JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
On Wednesday I received an email from a rancher 2 miles south of Burns saying a friend of his told him to contact me about hunting coyotes that are "pestering" his cattle. I called him that night to ask when would be a good time to come down, he replies "now". I started packing to leave Thursday morning!! I made a couple of phone calls to hunt around Redmond and then stay overnight to break up the long drive. Here are the details:

Thursday Afternoon near Madras on a 600 acre ranch covered with thick sagebrush and juniper with meadows. Tried 2 areas on north side of ranch in the junipers with no luck. Hiked over to SW side in the sage and started calling. Two minutes later coyote #1 trots in at 150 yards, one shot with the 223 puts him down.

Friday Morning near Powell Butte on a 300 acre ranch, mostly thick Juniper with scattered sage openings. I hike up near a small lake and started calling. Five minutes later Coyote #2 runs left to right into the small opening, one shot with the 20ga puts him down at 25 yards.

Friday afternoon 2 hours south of Burns on a 16,000 acre ranch, sagebrush with meadows. I meet with rancher and ask what he wants me to do. He replies "kill ‘em, kill ‘em all" and tells me a rough layout of the ranch. I hike through waist high sage to the edge of a 1000 acre cheat grass meadow and see 8 coyotes hanging around a cattle herd about a mile away. I set up on the edge of the sage and place the caller and decoy 30 yards away. When I turn on the ecaller I see coyote #3 start running right at me, a "woof" stops him at 125 yards and the 223 brings him down. I look over to the left and see coyote #4 running right at the decoy. I try woofing to stop him but he keeps on going and attacks the decoy!! He then circles around behind me in the sage and I drop him at 200 yards.

Saturday morning I hike 100 yards from my tent into the sage and start calling. I see Coyote #5 bounding through the sage and stop him with a woof at 130 yards and down he goes. I then hike about 6 miles through sage and juniper in an area the rancher "thought" was thick with yotes, nothing.

At 1300 I drove to a "steel storage area" 200 yards from the ranch house and set up in knee high sage. Five minutes into calling coyote #6 sneaks into view at 110 yards. Down she goes.

I then hike 2 miles along a fence line into the 1000 acre meadow where I can see 4 coyotes in with the cows. I crawl 90 yards into the meadow and set up the ecaller and decoy and crawl back to fence and find a corner post to lean against. I start the caller and three of the yotes start running away!! The forth looks in my direction and slowly starts to move toward me. After 15 minutes I am looking at him through binos when I hear a twang of the fence wire and look over to see coyote #7 running 25 feet away!! He gets to the decoy and stops, the 223 speaks and down he goes. The one I was watching is running away.

I then drive to the base of a butte and start walking around the south side in waist high sage. After five minutes of walking I hear a howl and then see coyote #8 walk out of the sage into the meadow and start mousing. I sneak around even with him, range 150 yards and start the caller. He starts towards me and 10 minutes later hits the 150 yard mark and down he goes.

I continue my walk along the base of the butte and turn a corner and see movement off to my left in the rocks of the butte. Coyote #9 is looking at me from the side of the butte!! I crouch down in the sage, find an opening and the 223 drops him at 76 yards.

Sunday morning I drive one mile from tent and hike 200 yards along an old road in knee high sage with scattered openings. I place the ecaller and decoy 50 yards away on side of road. Two minutes later coyote #10 comes running down the road at full speed, attacks the decoy and then circles to an opening 75 yards away. As I am swinging the rifle over he sees me and starts to move away, a woof stops him and the 223 drops him. Just as I was swinging back to the decoy, coyote #11 comes in and sees me moving and runs away. I start woofing to stop her which she does at 200 yards, you know the rest. Sorry no pics of these two because my cell phone batteries were too cold.

I then drive another mile down the road and hike in 200 yards. I cannot find any big openings so I run back to truck and replace rifle with shotgun. Decoy is 20 yards from me when I start ecaller. I see coyote #12 pop up on an old dike about ½ mile away and he starts running towards me. I can see him now and then when he jumps up to see where the decoy is. He comes in to the decoy and falls to a load of #3 buckshot.

Time is running out so I drive to the butte and hike to back side and find a fence corner to call from. After 15 minutes I am very antsy about the drive back so I stand up and glass the meadow behind me. I see a coyote about 1 mile out in the meadow and think maybe I should hike over and call him before I leave. When I turn back to the area I am calling, I see a coyote standing 115 yards away looking right at me!! I try to sit back down but of course he takes off running!! Just then the rancher drives up so I blame it on him LOL.

I have a slideshow of pictures at

Man that looks like a fun weekend. Heck a silencer and a partner and you would have had a truck load
Hey I haven't seen too many you tubers do close to that good
Howa 1500 in 223 Remington 4-18X50 Swarovski
Remington 1100 20ga #3 buck
Fox pro PX3
Mojo criter decoy
All yotes delivered to fur buyer

You forgot what 223 load;)

Thanks for sharing

I have a Howa 1500 in .30-06 and love it, but my coyote rifle is a Bushmaster Varminter. I hunt on some of the big ranches on Juniper Flat. They have the same problems and same attitude about it. I get a lot of the same type of coyote behavior but I use a mouth call by Primos. I'm interested in getting an electronic caller. Are you happy with your Fox pro PX3 and Mojo critter decoy? Are you taking the whole animal to Don Nichols in Canby? That would be super. I've been doing my own skinning and freezing the hides until sale. I'd rather get less per hide and skip the dirty work. Also, I've always gotten a Furtakers Hunting (only) license because I did bobcats with my hounds, but this year I am not. Do you need a furtakers license to sell coyote pelts?

I have an aunt that runs a alfalfa, hay and cattle ranch and works on Coyote Rock Ranch . They are both just north of Bend (Redmond). My uncle and I went out, him with his .223 and myself with my air rifle (.177) and put 16 coyotes in the bag in only an hour.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews