JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
so I would like to teach my daughter to shoot the same rifle I learned with only problem it is a Winchester 1890 chambered in 22 long and I cannot find any. I have been thinking that since 22 long and Long rifle have the same case length and the only difference is the bullet length if I just cut the tips off to make them the same length would that cause any problems . I'm not worried about accuracy. I don't want to modify the rifle just shoot it occasionally . It will only cycle and fir 22 long. The picture I posted is from left to right 22l, cut down 22lr and 22lr. I know it is a lot of work but want to shoot this old rifle. Thanks

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last Edited:
Also . you could just hand ream it a touch in OAL from long to a long rifle .
reamers for .22 are not that expensive and you might even keep eye-out for a used reamer .Then just get a T-handle & a small tin of rapid tap over at harbor freight .
( IMHO ) Doing a quick ream wont kill the value . The worth of that particular Win. pump for .22 longs is not much, as that is the most common .along with to WMR also . Last old win. pump in WMR that I had was a good plinker and great for the Gophers .
I think the old pump Win's that are worth the Big coin is the Gallery pumps chambered in .22 Short ( if ) it was pretty cherry .

Last Edited:
Thanks for the suggestion , I've read that you also have to change the lifter and carrier if you do that and that is not something I want to do.

Be careful with the lifter, as they can be squeezed shut a little bit when the gun is apart and knocked around as that can give you loading problems.
I picked up a beautiful 1906 for cheap that must have been dropped when apart.
It took me awhile to figure out the problem and it now shoots short, long, & long rifle perfectly.

Be careful with the lifter, as they can be squeezed shuts a little bit when the gun is apart and knocked around as that can give you loading problems.
I picked up a beautiful 1906 for cheap that must have been dropped when apart.
It took me awhile to figure out the problem and it now shoots short, long, & long rifle perfectly.

What was your rifle originally chambered for?

All three sizes. s, l & lr.

I shoot CCI CB Long ammo in my vintage Savage bolt action rifle that I had a gunsmith member here "Velsey" on NWF thread the barrel for my Sparrow suppressor. It's wicked quiet and gets the job done on the local pests.

You can get it online at DowdleSports.com

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjW64qDx8vJAhVjqIMKHQPYBUcQFghbMAw&url=http://www.dowdlesports.com/CCI-22-CB-Long-Ammo-Per100_p_39745.html&usg=AFQjCNFK9cFFu9lRGOXHZhQJvuVxh7eDvA&sig2=w80ymWB51HOnmF1WpkX7lA

Last Edited:
WAIT A MIN DO NOT MODIFY ANYTHING.

Winchester Model 1890's made prior to 1906 and some later then that were made as single caliber rifles. .22short in the rare gallery models .22L in almost all others. Not until after the Model 1906 with its universal carrier was marketed did 1890's change to using all 3 lengths of .22. A rifle designed to use Longs will NOT feed either .22 short or Long Rifle.

If you modify the rifle you will ruin the collector value (which is getting to be well north of a grand for a nice example)

Sending you a PM

22 long is available---the local Bi-Mart here had some a while back that came in by mistake.
Go talk to your local Bi-Mart. Tell them to get the All-Sports Catalog, look up CCI
22 LONG, and check availability.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads