jokes meant to exclude you funny is not the same as not being able to take a joke in general, even one at your own expense. Jokes meant to exclude you are public challenges to your belonging in that space at all.

An additional level of complexity is that it isn't obvious whether this group is mixed gender or not. When I started this message I took it for granted that all but new NWFA members realize there are women here. And that most women do not have handles that indicate gender. But in the absence of handles that are explicitly male, I think we mostly think of the person behind the handle as male. Just like "man" and "he" is more likely assumed to be male than female where in theory it could be either. And even though we know NWFA is mixed gender, it may seem to a male that the thread he is interacting on is just males if there are no explicitly female handles posting. I'd suggest that by the time you consider all those reading the posts as well as hidden by non-gender-specific handles, every thread at NWFA is actually mixed gender once it reaches any significant length.

Meanwhile, I wonder whether genuine ambiguity about whether a thread is mixed gender or not is one reason why the internet seems more hostile to women. Part of the hostility to women is obviously trolling. Some of it is undoubtedly genuine misogeny. But an additional factor might be that men interpret some forums or threads as all-male, and engage in male-bonding disparagements of women that would be harmless in a genuinely all male group. But to women the forum and thread seems obviously mixed-gender since they are there. So the joke comes across as a genuine expression of contempt for women or, worse yet, a statement that "You women don't belong on this forum, in this field/subject, or on the internet at all."

Hello @ScatPackLife . No. All women do NOT turn sarcastic and annoying in response to drinking any more than all men do. Women have individual personalities and individual reactions to alcohol just as men do.

Statements stereotyping one entire gender as uniform in ways that neither gender is uniform can be considered expressions of contempt by the stereotyped-against when done in mixed gender groups. But oddly enough, when we stereotype the other gender in groups of just our own gender, it can be a humorous bonding ceremony. (Yes, all-female groups do this too.) And if the statement is ridiculously incorrect that can be more a self-deprecating joke than an insult toward the other gender. For example in this case you may not even believe your statement that all women become sarcastic and annoying when they drink but are instead making a joke at your own expense about not having had umuch luck in attracting a pleasant bearable-to-be-around woman.

So an additional complexity happens when in mixed gender groups. In this case, for example, I wonder whether you realize there are quite a lot of women on this forum. If you don't your remark can be interpreted as male bonding fun and the statement one that you may not even believe yourself. If you do realize there are women here your statement can be interpreted as a deliberate expression of contempt toward women, or even worse, a statement that sorta goes "Even though (some) women are here they either don't legitimately belong or don't matter." When jokes about women suitable for all male groups are told in mixed-gender professional groups that is usually the intention--telling the women that even though they are there they don't matter, and reassuring fellow males that they are still the only ones who do matter. Its a way of declaring the business meeting or seminar "male space." A lose/lose for the women because if they object they are accused of not being able to take a joke. Or these days, being "woke". But letting colleagues treat you like you don't matter tends to be self-fulfilling. And not finding jokes meant to exclude you funny is not the same as not being able to take a joke in general, even one at your own expense. Jokes meant to exclude you are public challenges to your belonging in that space at all.

An additional level of complexity is that it isn't obvious whether this group is mixed gender or not. When I started this message I took it for granted that all but new NWFA members realize there are women here. And that most women do not have handles that indicate gender. But in the absence of handles that are explicitly male, I think we mostly think of the person behind the handle as male. Just like "man" and "he" is more likely assumed to be male than female where in theory it could be either. And even though we know NWFA is mixed gender, it may seem to a male that the thread he is interacting on is just males if there are no explicitly female handles posting. I'd suggest that by the time you consider all those reading the posts as well as hidden by non-gender-specific handles, every thread at NWFA is actually mixed gender once it reaches any significant length.

Meanwhile, I wonder whether genuine ambiguity about whether a thread is mixed gender or not is one reason why the internet seems more hostile to women. Part of the hostility to women is obviously trolling. Some of it is undoubtedly genuine misogeny. But an additional factor might be that men interpret some forums or threads as all-male, and engage in male-bonding disparagements of women that would be harmless in a genuinely all male group. But to women the forum and thread seems obviously mixed-gender since they are there. So the joke comes across as a genuine expression of contempt for women or, worse yet, a statement that "You women don't belong on this forum, in this field/subject, or on the internet at all."
Careful you don't MacBeth yourself there buddy. ❤️ :D

Thanks dad, you really told me. I now have a new found respect for women and will never make a joke again… 😂😂😅🤣🤣🤣 Not really. I only read the first sentence. 😋 I very much have respect for women, trust me. ask my wife, my sisters, and any woman that knows me. But I'm still going to make jokes. Lighten up dude.

I have a friend who has drawers full of homeopathic cures for who knows what. She's got several mystery ailments that the doctors just can't seem to diagnose properly but she is sure she can address them with something from the latest book she's read. I've never bothered trying to debate it with her - I just let her go on about it until the subject changes. I know better than to question folks who are into this sort of thing. Fortunately she doesn't try to push her "cures" on me. Looking at our mutual friends, it seems to me very few of them would go for that sort of thing, so I would imagine she'd have learned the hard way from one of us a long time ago had she tried. Outside that she's a lovely person and great company. I'm pretty far from perfect myself, so I figure it's a wash.
A shooting buddy moved away to a diff state. We stayed in touch on FaceBuk. Then he started posting all kinds of crap from healthnut buddies and internet etc, as well as sending me PMs suggesting I take this or that magic thing. Turns out, his suggestion about low salt sauerkraut from the cold cut section was sound, however, the rest was so constant and annoying I had to "unfollow" him. Now when he PMs me about the hazards of this or that, I tell him to knock it off.

You know Healthnut.com???? Completely discredited, but he liked to copy me in on articles. Sigh.

Yes, I know my diet sucks. But I won't live longer if I eat 52.3lbs of pureed peas each day, with a side of asparagus and kale.

Making Zuppa Tuscana on Sunday... features red chili flakes and kale. The ONLY kale I EVER eat!!! Freaking rabbits... I eat MEAT, rare/greasy/yummy MEAT!!! With a side of potatoes. Maybe a green salad and a few brussel sprouts or corn. No peas unless they are fresh and in the salad. Or split and in the soup kettle with lots of greasy ham.

Hello lady,

I hope that you are doing well.

Many moons ago, in the late 90's to early 2000's, there was a fairly well known gun forum online. Most of the people on that forum were males, had male names and some of them knew each other offline and online. Most of those places were called boards and not forums but they were the SAME to me only with a different set up.

One man on there lived somewhere down south or in the SE part of the country. I can't remember what state now and my husband is lying down so I do not want to bother his sleeping patterns now.

That man from the S or SE started his own forum as an offshoot of the one larger, more famous forum that had many members and was extremely ACTIVE at the time. The S or SE man with his new smaller forum actually said ONLINE, not only offline, that he did NOT want any women of any age on HIS forum because he said that women ruined gun forums and they had NO business being on them. NO kidding!

Plus if the women did not HUNT, HE was BIG into hunting, what was the point of them being ON ANY FORUM! He was a divorced man and in MY brief reading of him and his opinions, he seemed pretty bitter and against women owning/shooting guns worse off IF they were very opinionated about politics, various religions, international/national news, the RKBA issue, self defense, etc.

Disclaimer: I do not hunt and I have nothing against hunting. I have gone on some hunts (For the scenic ride or walking in the woods.) with my MT husband - mainly for grouse. I do FISH. I enjoy fishing but I would rather SWIM (Sail or power boat although I NO longer own any boat.) in any water than fish.

I thought that the DUDE was joking about females on forums and about female gun ownership but it turned out he was DEAD SERIOUS! Holy moly!

The reason that I KNEW he was serious was because some people, well known in THE GUN WORLD - some are now dead or really OLD-offline, that I knew offline and one used to know my late husband's old family in his county said that THAT MAN was totally serious AND more in his views.

Of course the man had the RIGHT to his own views and he could MAKE HIS FORUM or gun group any way that his little heart desired but I had NEVER EVER MET a man so much against women on a forum worse off women wanting to LEARN and SHARE about guns online AND offline in my life. I was a NEWBIE at the time to the gun world of buying my own guns and shooting more than just having my late husband's 'house gun' in the house. Late 90's and I was in my late 40's at the time.

It turned out that my MT husband knew some of the guys OFFLINE not only online on some of the same forums as my late husband and I did and he said that the man was DEAD SERIOUS.

That man is now dead. Some of the other southern men that I KNEW were NOT like that at all and, in fact, a whole bunch of us from across the USA were close friends OFFLINE and online.

As far as drinking goes and being sarcastic, etc. - I can't relate to the booze - drinking part BUT I can be a pain in the butt sometimes. Offline and online even if that is not my intention from the gitgo.

Another time, I asked what someone meant when they discussed 2 caliber firearms (Rifles.) that I never heard of in my entire life. NO one in that one chat off of that one forum bothered to answer my simple question. It was totally ignored so I never went back there. It was like a closed club and you were not in the club or clique. Kind of like the George Carlin old, famous comedy show. You can still see it online about CLUBS.

I had asked a simple question and was not being a PAIN or a troll. I was dead serious. It was a serious question and about cowboy - lever action rifles. THIS question was asked BEFORE I bought a big 2 volume set that explained cartridges, loads, I NEVER DID RELOAD, pictures, who invented what, the history of 'said cartridge', etc. I did HAVE a big, old GUN DIGEST and other gun books but the one Hornady book set explained a LOT to me since I was ignorant and never desired to UNDERSTAND much other than the basics of cartridges and VERY specific firearms (Mainly handguns!) PREVIOUSLY. I did borrow library books about guns - mainly handguns and rifles.

I went to my gun store, this was back east, and I ASKED my FAVORITE gun salesmen (Son of the owner.) what such and such cartridge was and could he SHOW them to me PLUS what such and such rifles LOOKED LIKE. HE was glad to show me every single thing that I asked him. The cartridges, the rifles, etc.

He was a well known shooter in that state and nationally and he won many awards. NOT just at Camp Perry but at other places and HE was big into black powder guns too. (Small, family owned gun store, nice people, etc.)

Take care and blessings to you over the miles.

Sincerely,

Catherine

Last Edited:
A shooting buddy moved away to a diff state. We stayed in touch on FaceBuk. Then he started posting all kinds of crap from healthnut buddies and internet etc, as well as sending me PMs suggesting I take this or that magic thing. Turns out, his suggestion about low salt sauerkraut from the cold cut section was sound, however, the rest was so constant and annoying I had to "unfollow" him. Now when he PMs me about the hazards of this or that, I tell him to knock it off.

You know Healthnut.com???? Completely discredited, but he liked to copy me in on articles. Sigh.

Yes, I know my diet sucks. But I won't live longer if I eat 52.3lbs of pureed peas each day, with a side of asparagus and kale.

Making Zuppa Tuscana on Sunday... features red chili flakes and kale. The ONLY kale I EVER eat!!! Freaking rabbits... I eat MEAT, rare/greasy/yummy MEAT!!! With a side of potatoes. Maybe a green salad and a few brussel sprouts or corn. No peas unless they are fresh and in the salad. Or split and in the soup kettle with lots of greasy ham.
I "try" to eat "better" for what that's worth but I have LONG said if I had to eat grass to live a few more years I do not want to live a few more years :D
I tend to avoid fast food which I hear is good to do. That's more I feel like I am wasting my money on it since I toss so much of it. LOVE bacon (who doesn't) but of course do not eat it 3 meals a day. Since I know my diet is far from "ideal" I take a couple of those meal replacement things with me to work. Will down them since there is no food at work at night and it keeps me out of the vending machines. Figure its got lots of the vitamins I am not getting so can't hurt. :s0092:
So I figure I am going to eat what I like, not eat till I am so overweight I can no longer get around, and not live on junk food. I have little doubt my "lack" of eating "better" will knock a few years off but what the hell. I am happy and none of us gets out of life alive :D

Hello lady,

I hope that you are doing well.

Many moons ago, in the late 90's to early 2000's, there was a fairly well known gun forum online. Most of the people on that forum were males, had male names and some of them knew each other offline and online. Most of those places were called boards and not forums but they were the SAME to me only with a different set up.

One man on there lived somewhere down south or in the SE part of the country. I can't remember what state now and my husband is lying down so I do not want to bother his sleeping patterns now.

That man from the S or SE started his own forum as an offshoot of the one larger, more famous forum that had many members and was extremely ACTIVE at the time. The S or SE man with his new smaller forum actually said ONLINE, not only offline, that he did NOT want any women of any age on HIS forum because he said that women ruined gun forums and they had NO business being on them. NO kidding!

Plus if the women did not HUNT, HE was BIG into hunting, what was the point of them being ON ANY FORUM! He was a divorced man and in MY brief reading of him and his opinions, he seemed pretty bitter and against women owning/shooting guns worse off IF they were very opinionated about politics, various religions, international/national news, the RKBA issue, self defense, etc.

Disclaimer: I do not hunt and I have nothing against hunting. I have gone on some hunts (For the scenic ride or walking in the woods.) with my MT husband - mainly for grouse. I do FISH. I enjoy fishing but I would rather SWIM (Sail or power boat although I NO longer own any boat.) in any water than fish.

I thought that the DUDE was joking about females on forums and about female gun ownership but it turned out he was DEAD SERIOUS! Holy moly!

The reason that I KNEW he was serious was because some people, well known in THE GUN WORLD - some are now dead or really OLD-offline, that I knew offline and one used to know my late husband's old family in his county said that THAT MAN was totally serious AND more in his views.

Of course the man had the RIGHT to his own views and he could MAKE HIS FORUM or gun group any way that his little heart desired but I had NEVER EVER MET a man so much against women on a forum worse off women wanting to LEARN and SHARE about guns online AND offline in my life. I was a NEWBIE at the time to the gun world of buying my own guns and shooting more than just having my late husband's 'house gun' in the house. Late 90's and I was in my late 40's at the time.

It turned out that my MT husband knew some of the guys OFFLINE not only online on some of the same forums as my late husband and I did and he said that the man was DEAD SERIOUS.

That man is now dead. Some of the other southern men that I KNEW were NOT like that at all and, in fact, a whole bunch of us from across the USA were close friends OFFLINE and online.

As far as drinking goes and being sarcastic, etc. - I can't relate to the booze - drinking part BUT I can be a pain in the butt sometimes. Offline and online even if that is not my intention from the gitgo.

Another time, I asked what someone meant when they discussed 2 caliber firearms (Rifles.) that I never heard of in my entire life. NO one in that one chat off of that one forum bothered to answer my simple question. It was totally ignored so I never went back there. It was like a closed club and you were not in the club or clique. Kind of like the George Carlin old, famous comedy show. You can still see it online about CLUBS.

I had asked a simple question and was not being a PAIN or a troll. I was dead serious. It was a serious question and about cowboy - lever action rifles. THIS question was asked BEFORE I bought a big 2 volume set that explained cartridges, loads, I NEVER DID RELOAD, pictures, who invented what, the history of 'said cartridge', etc. I did HAVE a big, old GUN DIGEST and other gun books but the one Hornady book set explained a LOT to me since I was ignorant and never desired to UNDERSTAND much other than the basics of cartridges and VERY specific firearms (Mainly handguns!) PREVIOUSLY. I did borrow library books about guns - mainly handguns and rifles.

I went to my gun store, this was back east, and I ASKED my FAVORITE gun salesmen (Son of the owner.) what such and such cartridge was and could he SHOW them to me PLUS what such and such rifles LOOKED LIKE. HE was glad to show me every single thing that I asked him. The cartridges, the rifles, etc.

He was a well known shooter in that state and nationally and he won many awards. NOT just at Camp Perry but at other places and HE was big into black powder guns too. (Small, family owned gun store, nice people, etc.)

Take care and blessings to you over the miles.

Sincerely,

Catherine
Hello @Catherine1 . sounds like the guy from the S or SE was a genuine unmitigated sexist pig. There are still some around. Blessedly not nearly as many as there used to be. The ones I have run into were mostly academic scientists who wanted to exclude all women from any jobs in the sciences. When I actually managed to get one of those jobs anyway, I was the first woman everything. And the first time I ever saw a woman scientist give a seminar or run a college class it was I.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top