JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've been pretty satisfied with my GHB for over a year now.

Going into hunting season, my first couple trips out I just raided my GHB and then put everything back when I got home.

I tend to want redundancy in any of your packs but also don't want a 50# pack to hump around all day looking for big game.

So some things are obvious to me, I don't need game bags or skinning knives in my GHB but do in my Hunting pack. Other things I feel like I need start to push into the Bushcrafting/Survival arena and I wonder if it is prudent to Pack enough stuff for basic survival for a few days should something happen - I break a leg, get snowed in, have to camp out cuz I shot an elk at dusk etc.

I'd be interested to hear what you do with your Pack during the season, do you shuffle, do you pack it and leave it or do you just toss some junk in a bag and get on with it:D.

I'm looking into packing my bag for the season and just leaving it packed so I'm interested if there are little things I may not have thought of bringing that you would never leave at home.

Thanks!

3:30 AM and I'm enjoying some coffee before heading out on the 2018 opening day of western deer season. My hunting party crashed and burned on controlled hunt draws for our usual eastern Oregon units... but, can't win them all. I always go out Opening day, then will hold off until near the end of season when the weather cools off and the rains come.
Depending on the weather, what and where I am hunting, on foot I will carry at the minimum, a shoulder bag with the usual day trip goodies like a lunch, snacks, water and hunt stuff like range finder, headlamp, paracord, flagging tape, first aid kit, moon floss, maybe a camera and at the least a compass. I'm getting fairly used to a Garmin GPS, so that may get tossed in if I'm hunting unfamiliar territory.
Some survival items get tossed in, like matches/lighter and tinder, two space blankets, a Lifestraw, a leatherman supertool, and some glo-sticks. I'm sure I'm forgetting some items, but that is really about it. This bag goes with me no matter what I am hunting, and often as the day warms up things like gloves and knit caps will end up being carried in it.
For quad and just plain old truck hunting I have a one of those heavy duty, water resistant tool bags filled with goodies like a single burner white gas stove, a fuel bottle, small pot, cans of soup, tea, instant coffee, and more survival items. To answer the question if these bags stay packed year around... they do. Maybe the rangefinder and GPS will come out, but the bags are permanent fixtures in my life.
Well, the P&J sammies are packed, thermos is full... time to go crunch around in the woos. Good hunting and best of luck ya' all!

Last Edited:
The less the better.
Your not packing in camp 10 miles.
Bring what you absolutley need for a day.

I bring a small first aid kit with tourniquet, extra ammo, game bags, knife, flagging tape, headlamp and an extra set of batteries, snacks, water, this year I'm added a gps. And of course my hunting license!
If I'll be hiking in further then I'll take my small pack burner, mountain house meal, and coffee.

I might be forgetting something.

Other things I feel like I need start to push into the Bushcrafting/Survival arena and I wonder if it is prudent to Pack enough stuff for basic survival for a few days should something happen - I break a leg, get snowed in, have to camp out cuz I shot an elk at dusk etc.
too heavy. But not that I'm not concerned about an accident happening... I'll carry an extra space blanket to double up with, especially if its raining, also they can be used as a makeshift tarp if you bring some thin paracord. I do have a 6x8' silnylon tarp Ive carried sometimes but I'm not practiced anymore in pitching it. I'm not too concerned about a real emergency like breaking a leg, if that happens I push the button on my PLB.

I'd be interested to hear what you do with your Pack during the season, do you shuffle, do you pack it and leave it or do you just toss some junk in a bag and get on with it:D.
I just basically put in the few things I need and leave it for the season. Its funny, I was packing up my pack tonight for the season and took a pic and thought about posting a whats in your pack thread here but found this one instead.

I use a suspension fanny pack for day trips like this one:

4729C736-421F-4911-A9EA-EC5E8BA233B1.jpeg

In the pack:
IFAK w/tourniquet
Knives + Multitool
Game bags
550 cord
A nylon cartridge case w/10 cartridges
Flashlight
Headlamp
Batteries
Range finder
Water
High energy/low poop food
TP/wipes
Whistle
Flare gun
Signal mirror

When elk hunting or mule deer hunting, I strap that pack to a pack frame. Once the hauling starts, I dont stop until its all done. I'm not staying with a carcass all night.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top