JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Who knows what might come from the TRO/case in the state courts???
Keep your hopes up...at least until after the hearing tomorrow.
Hopefully we get more good news through these proceedings.
Won't matter for me. unless it's delayed for years I won't have enough time to arrange a transfer find a shop and go through Que 2-3 times if they just now working on bgc from nov Nov 2nd it'll be month before they get to mine.
I've certainly learned where not to buy guns from though.

Wouldn't the sensible thing to do have been to have completely separate lines for CHL and non-CHL people and dedicate staff to process each? Then CHL people would still get theirs faster because there's fewer people and also they're expedited but non-CHL people would at least still have been progressing in line instead of constantly being pushed backwards by CHL people… but then if that was the sensible thing to do, it's probably why they didn't do it.

Wouldn't the sensible thing to do have been to have completely separate lines for CHL and non-CHL people and dedicate staff to process each? Then CHL people would still get theirs faster because there's fewer people and also they're expedited but non-CHL people would at least still have been progressing in line instead of constantly being pushed backwards by CHL people… but then if that was the sensible thing to do, it's probably why they didn't do it.
Sensible thing would to be if your CHL is valid your a insta check.....

Sensible thing would to be if your CHL is valid your a insta check.....
No what we need is a CHL and a Permit to Purchase…….

That way the criminals have to go through 2 background checks. Cause we all know they buy guns legally……

Stupid.

That way the criminals have to go through 2 background checks. Cause we all know they buy guns legally……

Stupid.
you do a background check(permit) to enable you to do another background check to buy a gun. next we'll need to do a background check to apply for permit do do a background check so we can do a background check to buy a gun. i dont know what more background checks are going catch that nics doesn't but if they keep going way of California they keep adding more. next will be background check to buy ammo.

Stupid.
That would be three BC's One for concealed carry, one for the five-year permit, (class, qualification, too), and One for the actual purchase or transfer. That and you are put in the publicly accessible database. Thieves and anti-gun groups rejoice, privacy asunder.

Who knows what might come from the TRO/case in the state courts???
Keep your hopes up...at least until after the hearing tomorrow.
Hopefully we get more good news through these proceedings.
Unfortunately even an injunction while the case plays out won't fix OSP's FICS issues. The judge needs to order OSP to abandon all M114 implementation efforts and improve background check response times.

Unfortunately even an injunction while the case plays out won't fix OSP's FICS issues. The judge needs to order OSP to abandon all M114 implementation efforts and improve background check response times.
well, I mean we know they wont have the required safety trainings in place by the time they want to impliment anyway. And I think that may have been the judges point by only granting 30 days. Lets hand em some rope...

they went from doing 700-1000 a day to doing 0 a day. something is up on their side that they aren't explaining. if its staffing issue they could just came out and said it and put to bed al these concerns. that they haven't leads me and others to think its purposeful thing. the lack of transparency at osp is horrible. they should be releasing daily completed bgc numbers. or least weekly. we won't have any idea what's happening until year or more from now when they post their yearly review for 2022
Oh, something is definitely up. Per my prior comment, I'm just not going to automatically assume that that "something" is some type of purposeful attempt to screw people over. That would be me wish-casting rather than arriving at a conclusion based on solid facts around the entire situation. As much as possible I try to avoid arriving at determinative conclusions when I'm not certain I'm privy to all the relevant facts.

But then, I received some great advice early in my legal career: "Don't ever presume that you know things you don't actually know. Doing so will often bite you in the rear, usually at the worst time." Following that advice has saved my professional bacon more than a few times.

As for transparency, I don't think OSP has ever been all that transparent with the machinations around their operations. I wouldn't expect them to suddenly start being more transparent at the same time when their workload has increased by 30x. We'll get more information from them when we get it.

I'd also repeat something that's been said: We all knew this was coming. Those waiting until the last second to purchase a firearm are experiencing what often happens to people who wait until the last second to do anything: frustration.

But then, I received some great advice early in my legal career: "Don't ever presume that you know things you don't actually know. Doing so will often bite you in the rear, usually at the worst time." Following that advice has saved my professional bacon more than a few times.
+1
As for transparency, I don't think OSP has ever been all that transparent with the machinations around their operations. I wouldn't expect them to suddenly start being more transparent at the same time when their workload has increased by 30x. We'll get more information from them when we get it.
+1
I'd also repeat something that's been said: We all knew this was coming. Those waiting until the last second to purchase a firearm are experiencing what often happens to people who wait until the last second to do anything: frustration.
Yep. From 5 months ago:
C0F24392-A6CE-4056-BDA3-00B825CB17A1.jpeg
And one of the threads from august on it:

The possibilities for OSP's crazy-low production that I can see are: 1) OSP is committing their resources to developing the new system and doing the absolute minimum under the old system, 2) staff are getting a break after pre-Dec 8 crunch time, 3) since new system only LEOS can initiate background checks and not FFLs, they may be trying to reduce potential conflicts relating to that, 4) they don't want bgc going through without the person having a permit application (ie be on the REGISTRY).

#1 makes the most sense to me based on all the things I've seen but there is not enough info yet to know, as you said. If the OSP director/higher ups have a belief in a REGISTRY system, then #4 would make the most sense. I have no idea if they do or not.

Last Edited:
Anyone know of any LEA that does have a program setup yet? I haven't heard of a single one.... I was looking at the OSP form and it is all dependent of your local LEA to check all your paperwork.... so it could all be left up to interpretation of what qualifies as a firearm safety course. Does military service qualify as that? Does hunters safety course? I know for tricounty gun club we had to show proficiency in safety before we got our access card..... Does that count? Interested if anyone has heard anything.

I wonder if OSP can now be sued for governmental fraud, waste, and abuse now that they have collected $500,000 oin pending background check fees but are unwilling to process the background checks. That should be an easy win for some lawyer I would think.

Kind of funny that early in the Harney County TRO hearing this morning, the judge questioned how BM114 could be implemented since the state doesn't have the system in place.
The state's attorney objected saying that the state did have the permitting process in place!! LOL
Judge wasn't amused. He pushed back asking about how a person would be able to go through the entire process to get a gun today.
State attorney then said the only piece not currently in place was the "live fire" piece that the sheriff's are in charge of holding.

Two issues:
1) state attorney specifically used the wording "live fire." I know it's been discussed here on this forum if the weapon handling MUST be live fire or simply showing proficiency (loading, unloading, firing, etc) done via dry fire or with snap caps.
2) bigger issue was the state attorney seriously threw the sheriffs under the bus implying that everything's ready to go at state level (serious LOL), but since the sheriff's don't have the "live fire" piece in place, that's the reason BM114 isn't 100% ready to be implemented. What a crock!!

I wonder if OSP can now be sued for governmental fraud, waste, and abuse now that they have collected $500,000 oin pending background check fees but are unwilling to process the background checks. That should be an easy win for some lawyer I would think.
Two important words come to mind: Sovereign immunity.

Suing the government isn't impossible, but it's very difficult. Never any easy wins when taking on 'The Man'.

Kind of funny that early in the Harney County TRO hearing this morning, the judge questioned how BM114 could be implemented since the state doesn't have the system in place.
The state's attorney objected saying that the state did have the permitting process in place!! LOL
Judge wasn't amused. He pushed back asking about how a person would be able to go through the entire process to get a gun today.
State attorney then said the only piece not currently in place was the "live fire" piece that the sheriff's are in charge of holding.

Two issues:
1) state attorney specifically used the wording "live fire." I know it's been discussed here on this forum if the weapon handling MUST be live fire or simply showing proficiency (loading, unloading, firing, etc) done via dry fire or with snap caps.
2) bigger issue was the state attorney seriously threw the sheriffs under the bus implying that everything's ready to go at state level (serious LOL), but since the sheriff's don't have the "live fire" piece in place, that's the reason BM114 isn't 100% ready to be implemented. What a crock!!
Let me get this straight? These two actually went to The Harney County Seat/Court House and stood before a judge? At that time they told the judge that everything was in place to get a permit?
Help me here? that sound like a bald face lie, to me anyway. But I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Where is this story? I had to give up trying to keep up with the hundreds of posts on the the situation(S)

This judge is not buying the AGs bull crap. Hopefully he just finds it all unconstitutional and tells them to get bent. I know it's wasting our money but making them run around then throwing it all in their face would be worth it.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top