JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Spoke to a couple of the FFLs at the McMinnville gun show this weekend. Most say the new FICS system seems OK, but a little upset with them changing the manufacturers codes and making things hard to find. The guys with the single person tables were using the portal because they didn't have other people to man the phones. They were saying it still seems random as far as instants vs delays.

Those calling it in were getting 20 to 30 minute hold times but approvals were coming back quickly.

Tried out the new system the other day. Got an instant approval. Never once gotten instant in 20 years of buying guns. Always gone into the queue (albeit typically very low and quick). I thought they were talking about someone else in the shop. No idea if that's fluke but something is definitely different.

I hope this is a joke. There are countless reports of instants on this thread and others, so many that people were complaining that it doesn't help to report your instants.
I doubt it's true. A bimart employee probably wouldn't know anyway. I feel like having a unique name gives you the best chance at an instant, especially with a CHL

I found out why I was put at the back of the que on a purchase I did over a year ago. I had a dui in California in 2009 and in 2021 CA switched my misdemeanor to a felony for no reason then switched it back. Well the signal went out and I was not supposed to buy or carry a gun anymore as far as the Sheriff knew. The Sheriff then revoked my permit and even claims to have gone to my house to tell me and they have a signed report saying he talked to me. But it never happened they went to my old address and I don't know why. This all went on for over a year and I was carrying the whole time. Now it has been resolved and it was all an 'accident' so if you were ever in the system doing a welfare check on your permit might be worth it.

The only 'instants' i have had out of at least 8 purchases since November was when the FFL's called them in. without fail. those 2 done in a few minutes. all others I had to wait 3-5 days on before the FFL released to me. If you use LGS to do the transfers and you have a CHL, it might be worth your while to slip them a ten spot if they would call it in. Just saying

Last Edited:
Purchased a new Glock at Keith's Sporting Goods this past Thursday, May 11th.

They said the queue was around 11,000.

I have a CHL.

Got instant approval.

That surprised me because the last time I purchased (November of 2022) I got put in the queue and had to wait 2 weeks.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to who gets an instant approval and when they get it.

Last Edited:
Purchased a new Glock at Keith's Sporting Goods this past Thursday, May 11th.

They said the queue was around 11,000.

I have a CHL.

Got instant approval.

That surprised me because the last time I purchased (November of 2022) I got put in the queue and had to wait 2 weeks.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to who gets and instant approval and when they get it.
The consensus seems to be uncommon names tend to get instant approval, as opposed to names shared by like a thousand people. I've spoken with 3 very high-volume FFL's who have all observed this pattern.

What I don't quite understand is by what mechanism does this work? How is the uncommonness of a name determined?

I have a chl and very unique last name and since 114 get thrown in queue. I have yet to meet another person in Oregon with my last name. Though Google shows a few.

I have a chl and very unique last name and since 114 get thrown in queue. I have yet to meet another person in Oregon with my last name. Though Google shows a few.
It seems like nothing is 100%. I wonder if there are examples of the exact inverse being true as well: someone with a name like Ed Miller or something that always gets instant approvals.

The consensus seems to be uncommon names tend to get instant approval, as opposed to names shared by like a thousand people. I've spoken with 3 very high-volume FFL's who have all observed this pattern.

What I don't quite understand is by what mechanism does this work? How is the uncommonness of a name determined?
I would presume that it is due to how likely it is that a similar name pops up as a prohibited person.

For me, there is a prolific violent felon with the same first, middle and last name, born the same year as me. I have zero doubt that's why I'm always getting a lengthy delay.

I would presume that it is due to how likely it is that a similar name pops up as a prohibited person.

For me, there is a prolific violent felon with the same first, middle and last name, born the same year as me. I have zero doubt that's why I'm always getting a lengthy delay.
That maybe my reason for never getting an instant. I have a loser cousin in California with same full name, including middle name.

Before 114 I'd get typical 10-15 minute approval with chl but since 114 it's been the queue.

Many years ago I worked in a very large corporation where we moved a lot of money around. We had to run BGC's on people to see if they were fugitives or on the terror watchlist. The system factored in not only your name but also your aliases. Having an uncommon name helped but if some criminal five states away was using your name or something similar to your name it would flag the application for additional scrutiny. I'm not sure how the OSP system works exactly but I assume it's similar.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews