JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am considering ordering a 45acp barrel and bolt for the AR. I have a choice of a 1/16 twist barrel and 1/10 twist barrel. I would normally run 180gr to 230gr cast, plated and fmj projectiles but would like the option of sizing down some cast .458 bullets to run some heavy for caliber loads occasionally. What is the upper limit of bullet weight for the 1/16 twist? If I go with the 1/10 twist will that cause any problems for lighter 45cal cast/plated bullets.

I don't know about the twist but loading heavy bullets in the 45 acp case you run out of room for the powder around 250gr bullets because of the short leade in the 45 acp chamber. I don't see the need to size .458 bullets when .452's are available in weights way beyond what will work in the 45acp chamber. You might try the .450 Bushmaster for the use of .452 bullets or the .458 SOCOM for the .458 bullets, (I think that's right, if not please forgive my ignorance of things ARrrr)

The 1/10 twist barrel I am looking at, is from KAK made on a Green Mtn Blank. I have no idea what the freebore looks like in it?

I have some 45 super brass so I can run a little higher pressure for the heavy bullet loads. I think the barrel will handle well beyond 45acp pressures.

The 1/10 twist barrel I am looking at, is from KAK made on a Green Mtn Blank. I have no idea what the freebore looks like in it?

I have some 45 super brass so I can run a little higher pressure for the heavy bullet loads. I think the barrel will handle well beyond 45acp pressures.
Does the manufacturer state this in writing?

The barrel might, but this is for a blowback rifle: Will the action handle .45 Super?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews