JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Avid shooter, firearm enthusiast, competitor, EDC'er and occasional instructor

I have never hunted anything larger than a rabbit and am keen to get involved (Deer and Elk), I have a couple questions if I may.

I have a number of firearms but the only thing I have remotely acceptable (in WA) is a Scout/Squad M1A. Currently has a 2-7x Vortex Crossfire on it, mounted scout style (forward of the receiver). I'm comfortable out to about 200-225 yards with that set up. I know its not an ideal set up but before I drop more money on a Deer/Elk specific rifle and glass, will the M1A do for now? The downside to the scope is its low light capability being questionable and, being a scout scope, the eye relief at 5X+ magnification can be a challenge. Thoughts, opinions?

In regards to gearing and other prep. I'm an avid outdoors sort and have the gear that comes with such but noting in camo other than role specific items like my plate carrier (which, I dunno, do the deer have rifles these days?!)
Will this gear work? I know everything seems to like the camo but aren't we wearing a crap ton of orange anyway?

Other gear you would suggest that may not be apparent to someone like me?

Finally, I'm a little confused on WHERE exactly I can hunt. I'm very familiar with the bulk of the Teanaway River area as I have camped, fished and hiked the area for 30+ years. Can I just drive up a forest service road on government owned land, park and head out? Or is it more complicated than that. I looked up various sites and maps but had a bit of trouble determining where to hunt. I'm looking at GMU 335, is this a decent and legal area during season?

I have taken and passed the Hunters Safety Course

Side note, I work in bio-tech, specifically in veterinary related tissue processing (large animal, necropsy type stuff) Like Liam Neeson...."I have a very particular set of skills" that I hope helps out if I get lucky.

Any other info, links or advice is absolutely appreciated and thank you folks!

I'm not sure on Washington law, so you'll need to check up on magazine limitations while hunting.

Check your regulations, but it may be too late to do hunting this year. Oregon does not allow for you to purchase a tag after opening. Elk rifle probably hasn't started, so your probably ok if the laws are similar to Oregon.

I use 8x binoculars, spotting scope and range finder; the latter two are not required. Any pack will do for getting the meat out.

Needs:
Binoculars
Rifle (bow works if that's your thing)
Sharp knife
Pack

If you're hunting public land near other fudds, I highly recommend orange. My deer spot is private timber accessible through BLM land and a lock gate, do the only people out there either have a key or hike 1.5+ miles in.

Spend some time and read old threads with all of your questions in it.

Hunters are the hardest group of people to get integrated into - I was in your spot 8-9 years ago. The more you learn alone the more people will help you.

I never got any big game. IMO if you don't have someone to take you or access to private property odds are severely against you.

With all of the money I've spent in gear, gas and tags I'd have been better buying half a cow each year.

Best of luck to you.

There's a lot to unpack.

1. Don't worry about your gear much. You have a rifle you're familiar with. Get some good ammo and use it. Don't worry about a "hunting" rifle for a year or two. There are no mag capacity limitations in WA.

2. Work on fieldcraft. Can you walk in the woods without making a ton of noise and keep a feel for the wind direction?

3. Get rid of cotton in your outdoors clothing. Merino wool or synthetics. Cotton kills.

4. Sign up for OnX or Gaia GPS maps. You can view GMUs and find public land in your preferred GMU.

5. Temper your expectations. You're not likely to even see an animal, let alone get a shot on one right off the bat.

6. You're a bit late to be getting into it. General deer rifle season is...right now!

Your rifle setup with appropriate mag and big game ammo should be ok to get you going. Ive used 165 gr .308 bowler accubonds for a few elk and they work great.

Depending on how and where you hunt (walking/stalking, or sitting , and terrain such as that which requires up close shots), a good rule is to always keep your scope on lowest power setting. This is in case you bump into what you're looking for at very close range. You'll probably both be surprised, and finding a close animal quickly in the scope is of course easier on low scope setting.

Camo is not critical but it helps, depending on terrain and how you'll be hunting (walking or sitting). I walk almost constantly so I like either camo, or even green and brown wool flannel patterns for shirts or jackets. But there's good cheap camo out there if the only purpose is to break up your form. Layering is crucial. Stay away from the color blue and black, and get scent free, non UV brightening laundry detergent like at bimart or on Amazon.

While where I hunt up to a 500 yard shot may be possible, I've never had to shoot a deer or elk over 250 yards. Most have been well under 100 . A lot of it has been just dumb luck for me, but that's also where your sound awareness and stealth should come into play.

For gear, don't ignore having good boots and quality wool socks. Super critical especially if you'll walk a lot. The more gear you carry the stiffer sole boot you might need. Hunter Randy newberg has a podcast from maybe last year where he has a foot Dr talk about foot care while hunting.

But always carry a few large bandaids or nexcare patches and a spare set of socks. Plus other essentials like water, fire starter, emergency blanket, map, rain gear, and a first aid or wound closure kit in case there's an accident while hitting the animal. [Edit: a rope to help secure a deer or elk leg if you're by yourself field dressing it. And a couple large ziploc bags to put the heart and liver in] A headlamp or two with extra batteries should be included. I like the ones that take AAA batteries and carry lots of extra. Others will probably have more great gear tips.

Only other thing I'd say is before you shoot, have a plan on how you'll get the animal out from where it is, and even without an animal, always be aware in the evening that you have to get back to your truck or camp at some point. So especially with elk, don't get overexcited and try to chase them down. They'll lead you on for miles and miles. One time while elk hunting I met a poor Portland hunter in the pouring rain, literally dressed in a ghillie suit, who was exhausted from chasing a herd of elk for hours trying to catch up to them for a shot.

Good luck!

Last Edited:
There's a lot to unpack.

1. Don't worry about your gear much. You have a rifle you're familiar with. Get some good ammo and use it. Don't worry about a "hunting" rifle for a year or two. There are no mag capacity limitations in WA.

2. Work on fieldcraft. Can you walk in the woods without making a ton of noise and keep a feel for the wind direction?

3. Get rid of cotton in your outdoors clothing. Merino wool or synthetics. Cotton kills.

4. Sign up for OnX or Gaia GPS maps. You can view GMUs and find public land in your preferred GMU.

5. Temper your expectations. You're not likely to even see an animal, let alone get a shot on one right off the bat.

6. You're a bit late to be getting into it. General deer rifle season is...right no
Good stuff, thank you and I realize I'm most like looking at next year. In regards to "not even seeing an animal" This always cracks me up as I cant NOT see a deer every time I go out for a day trip or over nighter in the areas I'm usually in, had a huge buck literally wander into my make shift camp site this year. Does this have to do with it not being deer season at those times? That said, I have no expectations other than to get out and enjoy the outdoors, meat in the freezer would just be a fantastic bonus.

Good stuff, thank you and I realize I'm most like looking at next year. In regards to "not even seeing an animal" This always cracks me up as I cant NOT see a deer every time I go out for a day trip or over nighter in the areas I'm usually in, had a huge buck literally wander into my make shift camp site this year. Does this have to do with it not being deer season at those times? That said, I have no expectations other than to get out and enjoy the outdoors, meat in the freezer would just be a fantastic bonus.
Well... I'll tell ya a little known secret about the PNW. Our big game animals can READ just fine and maintain a hunters almanac. The know exactly what day the various seasons start and end and have fantastic senses of humor. Intentianally frolicing about for humans... scraping and pawing vegetation and laying droppings on a run to create as much sign as possible.

Opening day, they all head for their underground bunkers and won't be seen again until the morning after season close.

You WILL see elk all over during deer season. Does during buck season and deer in massive herds during elk season. They think it's hilarious!

Anyone that tells you different ain't from around here or they're just trying to sell you something.

Welcome to the PNW!!

Well... I'll tell ya a little known secret about the PNW. Our big game animals can READ just fine and maintain a hunters almanac. The know exactly what day the various seasons start and end and have fantastic senses of humor. Intentianally frolicing about for humans... scraping and pawing vegetation and laying droppings on a run to create as much sign as possible.

Opening day, they all head for their underground bunkers and won't be seen again until the morning after season close.

You WILL see elk all over during deer season. Does during buck season and deer in massive herds during elk season. They think it's hilarious!

Anyone that tells you different ain't from around here or they're just trying to sell you something.

Welcome to the PNW!!
Was born in Auburn, should have known about the bunkers....it makes sense!

Welcome to the PNW!!
ezaktly! When I backpack or hike during the non hunting season they are all over the place. I've always had a theory that during hunting season they take Caribbean cruises. I even remember as a kid my Dad pointing out does covering for their buck and leading us away. They learn over time (the surviving ones anyway) when people are dangerous and when they aren't.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top