JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My buddies and I got together this last weekend to get our hunting gear and load up some ammo. One guy has a heavy barrelled 300 win mag in a manners stock with a yard of scope with mounts that appear to be lag bolted onto it. He easily has $2500 into it. Another guy has a suppressed AR10 type rifle in 260 that is all camofied and weighs about 15 pounds. Who knows how much he has wrapped up in that. They both drool over each others rifle. I whip out my rifle for the year, an M70 featherweight in 270 with a Leupold 6x36 fixed power scope and it doesnt get a second look.

Everyone has Sitka or Kryptek camo but me. I found these stretchy jeans at Costco that are uber comfortable and tend to wear brown or olive colored carhartt long sleeve shirts over non camo layers. Why does anyone need camo underwear? I also use a $12 orange vest vs the $50 camo kind.

But im the only one with a pack frame, decent binoculars, decent knives, good boots and a decent range finder and.......a truck.

Id rather have the last things mentioned and hunt with an H&R handy rifle with open sights than have a ton of money wrapped up in ninja camo and a crew served rifle. Thats just me.

I used to have a 303 British rifle:s0035: that was ugly as Hell, but it could drop an Elk at 400 yards. Ya, I hear Ya ! I drive an ugly old Ford Ranger 4x4 Pickup but I love it. I maintain it well and it goes into the hills just fine.:s0168: I get laughs and funny looks all the time on the freeway or in town, but that's ok with me. Its paid for, reliable and did not cost me a small fortune ! :s0083:

I used to have a 303 British rifle:s0035: that was ugly as Hell, but it could drop an Elk at 400 yards. Ya, I hear Ya ! I drive an ugly old Ford Ranger 4x4 Pickup but I love it. I maintain it well and it goes into the hills just fine.:s0168: I get laughs and funny looks all the time on the freeway or in town, but that's ok with me. Its paid for, reliable and did not cost me a small fortune ! :s0083:
I use a piece a crap Bubba'd by me 03-A3 that I bought when I was 16. kerpow!

Funtional over fantastic for me anyday (when hunting;)).

And that camo... Holy sheep I saw what sportmans asks for a price and about fell over. I think I paid $20 for my pants and a bit more for the coat.

I am in the "needs better binocs" category though:(.

I've had dear come up and eat out of my hand with street clothes on, I don't think ya nee expensive camo:rolleyes:

Yea, those are not stupid animals. They know where they are safe and when hunting seasons are.

My mom asked me, "Why do you need any camo clothing? My grandad would get on his jeans and come home with a deer?".

I tell her my great grandad had a 8000 acre ranch and there were deer everywhere. I have to share public lands with a bunch of yahoos and I'll take every advantage I can.

I've always thought the camo was to hid from the other hunters! Twice I have been sitting by the base of a tree watching a Christmas tree plantation and had other hunters walk within 20 ft of me and not notice I was there. Blue jeans and a camo Remington 3 way parka.

Oh and I pack a 1977 era Rugar M77R in 30-06 with some Tasco World Class I bought used at a gun shop in the 80's. Or a 100+ year old Winchester depending on the weather.

But bless all hunters and heavy rifles. I remember Elmer Keith hunted with a 18 lb bull barrel 30-06 a bit.. generally across his legs on a horse though.
it's all good

Now my coyote rifle is a completely different matter altogether

Savage model 12 VLP DBM in .243 Mueller 4-16X 56mm Mil Dot scope.

About 14lbs

Savagemodel12wscope_zpsdbd50013.jpg

Yea, those are not stupid animals. They know where they are safe and when hunting seasons are.

My mom asked me, "Why do you need any camo clothing? My grandad would get on his jeans and come home with a deer?".

I tell her my great grandad had a 8000 acre ranch and there were deer everywhere. I have to share public lands with a bunch of yahoos and I'll take every advantage I can.

Take some apples huntin with ya , give it a try:D:D

When I started hunting I carried a sporterized Enfield .30-06. Lots of heavy without a lot of accuracy!
Soon I bought a light weight, Mauser based rifle built by Wes Reynolds, a fine gunsmith from days gone by! .30-06, also it is about 1MOA if I'm careful! It's a bit punishing to shoot but I'll trade a sore shoulder for hauling a monster rifle all day anytime!:)

Ya know a nice Yugo SKS with the gas switch turned off is pretty inexpensive and pretty accurate just slap a modified 5rounder on it and go huntin.
I also do not see what trying to shoot a mile off is needed. Maybe its me but anyone ever hiked in the bush knows every hundred yards is a pain in the arse and then trying to carry all that back ? No thanks if its not within the SKS range I am not going to hike., I prefer the hunt and trying to get as close with skill. Not spend 5K to get 300 worth of meet.

I found these stretchy jeans at Costco that are uber comfortable and tend to wear brown or olive colored carhartt long sleeve shirts over non camo layers.
The only part of your post that I slightly disagree with is the choice of a brown Carhartt shirt. I try not to dress in the color that everyone out there is hoping to shoot at. I've often heard the term, "If it's brown, it's down", and I've seen guys shoot at noise. There is definitely room to debate whether it is better to be highly visible (hunter orange) or semi-invisible (camo), but dressing in the primary target's color seems silly. Do you also wear a hat with antlers on it? (Please note sarcasm in last sentence).

The only part of your post that I slightly disagree with is the choice of a brown Carhartt shirt. I try not to dress in the color that everyone out there is hoping to shoot at. I've often heard the term, "If it's brown, it's down", and I've seen guys shoot at noise. There is definitely room to debate whether it is better to be highly visible (hunter orange) or semi-invisible (camo), but dressing in the primary target's color seems silly. Do you also wear a hat with antlers on it? (Please note sarcasm in last sentence).

I have to wear 400 sq inches of orange in WA regardless of what I wear. I wear olive or brown shirts just so I create less of an unnatural outline.

I can see what youre saying though.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top