JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And with all that in my above post said....

The sound you hear in the woodline...Are the grouse laughing at me...:D
I am sure that if my grouse guns talked there would be much laughter , sighs and WTH ...going on.
Andy

Sounds like a good time. A little scotch around a campfire with stories, good friends. Sign me up.

October can't come fast enough for me.

Stories from firearms would be good to hear.

With that said...
As long as someone is remembered...then they are never truly gone.
Andy
My family is one that firmly believes in good firearm maintenance and passing them on to the next generation. I can vouch for that sentiment. There is nothing quite like inheriting a past loved ones firearm and all the history, stories and tangible remembrances that come along with it... now "yours" to handle, preserve and add to it's history.

Some of my fondest memories as a youth were sitting around the campfire after a long days hunt and some great camp eats. The adults with their sippin juice and one or another rifle would become a focal point. Passing from one person to another relating associated stories of that rifle and it's previous owner that I might have never had the opportunity to hear.

It's a tradition I've tried to keep alive with my own.

Close friend, guns he's had for a long time, good relationship with his family?

I'd give the FFL/transfer regulations all the attention they rightfully deserve, and become the next caretaker of an important portion of your friend's legacy.

My family is one that firmly believes in good firearm maintenance and passing them on to the next generation. I can vouch for that sentiment. There is nothing quite like inheriting a past loved ones firearm and all the history, stories and tangible remembrances that come along with it... now "yours" to handle, preserve and add to it's history.

Some of my fondest memories as a youth were sitting around the campfire after a long days hunt and some great camp eats. The adults with their sippin juice and one or another rifle would become a focal point. Passing from one person to another relating associated stories of that rifle and it's previous owner that I might have never had the opportunity to hear.

It's a tradition I've tried to keep alive with my own.
Sorry about your friend.
I'm the first in my clan. My grand kids and nephews are gonna score when I bite the bullet. PAX

Condolences. Ive lost family to cancer.
When the time is right to ask, assuming the gun you desire is pre 941 I would assure the widow knows what SB941 is and when it took effect (2015) and let her decide what she wants to do.

A true friend never leaves you even after their death...your shared experiences mark you for life.
Having and using an item of theirs...is an excellent way to honor them...and your friendship with them.
Andy

"He has ... some that used to be mine."

The obvious thing to do (widow approving) is to move those from his gun cabinet to your gun cabinet and no one else needs to be concerned about it.

I want to thank you all for your kind words. Wes was a Journeyman Plumber, and the best friend a man could ask for. He was only 53 years old, about my own son's age. One day at the hospital, his wife took me aside and told me that Wes said that I have been a better father figure than his dad. That really tore me up and it's difficult to write even now.
Painful loss but sounds like he thought of you as a rare kind of friend and was blessed to have you in his life for the time he did. Hope in time the loss will be less painful for you.

He has the first gun he ever owned as a kid and some that used to be mine.
First of all, my condolences on your loss. Remember the good times. It's the best way to honor him.

I would never advocate ignoring the law, but I would note that there is a population of guns out there (last transferred before 2015) that have never been through the background check system and are basically untraceable.

Last Edited:
The only wrinkle I see in pre 2015 firearms are whether they might been previously stolen and bought without knowing the legal history.
My late friend who died of colon cancer in 2008 had a nice collection of guns and his widow gifted some of them to her family and a few to me.
Supposedly, he had mentioned to her that one of his guns was purchased many years ago from a friend that might have been a little shady in his dealings.
He never did specify which one was suspect.

First of all, my condolences on your loss. Remember the good times. It's the best way to honor him.

I would never advocate ignoring the law, but I would note that there is a population of guns out there (last transferred before 2015) that have never been through the background check system and are basically untraceable.
Yep, keep 'em free of oppression. :s0155:

So sorry for your loss OP. It's never easy to let go but you will soon get a sign and all will be good. They will always be with us in our hearts and souls.

And by your only picking up and handling their gun, they are standing next to you again talking about it.
I think of Dad every time I even look at one of the guns that came from him, even if they were Grandpa's before that.

I also think there is a lot of Government interference where there should be none.

Well.... without knowing the history of a firearm I wouldn't be encouraging the idea to assume that if it hasn't changed hands post 941 that there is no paper trail. If it has a serial then it was mfg by someone and a recorded purchase by the original owner. There's really no telling where that paper trail ended, if it fell through the cracks of the 20yr FFL records requirement (and dead now), or the original transfer record is sitting with the alphabets and will lead right to your front door if ownership is traced.

IE., The person you got it from is the original owner and when asked, says, "I gave/sold that to, [fill in the name]"... or they were one of those real "protect my own a**" types and kept a bill of sale with all your info on it.

The real question becomes "how distanced is the paper trail"... which can only be known if the history of the firearm is known.

The legal burden for a BGC is on the owner. The penalty is a class A misdemeanor for a first violation (1 firearm). There is a 2yr statute of limitations on class A misdemeanors in OR. Take that for what you will.

Not that I'm trying to encourage anyone to side step an illegal "law", but in the hypothetical that a person chose to, don't assume that if it's pre-941 that it's paperless.

In the case that a guy bought a firearm from an FFL (original owner of record), who later sold it to a buddy, and subsequently the buddy gave it or sold it back to you.... "Heck. That was awhile ago and who can remember??" Any papertrail only leads to you anyway.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR