JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A little birdie late last week stated said to the nature of, the big hold up on BGC's right now is resubmitting all that are more than 30days old...
This makes sense. I was talking with an FFL this morning about how he handles 4473s that go over 30 days. He said OSP will still work on them even though the ATF considers them not valid. Once he gets a computer proceed from OSP, he calls into to OSP and tells them he has a 30 dayer. They give him a second approval number, which he adds to the 4473. I guess it's like resubmitting it but over the phone. That makes ATF happy. If a bunch of FFLs were calling in 30 dayers, the under 21 bg checks along with other misc calls, that would tie up a lot of operators.

I have no idea. What or who would gain from it?
As much as I would like to think some sinister evil from the earths core is pulling OSP BGC strings, I think they really are just overwhelmed and trying to make it through the pile in front of them.

I think chl priority is the only reason (non chl) checks are hitting 30 days and probably why things have slowed to a stop. They need to deal with 30 day forms and figure out a better system.

Looks like the CHL priority cancellation is indeed official. Just snapped this from the OSP site..
So I wonder if "instant approvals" are still going to happen, assuming a computer makes the decision?

CCDC47F7-833C-4C6E-BE2B-2DFDFB12449F.png

Last Edited:
As of recently it doesn't appear they were prioritizing anyway.....so with the huge backlog I understand. Yes, CHL holder.

This is fair imho.
suppose but screws me over personally and there's not point in approving people who won't get the gun anyways in most cases(big box stores and some small ffl aren't calling in to get 2nd approvable on expired forms, just having people submit new ones.) they should concentrate on the people who still stand chance of getting guns unless their Goal is no one gets a gun.

Ok so now we gotta figure out what date they are caught up to processing. I think we can assume about 30 day lead time for now.
sounds like I might as well cancel my order. I really didn't want to get the permit but I already but bunch of shotgun ammo for a shotgun I won't have. ive only got 8 days left to clear before cabalas cancels my order if they dont do so now. they were canceling anyones orders who got put in que to point they wouldn't clear in time which I guess will now be everyone

Ok so now we gotta figure out what date they are caught up to processing. I think we can assume about 30 day lead time for now.
Doesn't that assume there's been a rhyme or reason to how they've been doing it? It seems like they've just been all over the map. Wouldn't surprise me if there's people from late October right next to people from December 4th.

The BGC I submitted on 11/5 came back as approved on 12/6 and I do have the firearms but have to fill out another 4473. I am waiting to see if I get a call today or tomorrow for the BGC I submitted on 11/12.

It really doesn't matter. They were never going to clear the CHL backlog in 30 days even if they ignored the rest. The ONLY way to obtain your purchased goods if you go into the queue is through a FFL who will release after 3 days. It's going to be super interesting watching the queue snowball because of all the 30 day people re-entering. I think we've already passed critical mass where there's too many people in the queue to ever finish in 30 days leading to a de facto ban on all sales. Quite the achievement. Never expected them to ban all guns by creating so much demand for guns that the entire system crashes...

As much as I would like to think some sinister evil from the earths core is pulling OSP BGC strings, I think they really are just overwhelmed and trying to make it through the pile in front of them.
That's my guess as well.

When a person or group of people do something we don't like or don't fully understand, as humans we often have a tendency to automatically assume that the worst possible motivations must be driving their actions.

Sometimes we're right. Oftentimes we aren't. Oftentimes the real problem is that we're acting in an information vacuum, and since nature abhors a vacuum we'll create that information in our own heads to fill the void. This is often how bad information gets started and then spread.

I see this phenomenon on the Nextdoor social media platform all the time. Someone will claim "There's a strange person walking around the neighborhood", and before you know it this strange person is definitely casing houses or otherwise up to no good. Nobody actually knows that of course, but it becomes "fact" soon enough.

I would imagine OSP is currently working with an impossible situation: processing tens of thousands of BCG's while the legal environment is changing literally on an almost daily basis. I'd further imagine that at some point we'll get the full story re: what's been going on. Until then - or until I get verifiable info to the contrary - I'm not going to automatically assume that OSP is trying to screw anyone over.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top