JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good information Mountain Bear very important in my opinion that groups hear from people like you and Norm, I do think there was no choice for consumers but to assume FFL's could care less in the SB941. And I get exactly why people cant be at places 100%. But that said if only one or two out of 2000 show up and get involved that does not speak well for the FFL's as a whole. I therefore myself thank you for taking time to write because the more FFL's that let the public know they are not happy with SB941 the more we can all be united and not divided :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have thought long and hard regarding transfers at my small shop. I suppose I should preface this by saying that I was and am against this law. I don't think it will do anything but burden law abiding citizens. I emailed and called my congress people to voice my opposition. I'm sorry that I could not get to the hearing, but I am a one man band who at the time had a pregnant wife (now I have a newborn). I wish I could have gotten involved, but honestly, I didn't have the time or finances to get to those hearings in person. But do not let not seeing a dealer at the hearings in person fool you into thinking that they were sitting back wringing their hands in delight at some supposed windfall that was due to come. Most of us weren't. Some of you differentiated between FFL holding citizens and non-FFL holding citizens. There isn't much difference. I am a gun guy who just happens to try make a living with a gun shop.

Dont feel bad for thinking you did not help out enough. There was nothing you could do. Sending more emails, making more calls, going to every hearing, going to every rally would have made no difference. This was truely done before it even started. The hearings were purely show. I would have had more respect for these guys if they had just told the truth. "Hearings wont change any vote, so we are not going to waste your time"

Dont feel bad for thinking you did not help out enough. There was nothing you could do. Sending more emails, making more calls, going to every hearing, going to every rally would have made no difference. This was truely done before it even started. The hearings were purely show. I would have had more respect for these guys if they had just told the truth. "Hearings wont change any vote, so we are not going to waste your time"

I disagree, there is huge power in unity just ask the Antis, they win by numbers regardless how they get them its all about unity. Its not about winning that day, because yes we know all was lost with that majority I guess we all forget the Majority King George had over the colonist???:confused:
We only lose when we surrender and we must always yell we will not go down quietly. I for one do surrender regardless of odds. And I respect everyone right to an opinion, if we sit and do nothing rather then stand and be heard 2016 will be far worse then 2015 and then it will truly be over.

I disagree, there is huge power in unity just ask the Antis, they win by numbers regardless how they get them its all about unity. Its not about winning that day, because yes we know all was lost with that majority I guess we all forget the Majority King George had over the colonist???:confused:
We only lose when we surrender and we must always yell we will not go down quietly. I for one do surrender regardless of odds. And I respect everyone right to an opinion, if we sit and do nothing rather then stand and be heard 2016 will be far worse then 2015 and then it will truly be over.

Having seen how everything really works during the recall campaign, I disagree. There is no one at the legislature "on our side" The republicans purposefully damaged our recall all at the same time that Bloomberg was paying people to spy on us. If all the choices in an election are scumbags, why bother? Im at the point of saying let them have it. They can have their "utopia" of what ever their goal is. It most certainly will end with a big implosion taking them all with it. The country needs a good flush.

Having seen how everything really works during the recall campaign, I disagree. There is no one at the legislature "on our side" The republicans purposefully damaged our recall all at the same time that Bloomberg was paying people to spy on us. If all the choices in an election are scumbags, why bother? Im at the point of saying let them have it. They can have their "utopia" of what ever their goal is. It most certainly will end with a big implosion taking them all with it. The country needs a good flush.

I to was involved deeply and disagree as well there is a reason to not give up.
The same people who will stand in unity will be seen on the line as well.
Those who will not stand with others surely will be absent when it counts.
You may be at the point of saying let them have it and that is the freedom we all have,
I personally will stand with any brother or sister that realizes freedom is earned not given.
It may have been taken, which means it is not in stone and can be moved back. :s0042:

Speaking about how much the FFL dealers are collecting over this new law....

Before the background check law was passed in WA, I asked my local gun store owner if he was in favor or not. His reply was that he was in favor. He claimed that it was gonna make WA a "safer place" if all transfers had a background check.

Really? WA is a safer place because I want to purchase another firearm and I need to get another background check that'll cost me an additional $35? BTW, I also have a valid WA CCW.

The way I see it....
The gun store owner was looking out for his own interest, as it brought additional revenue to his business.

Speaking for myself as an FFL, I campaigned against I 594 as vigorously as I could. Because I believe that it is both useless and an unacceptable infringement.

And I kept my transfer fees at the same price I had them before it took effect. Which is just about enough to average a minimal profit after doing the paperwork, receiving the firearms, checking them in and out. My labor cost eats up most of my $20 fee.

^^^^^^^^ I think anyone with a Conceal Carry should not have to do any background check on " ANY" purchases. A Conceal Carry is pretty extensive check, and from what I have been told recently in another post a FFL check is not as deep or intense as a CHL. I would like to see Kim Thatcher here in Oregon and others rally around such a law.

You're correct, a CHL BG check is far more stringent than a NICS check. However, CHLs can be revoked, so that is why the NICS check is still required. Not justifying, just telling you why.

What ever you buy now it going to cost you to sell it too, today the state wants $10 but tomorrow it will be $25. As long as you keep voting for progressives the price of fun will go up.

I agree 100%, which is why one asks where were they all why this was being bum-rushed ?
As I have said there are over 2000 FFL's in Oregon why where not even a 1/3 involved.
If I knew my lively hood was going to be affected I would have large banners in my shop, Id be giving a flier to every customer and I would have showed at the testimony or at least written.
I think I would really be showing way more empathy if there had been a strong unity of FFL's involved win or lose it would have showed unity.

Because the vast majority of those 2000 busy individuals are probably part-time, "table top" dealers who aren't really all that involved in the gun industry from a practical point of view. They have jobs, and families, and spouses and kids taking up their time.

Much like the folks who struggle to keep the doors open on your LGS on a daily basis. Not everyone has time and wherewithal to be at legislative meetings during business hours, or even in the evenings.

There's almost 4 million people in Oregon, and 40% of them own guns.

(http://usliberals.about.com/od/Elec...s-As-Percentage-Of-Each-States-Population.htm)

Why is this legislation the fault of gun shop owners?

I'm not even an Oregon FFL and I was educating against it on your behalf; but it would be utterly worthless for me to go to a meeting with a legislator, as a non-resident.

What ever you buy now it going to cost you to sell it too, today the state wants $10 but tomorrow it will be $25. As long as you keep voting for progressives the price of fun will go up.

The price of fun, the price of self defense, the price of competing, the cost of hunting, the price of collecting, etc...

All the fun things in life that the government doesn't much agree with...

You're correct, a CHL BG check is far more stringent than a NICS check. However, CHLs can be revoked, so that is why the NICS check is still required. Not justifying, just telling you why.
They could do like Utah though and wave the background check fee for concealed carry holders. However, the Utah legislator likes gun owners, Oregon is the opposite.

Why is this legislation the fault of gun shop owners?
I do not think I have a read a post including my own where anyone says SB941 passing was because FFL's didnt show at the hearings. I said their absent showed allot to the antis of what is the priority. In this thread seems many that own FFL's are shooting this messenger.:rolleyes:

Lets give you the benefit of the statement that the over 2000 FFL's are not business, ok let go with that and say there are 500 thats easy as I know there are allot more then 500, but for arguments sake let say there 500. With a law that was going to pass that left no limits or conditions for FFL's to charge what ever was wanted and only a few show up ? What do you think that meant to all the buyer in this state who have no real power and look to someone to help. We have OFF thank God, but imagine if just 50 Firearms Businesses gave testimony or showed up it would show unity. Probably wouldn't hurt sales either .

For some reason I notice people commenting on my posts but not reading them, as I never said the laws would have not passed if more FFL's showed. I never said that they were to blame. However I have been clear if did not show unity at all and that is what makes it hard to then trust those who want to speak now but didn't then? It always makes me ask when some one says they are very busy and do something to save their rights. I ask, so at what point will a person say enough is enough and we all stand as one ?

By the way I also supported opposing 594 financially from down here, so we are all in this together.:s0074:

Last edited by a moderator:
Political activism is hard. It's really hard for the conservative side, because people are busy making a living.

It's easy getting lots of unoccupied students and young people with no serious responsibilities to go out and sign petitions, knock on doors, hand out literature etc. Everything is harder to do when people who have to make a mortgage are being asked to leave off of that for a moment and go show unity.

It just is. It sucks, but that's what it is to be politically active. A lot of frustration with people not seeing how important it is to act before the disaster strikes.

Up here in Washington the fees haven't gone up, still about $20.

They just log the gun then do a 4473 on the buyer. Seems like a easy $20 for about 10min and 30 seconds of the employee typeing.

If it were my bussiness I'd love to have people come in all day. the mark up on guns isn't very high to start so it seems nice to make money without paying for stock.

Plus it gets people into my store one good experience and you'll have a costumer coming back for, mags, ammo, holsters, and guns.

I'd say 75 percent of the time I leave with something from the store, a mosin, AR lower, mags, couple boxes of ammo

( I oppose the background check law, and I have noticed Oregon takes a long time to process background checks. In WA we use the federal system, not osp that will delay you over a parking ticket)

Political activism is hard. It's really hard for the conservative side, because people are busy making a living.
AND another reason is most conservatives do not subscribe to a variety of causes as liberals do - or 'shift gears' as frequently. Follow the typical liberal 'causes' and you will most likely see these types changing their beliefs and activism as frequently. Most conservatives tend to stick to traditional ideas IE based on American tradition and history.

Many people that give their support, and their votes, to the politicians that are taking our rights away are very uneducated when it comes to certain issues. Talk to the average anti-gunner about guns and gun owners and in just a minute or two, you'll find their heads are filled not with facts, but rather drivel they are regurgitating from the news or a politician.

You find that they think gun owners are crazy, that they can't wait to shoot someone, that they just hope someone breaks into their home so they can unload thousands of rounds into the 'perp'. To them, we're nuts, psychos and preppers that can't wait to see the SHTF so they can flee to the mountains and hunker down as the world implodes around them. We're lunatics that strap on an AR and march through a school during lunchtime, just because we can. We're hateful, spiteful, bigoted, unintelligent, irrational, overly-religious windbags that reject common sense, science, peace and love. We are neanderthals who simply replaced our club with a more powerful club. We hate women, children, blacks, hispanics, gays and anyone else who is not a white tea party member with 800 guns in the back of their F350.

It's no wonder we can't even get a word in edgewise with these people. Their political masters are experts at painting a picture of us, and of guns, that, even though 180 degrees off of reality, is swallowed by them hook, line and sinker, then repeated verbatim at every rally, gathering and protest. And they know how to shout really loud, just look at the two nutbags that tossed Bernie Sanders aside up in Seattle last weekend.

Politics isn't just hard, it's dirty. It's nasty. It takes people with great ideals and turns them into vicious animals, fighting over every scrap of power and money they can get. If we are to have any chance at changing things, we're going to have to start fighting back, and, if necessary, get nasty too. They got where they are today because they have spent decades pushing people out of the way, shouting down the opposition and belittling publicly everyone that doesn't agree with them. There will be no reasoning with these people. There will be no friendly debate. We need to give them back what they give to us. Call them out. Point out their flaws publicly, show the world that we have been deceived and that this level of insanity simply cannot be sustained.

What kind of fools are we dealing with? I posted this in goofy humor earlier, but it's good to see what kinds of folks are allowed to cast votes in this country. These are voting-age fellow Americans. And make no mistake, they will certainly cast votes in 2016. I wonder, how might you respond if you were asked whether you support abolishing the Bill of Rights??? :confused:

Which shows how little the anti-gun people think about their laws, or really care.

By *not* exempting CHL holders from background checks they may prevent a crime:
1) from a CHL holder that got revoked
2) that then tried to buy a gun before the printed CHL expiration date
3) whom didn't already have a gun
4) then actually went a committed a crime rather than go plinking or something more likely

That has to be an incredibly rare occurrence, and the cost to active CHL holders per incident has to be huge.

a
<broken link removed>

The latest from BERDICK!!

<broken link removed>

PORTLAND, Ore. -- A new law requiring background checks for all firearm sales and transfers, including private transactions, goes into effect in Oregon Sunday.

But will anyone enforce it?

One of the main sponsors of the bill, State Sen. Ginny Burdick (D-Portland), admitted Friday the law doesn't include money for enforcement.

Still, Burdick said, "This will make it harder for the criminals and the dangerously mentally ill to get guns."

If you sell a gun privately, in person or online, the law says you have to meet the buyer at a licensed gun shop and have them go through a background check, which Burdick says costs $10.

Law enforcement authorities in the Portland area and throughout the state say they won't go out and find people who are breaking the law, though they will investigate any reports they get.

"It's just a simple practicality - until we have the resources here to fully fund law enforcement and prosecution, new crimes probably aren't going to get much attention," Lane County Sheriff Byron Trapp said when asked about the bill in June.

"Some of this [enforcement] will most likely be after the fact," Burdick said. "If something, if someone commits a crime with a gun, you found out that it was sold without a background check, at that point you'd go after the person. Enforcement dollars are always limited."

Burdick also cited studies by the group Everytown For Gun Safety, which say in states with universal background checks, there's less gun trafficking and fewer police officers shot and killed in the line of duty.

Opponents dispute those findings and say the law is pointless.

"Are the gang-bangers in Northeast Portland that can't legally buy guns to begin with, that are shooting everybody every night, are they going to come in here to do background checks? No," said Warren Lacasse, owner of The Gun Room in Southeast Portland.

The law does have some exceptions: You can still legally give a gun to an immediate family member or borrow your friend's gun while hunting.

For more on the law, click here.
So what dealer won't do background checks?
Perhaps a lawsuit to address actual incurred damages might be in order?
I think I'm not following the title/posit of this thread, this still being a free market economy and all.
Please elaborate.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class