JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Makes sense to me.

Got the boots, need better binocs. Bout fell over one day when a monocular I was eye balling had a price tag that was more then my rifle, scope and then some cost.

No matter how often I was told about good binocs, I didn't quite understand how high on your gear list they should be.

I'll be rich one day and have all the toys I want - until then I'll just be happy with what I have now:).

I picked up a pair of Leupold BX-3's. A few months ago, my wife spotted a racoon in our backyard at a distance of about 50-75'. I could see that there was something there with the naked eye, but I got out the bino's to test them. I could make out every little detail on that little *************.

This is my outlook on almost everything...
Form Follows Function!!!

I don't care if what i have isn't the prettiest thing out there...but will it get the job done? Just shrug it off.

Most of the time it was more about who had the best food, some guys had to pack their own lunches and you could sure tell.:D People didn't make impressions with their gear, they made it by how safe they hunted and how straight they shot.

An uncle of mine was a big game hunter used to travel the world and hunt this thread reminded me of something he said that would me me laugh.

The success of a great hunting trip is returning with all your ten fingers and toes and leaving your fellow hunters with the same.

I envy you guys who were lucky-enough to have lived here most of your lives; I had to wait until I turned 40...:oops:

Was that pic taken with a Kodac "Instamatic" 110mm film?
No - IIRC 35 mm SLR

But the digital version is, IIRC, a scan of the 30+ year old matte print, so not very good quality.

But it was 35+ years ago, so I could be totally wrong.

I do remember that I had a 35mm SLR somewhere in that time frame, but it might have been afterwards as I didn't yet have my Ruger yet or that would have been what I used for hunting.

Last Edited:
I was wearing yellow rain gear when I shot my first buck. To my eyes I stood out like a sore thumb, but obviously the deer didn't see it that way.
That said, I have some pretty decent camo hunting pants and jacket. What I like is that they are light weight, warm and waterproof. If you hunt around here much you'll appreciate the last part, waterproof. If I didn't have these outer garments, I'd find myself back in that yellow rain gear most of the time...
Also, these clothes are as quiet in the brush as almost any clothing can be. But, if it's dry and fairly warm, I have no issue hunting in blue jeans and a shirt of any given color, but usually shades of green or red.
Where I agree you should spend money is on boots, binoculars and when it's cold, gloves. I don't scrimp on glass for the rifle, but that doesn't mean you gotta spend huge money. I bought a very good used Leupold Vari-X II (older version) at a gun show for about half price of the new version of the same. I have a good pair of Redfield binos that I got on sale at Bi-mart. Small, light and clear. Was so impressed I went back and bought another pair for the wife. (Brownie points) :D
My rifle is a stainless Ruger 77 MKII in 30-06. It's a very accurate gun and I shoot is well as I can shoot any rifle. I spend my "range time" at things like Appleseed events and know what to expect out of myself and my gun at various ranges.
Being able to use the rifle you have effectively is one of the most important things to consider. Just sitting at a bench and zeroing your gun will only get you so far...
My Dad never had any of these advantages until late in life. He hunted with a peep sighted British 303, wore surplus wool pants with red and black plaid wool shirts, and coated his leather boots in boot grease to keep them "waterproof". Never stopped him from bringing home the venison.
It's not what you got, it's how you use it.

I have to spend my money where it counts.
$475.00 on boots. (Bad feet) 450.00 on orthotics.
$2,500 on binos. ( I win in the latest and earliest part of day.)
Reload all ammo
Browning xbolt medallion .300 short mag. Zeiss scope.
Baby wipes for mountain turds.
Nice newer Tundra

Is there better equipment out there, yes. Is there worse, hell yes. I make a very good living. But choose to have a regular house, save a lot of money, and spend extra on my gear. And I'm very comfortable.
It's all about what turns your screw.
But I also work out, so I can walk and hunt harder than them road hunters in western Oregon!

I just don't know where I fit in the club... In early hunting years I started with hand me downs and a 100 dollar Japanese Arisaka 6.5mm, Cheap rain gear (four sizes too big) and no binoculars, Now I buy what I can afford or prioritize. I have some mediocre stuff and top of the line stuff. I almost always put meat on the ground then and still do today. I have earned a better place in life and put nice firearms high on priority list (probably too high), I'm not ashamed of it and shouldn't be. FWIW I put dozens of game animals on the dirt with my Steyr Prohunter '06 before passing it along for my Prohunter 7mm Rem mag with a 5-20 Trijicon (500 yard shots a cinch) as I wanted it for eastern Oregon hunting I've started doing more of, Now I got my Steyr scout 7mm-08 for a all purpose meat maker. Love them. No apologies. What fun is it being scrutinized for buying and using new gear.

To me, its a cart before the horse thing. Guys will go out and buy a $600 Kryptek outfit, because its cool, and wear surplus combat boots because spending $250 on a set of decent boots is "crazy".

Its buying a $1500 Sako Finn Lite and complaining about having to spend $200 for Bushnell Legend binos.

Its having 10k worth of hunting rifles but refusing to buy your own 4x4 and being the constant tag along.

:D I choose my hunting partners not by their gear but by their brain. I have to know they are safe with a gun. After that it's what shape they are in, can they walk 100 feet without gasping for air:D

You can see by the way they dress if they have hunted much and how long they intend to be outdoors. All your gear shows your priorities, how much time you have spent outdoors and how much thought you have put into the hunt.

I tried hunting with a friend once but when we both were shooting at a flock of ducks he muzzle blasted my right ear and that was the end of that.
I never hunted in a deer or elk camp, didn't see it as huntin but party time then get up hungover and go into the woods.... Nope not for me.
I like the lone solitude of being me against the prey.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top