JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The good ole days, the wife would just give them away to whoever she trusted.

These days, you likely need a cavity search.

Sorry for the loss of your best friend. The executor or personal representative of his estate would be responsible for handling his affairs, including distribution of his personal property per his wishes or direction. I would contact/work with them to purchase the gun with a transfer through an FFL.

Sorry for the loss of your best friend. The executor or personal representative of his estate would be responsible for handling his affairs, including distribution of his personal property per his wishes or direction. I would contact/work with them to purchase the gun with a transfer through an FFL.
Thanks, I'll speak to his wife about it when the dust settles. It's been a tough couple of weeks.

My best friend lost his battle with cancer and I would like to buy one of his guns as a keepsake. How can this be done legally?
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Unless you are related to him by blood or marriage, you have to go through an FFL. If you really want to make sure you don't have any problems down the road with proof of ownership, the gun probably needs to go through probate unless your friend had a trust, in which case the trustee could sell or transfer the gun to you.

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

1683392510821.png

Sorry for the loss of your friend. A shame he didn't give you a firearm before he passed, the legal responsibility for performing a bgc is on the seller/giver, not the recipient.

My best friend lost his battle with cancer and I would like to buy one of his guns as a keepsake. How can this be done legally?
When Sb941 went in play, firearms could be given to family members Uncles and above. If these were inherited to a person like that.
It would appear, their allowed family could sell them. A Will, would be nice, but doesn't seem required.
but a FFl should be able to do that pretty easy. The more docs you have down the road the better, incase other family ever questions it.
My one cent. I am new here. Can't give two cents yet.

I want to thank you all for your kind words. Wes was a Journeyman Plumber, and the best friend a man could ask for. He was only 53 years old, about my own son's age. One day at the hospital, his wife took me aside and told me that Wes said that I have been a better father figure than his dad. That really tore me up and it's difficult to write even now.

Any idea how long ago he acquired these guns. Over a decade ago I would just move on and put it inmy safe f. I even had a ffl tell me this.
Condolences on your friend. I can see myself being in your shoes in a few years .

I know I am not the first person to own or use many of my firearms. I would love to hear the stories that my guns could tell if they could talk. Stories of thier past owners adventures.. It is a shame that these stories have been lost.

Any idea how long ago he acquired these guns. Over a decade ago I would just move on and put it inmy safe f. I even had a ffl tell me this.
Condolences on your friend. I can see myself being in your shoes in a few years .
He has the first gun he ever owned as a kid and some that used to be mine.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews