JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oh, I thought it was plural. Well in that case, perhaps damages (if any) might be realized by the party "damaged". lol
Local dealer for me will not do them either at this point. He has to bring the firearm into his books (per the ATF), then transfer. What happens if the buyer does not pas the check? My local dealer is not against doing the checks, he is just awaiting some clarification so he does not lose his licence (which I can understand).

Local dealer for me will not do them either at this point. He has to bring the firearm into his books (per the ATF), then transfer. What happens if the buyer does not pas the check? My local dealer is not against doing the checks, he is just awaiting some clarification so he does not lose his licence (which I can understand).
Your local dealer is not reading the ATF guidance they sent out then. I posted it several pages ago. It boggles my mind how someone can have an FFL and be clueless to changes in laws and procedures.

The dealer listed in the quoted story for one.
Just about every Dealer down our way created a no private transfer policy unless ffl to ffl in cases of orders. They did this however in opposition to SB941 which I get, but puts gun owners in the place of choosing to no-comply or no transfers.

The problem is as a see it once again is lack of education for gun owners and antis in Oregon.
Sadly it simply does not exist in anything serious, and that boggles my mind all the money people pay out including me for gun groups and lobbys and still we find any average gun owners and even some FFL's going duh what ? Whats SB941 .:eek:

The ATF changes their mind more than they change their underwear. You can't blame FFL's for not being 100% up to date on their whims each day. No excuse for them not to be aware of sb941, but its certainly reasonable for us not to be 100% sure how the state laws will jive with the federal laws and what is the best course of action to stay in compliance with both. Keep in mind, if we offend either, we can lost our freedom, our jobs, our businesses, our savings, etc. Caution seems like a prudent course of action. Knee-jerk no transfer? Not so much. But give us time to figure out how things will work together.

There is so much going on here. Certainly not accusing all, but I think some dealers did hope for passage of SB941, so they could sell more guns as opposed to missing out on sales because of FTF transfers. Well, this was a double-edged sword. I've been known to trade a gun or two over the years. Many FTF deals, and many purchases online and delivered to a local dealer for transfer. I never specifically set out to bypass a dealer. My FTF deals or my online deals were largely because the dealers in my area are very narrowly focused on what they want to stock and sell. If I want a black plastic gun then I can go to any local dealer and find what I want. If I want a specialized revolver, an all-metal semi-auto pistol, a collectors piece, or a quality long range rifle then often I have no choice but to buy from elsewhere. I'm a firearms hobbyist. I love to shoot the latest and greatest quality guns. I buy, then trade these guns as soon as I'm bored with them. If I can no longer easily trade these guns off to other educated/experienced shooters and traders, then it will severely curtail my gun buying, including even from a dealer if he happened to have a gun that I was interested in.

So...For the dealers that secretly hoped for passage of SB941, it backfired. If I buy fewer guns, that will include sales that they may have had.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
^^^^ I actually try and make a point of avoiding FFL's why I realize its the job of FFL's to keep records of purchases I personally dont want my information out.
In 2013 two FFL's closed one in my area and one I think in Scapoose, both these shops closed over night they both had some other firearms from consignments and they vanished. Meanwhile the records and the people who owned the store could not be found. Thats why my self I up until SB941 worked to avoid the FFL for 95% of my firearms purchases. I'm old school and also do not like stores and persons having my ODL, or SS#. There is a family business I am not involved in that had birthdates, SS# even credit card numbers all on their systems, who to say what happens to that material when they close or sell ? Yes I get it 100% its how they are required to do business and that fine. The whole SB941 thing is now I am forced to give out information I shouldn't have to and pay to do it what ???

We will all know in about 60 days looking at the OSP sales and transfer data if this affected sales or not. We have a close family friend that owns a FFL and they are great people and I have only purchased on gun from him in 20 years I lived here. So am not a FFL hater, I see FFL in some aspects as the ones who have a gun up to their heads like the rest of us. But there are more then a select few that are counting on it SB941 making a windfall. A few even plan on opening gun transfer areas of their FFL to handle the flow and charge a fee. There is a guy two towns over that is going to be open to do just private transfers certain day and times doesnt sound like an after thought at all.

None of this sheeeet is fun for most of us FFL's include. But thats what the sheep wanted seems to a point they may have succeeded.

If I can no longer easily trade these guns off to other educated/experienced shooters and traders, then it will severely curtail my gun buying, including even from a dealer if he happened to have a gun that I was interested in.
I have given this a lot of thought and agree. I also believe (to answer a question from a previous thread) the SELLER has the most to loose from SB 941. Say a seller wants or needs to sell a gun - SB 941 put most of the burden on him - IE not only having to find a buyer but then having to arrange the transfer. The buyer is essentially in the 'driver's seat' and can call the shots as the seller is typically more motivated to sell than the buyer is to buy. Bottom line is if the deal falls through the buyer is out nothing - but the seller still has the gun to sell - and has to hope for another interested person. Also it appears (from informal 'random sampling' on gun classified sites) most of the FTF gun deals were made up of non-typical guns, older ones, collectable, etc. So I suspect what is going to happen is unless it is something highly desirable and really wanted by some one there are probably going to be a lot of guns collecting dust for their owners. I do see a possible advantage for dealers who actively take trades and deal in older or collectible guns but again a DISADVANTAGE for a seller who may find his only buyer a dealer who will go 'pawn stars' on him with the purchase price.

Last Edited:
If I were to ever sell a gun in a private sale again, and currently that's something I don't intend to do, I would try and make my classified as clear as possible - I'll decide on a location or two where we can meet, and I'll factor the FFL/BGC fee into my asking price, so people can see exactly what it will cost to buy it. It will end up costing me, no doubt, just to get someone to agree to buy in the first place. And with the restrictions on having to find an FFL, it's going to really limit the times and places people can meet. Flexibility is gone. Choice is limited. Being able to 'try' something and move it on if you don't like it, is gone. I'm just not excited about giving the government more of my information or more of my money.

F 'em all

I'll decide on a location or two where we can meet, and I'll factor the FFL/BGC fee into my asking price, so people can see exactly what it will cost to buy it. It will end up costing me, no doubt, just to
Good plan but like you I am afraid my carefree days of FTF dealing are pretty much gone. I might still peruse a couple good shops in Bend that deal in nice older and collectible stuff (and make me fair deals) but I think it will end there.

I never thought I would get more sales due to less ftf sales. I'm losing sales to the big box stores who buy in such volume and have lead loss advertising budgets that allow them to sell at lower prices than I buy wholesale for. I also lose sales to places like bud's guns who have little overhead and can afford to make $5 per gun. I never lost sleep over ftf sales, in fact I told my customers it was the best way to get the most money from their guns.

The bottom line fellas is if they wont give US a number to call to perform a background check then it just cant be that important to them. RIGHT ?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?

The motivation is obvious. Whenever theres a big shooting its always followed by laws that are going to prevent it from ever happening again. RIGHT ?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

You people are so gullible.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR