JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
it makes no sense that death rates take a drastic downturn in the middle of a seasonal outbreak in a two week period, while Covid 19 deaths escalate.

I can see why, the r0 of influenza is 1.3, while the latest info available from the CDC on CV-19 put it at 5.7.

Flu: one person infects 1.3 people. Do this 10x and about 14 people will be infected. (1.3^10=13.8)

CV-19: one person infects 5.7 people. Repeat 10x and that is 36,203,333 people. (5.7^10=36,203,333)

In reality the math doesn't work exactly like that, but that's a good representation on the huge difference between those numbers.

So social distancing will have an even greater effect on reducing the flu than cv-19, which could still climb due to it being much more infectious.

Plus people are staying home if sick, unless they REALLY need a doctor, so more cases of flu will go undiagnosed.

I know the numbers start to decline before lockdown orders were given, but there are several things that could explain it. I won't get into that in this post in order to keep this brief.

Oh great this will end well.

Fantastic. That will help wake up the American people to their founding. :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
I thought by now I would have a little more cred around here than that!

I am not trying to be a provocateur. It IS a COVID-19 thread and I expressed a very legitimate question.

Our entire country depends on our policy makers having reliable information to make good, reasoned decisions.

So a simple question about accounting methods does not mean I want humanity to die a horrible, disease ridden death.

It means I have a brain and would like to understand how the numbers work.

Yes, people have died of the flu this year: Weekly U.S. Influenza Surveillance Report (FluView)

Social distancing policies effect not only SARS-Cov-2 transmission but flu as well. More importantly, people are avoiding health resources for anything other than true emergencies, so our infected counts for flu this year will be lower than any other comparable year.

Flu: one person infects 1.3 people. Do this 10x and about 14 people will be infected. (1.3^10=13.8)

CV-19: one person infects 5.7 people. Repeat 10x and that is 36,203,333 people. (5.7^10=36,203,333)

EDIT: The video is meant as a rough visualization of higher infection rates you mention. Also, as mentioned above, social distancing works on a lot of things. We hear that injuries from car crashes are way down too -- that fact is not evidence that CV-19 is harmless, it is evidence that social distancing makes a person safer.

Perhaps i am reading the chart wrong, but in the upper left corner it states "Pneumonia and Influenza Mortality.." comparing several different seasonal death rates.
The point is it makes no sense that death rates take a drastic downturn in the middle of a seasonal outbreak in a two week period, while Covid 19 deaths escalate. We should have concurrent reports of both, but it appears that Influenza deaths are being under reported.
As i read it these were not all deaths of all causes, (approx.6,700 PER DAY nationwide),only "Flu"

You are right - I missed that - didn't zoom enough.

There are possible explanations - I am not an epidemiologist, but I could assume several reasons, which may or may not be true:

A LOT of people were starting to work from home at about that time - that was the case where I was working. It only takes a day or two after influenza infection for you to experience the illness, whereas it can take weeks for CV. So you spend time home, mostly isolated from flu carriers, you won't get the flu. If a lot of people are in isolation because of CV, then it makes sense that the infection rate and incidence of people with flu goes down dramatically, while at the same time, it may be too late to not catch CV because people are already infected and they don't know it.

Note: The COVID-19 pandemic is affecting healthcare seeking behavior. The number of persons and their reasons for seeking care in the outpatient and ED settings is changing. These changes impact data from ILINet in ways that are difficult to differentiate from changes in illness levels, therefore ILINet data should be interpreted with caution.

Key Updates for Week 14, ending April 4, 2020
Laboratory confirmed flu activity as reported by clinical laboratories continues to decrease sharply and is now low. Influenza-like illness activity, while lower than last week, is still elevated. Influenza severity indicators remain moderate to low overall, but hospitalization rates differ by age group, with high rates among children and young adults.

So a simple question about accounting methods does not mean I want humanity to die a horrible, disease ridden death.

It means I have a brain and would like to understand how the numbers work.
The CDC does not know exactly how many people die from the flu. It is not a reportable disease nationwide. They use a mathematical model to make estimates based on a limited surveillance program. These estimates are very crude and have a huge variance. This season, for example, they estimate somewhere between 24,000 and 62,000 deaths, a difference of 158% between low and high bounds.

From their website:
"CDC does not know the exact number of people who have been sick and affected by influenza because influenza is not a reportable disease in most areas of the U.S. However, CDC has estimated the burden of flu since 2010 using a mathematical model that is based on data collected through the U.S. Influenza Surveillance System, a network that covers approximately 8.5% of the U.S. population (~27 million people)."

For more info see:

The CDC does not know exactly how many people die from the flu. It is not a reportable disease nationwide. They use a mathematical model to make estimates based on a limited surveillance program. These estimates are very crude and have a huge variance. This season, for example, they estimate somewhere between 24,000 and 62,000 deaths, a difference of 158% between low and high bounds.

From their website:
"CDC does not know the exact number of people who have been sick and affected by influenza because influenza is not a reportable disease in most areas of the U.S. However, CDC has estimated the burden of flu since 2010 using a mathematical model that is based on data collected through the U.S. Influenza Surveillance System, a network that covers approximately 8.5% of the U.S. population (~27 million people)."

For more info see:

In other words, a simplistic explanation is that they take a survey of a sample population and extrapolate from there.

Perhaps i am reading the chart wrong, but in the upper left corner it states "Pneumonia and Influenza Mortality.." comparing several different seasonal death rates.
The point is it makes no sense that death rates take a drastic downturn in the middle of a seasonal outbreak in a two week period, while Covid 19 deaths escalate. We should have concurrent reports of both, but it appears that Influenza deaths are being under reported.
As i read it these were not all deaths of all causes, (approx.6,700 PER DAY nationwide),only "Flu"
I'd go with the heading "all US deaths, weekly" rather what's in the upper left. The rates are much too high to be just P&I. There's no way between 45,000 and 65,000 die per week from P&I. The CDC estimates a max of 62,000 flu deaths for all of this flu season. Either that or the scale is wrong.

If the scale is wrong, and it is just P&I mortality, then there is an explanation for the sudden drop. Each year about 15,000 people die from hospital acquired P&I. That is, you go to the hospital for something else and catch pneumonia or influenza in the hospital and die. If, as has been reported, hospitals are hurting because they have cancelled all elective procedures and patient populations are way down except for COVID patients, then you would see a drop in hospital acquired P&I mortality. That's just an educated guess, tho.

Why aren't the grocery unions screaming at the stores to provide better protection for the checkers? They are being breathed on, coughed on by hundreds of shoppers. The tiny sneeze shields they put up are a joke. They are handling thousands of products that were possibly contaminated by the shoppers. The checkers should have N95 masks and face shields. Better yet a completely enclosed Plexiglas cage. When a checker catches the virus, they will pass it on to all the shoppers going through their check stand.

Speaking of which......

Yesterday (4-9-2020) was the first time in over a week that I went food shopping with the GF. The store is like what someone would call an, "Asian Supermarket". Anyway...that market had erected a plexiglass barrier in an effort to try and "protect" the checker and customers.

Aloha, Mark

PS....I highly doubt that the store has a UNION for their checkers. It's more likely....that the owners care about their workers and customers. BTW.....thumbs up, to the owners, management and workers who continue to work during the coronavirus crisis.

Last Edited:
Yeah, anymore I hate to see people, especially seniors, go into the hospital as it seems they get thru whatever fine, and then they catch something in the hospital and don't come out again - not alive anyway.

I got my pneumococcal shot and I am all caught up on everything else. I had a cold/flu just before the whole CV thing blew up, but it only lasted about 3 days, and it was mild, but with a fever, so it was probably the flu - or maybe it was CV, I don't know - I don't think it was CV because it was mostly sinus and never my lungs.

Senator Dr. Scott Jensen of Minnesota came out to expose how the AMA is encouraging American doctors to overcount coronavirus deaths across the US. He showed a 7-page document coaching him, as a doctor, to fill out death certificates with a COVID-19 diagnosis without a lab test to confirm the patient actually had the virus. Why? Because of the package for this relief, hospitals are paid more to attend this virus. NOBODY is dying of the flu any more – only COVID-19

There's money to be made boys!

EVNWn5vU0AA_FQ0.jpg

Senator Dr. Scott Jensen of Minnesota came out to expose how the AMA is encouraging American doctors to overcount coronavirus deaths across the US. He showed a 7-page document coaching him, as a doctor, to fill out death certificates with a COVID-19 diagnosis without a lab test to confirm the patient actually had the virus. Why? Because of the package for this relief, hospitals are paid more to attend this virus. NOBODY is dying of the flu any more – only COVID-19
So if they are getting funding they do not deserve which should be going elsewhere, that is called theft. In this situation it is conspiracy to commit theft. A felony in most placed and in this case, at the federal level if for federal funding. I'm sure they don't think of it that way but it makes it more difficult for us mortals to get accurate statistics to make informed decisions.

This is interesting:

The county's only hospital has 25 beds, no intensive care unit, and serves a population of around 17,000 people. As of Friday, Gunnison has 99 active COVID-19 cases and two deaths.

In a statement accompanying the order, Public Health Director Joni Reynolds said nonresidents are "creating issues" by disregarding stay-at-home orders and "imposing unnecessary burdens on health care, public services, first responders, food supplies and other essential services."

Well, it's from HuffPo, so of course they will single out a Republican for scrutiny and COVID-shaming.
I'm sure there's a ton of Librulz out there that want to do the same thing as he, but that's not being reported cuz it doesn't fit their narrative.

NEW YORK -- The World Health Organization (WHO), UNICEF, the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation have announced a collaboration to increase coordination across the international vaccine community and create a Global Vaccine Action Plan....

The Leadership Council is comprised of:

• Dr. Margaret Chan, Director General of WHO;
  • Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, Director of NIAID, part of the National Institutes of Health;
  • Mr. Anthony Lake, Executive Director for UNICEF;
  • Ms. Joy Phumaphi, Chair of the International Advisory Committee and Executive Secretary, African Leaders Malaria Alliance
  • Dr. Tachi Yamada, President of Global Health at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation;

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top