JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello my reloading family, I have some questions on whether or not some 223/5.56 brass I recently got can be converted back to standard 223/5.56, 300BO or just scrap it?
So to start the brass that I have is both 223 & 5.56 with the glaring difference from standard cases is that they are once fired blank rounds. So they have that odd star crimp on the necks. Some of them have smaller shoulders with slightly fatter necks than standard cases.
So can theses be saved and returned to standard case shape(s) or are they destined for the scrap bin?
**Added photos.
I know i can trim down the one with the red marking but not sure what's up with the cannelure markings.
As for the ones with the green markings I'm not sure about those.
20220718_215849.jpg 20220718_220056.jpg

Last Edited:
Hello my reloading family, I have some questions on whether or not some 223/5.56 brass I recently got can be converted back to standard 223/5.56, 300BO or just scrap it?
So to start the brass that I have is both 223 & 5.56 with the glaring difference from standard cases is that they are once fired blank rounds. So they have that odd star crimp on the necks. Some of them have smaller shoulders with slightly fatter necks than standard cases.
So can theses be saved and returned to standard case shape(s) or are they destined for the scrap bin?
My vote would be to convert to 300BO unless they can be reloaded as blanks.

My vote would be to convert to 300BO unless they can be reloaded as blanks.
I'm sure they probably could be loaded as blanks again but trying to see if they can be saved and become beautiful loaded rounds, be it 223/5.56 or 300BO. I'm going to add a picture to better show how they currently look.

I'd convert them to 300 blackout.
As cheap as 223/5.56 cases are why try reloading these to 223/5.56.
I have some of these cases and they are in the bucket of 223/5.56 brass to be converted.

223/5.56 range brass can be bought for $60 a thousand.
I have a couple thousand 223/5.56 cases extra I could part with.

The thing is I'm not sure what's going on with the ones that have the green markings as they don't appear to be the same as the 223 case(rose colored). I think they may have been used as 300BO but I don't use 300BO so I unfortunately don't have anything to compare it to with me to find out.

The thing is I'm not sure what's going on with the ones that have the green markings as they don't appear to be the same as the 223 case(rose colored). I think they may have been used as 300BO but I don't use 300BO so I unfortunately don't have anything to compare it to with me to find out.
They do look like .300 AAC blanks. Never new such existed.

Their photo:

R.jpeg

Yeah the one with the rose crimp seems simple enough as it matchs a standard case but with a longer neck, so I just need to cut off the excess. As for the ones with the green markings, I'm not sure about those yet.
I was thinking that to use the green ones in a 223/5.56 you would have to fireform a shoulder along the way.

When I started converting .223/5.56 brass, to blk, I ran across a spreadsheet that dealt with neck thickness tolerances for 300blk and what brass to use or not use based on body brass thickness (sorry, I don't have the spreadsheet to share, you can probably find it). Remember, the neck brass for a blk converted case comes from the sidewall of the parent brass...

I only use Lake City for conversions, so I can't say for other brass. From memory, the brass from 5.56 blank brass is not recommended for converting to 300blk. I may be wrong, but when I was researching brass to convert, the blank brass was deemed a no-go. It might have had nothing to do with the neck, might have been due to the base and pressures for supers...

Sorry, I don't remember if it was the brass composition, the sidewall thickness, or w/e, just that it was not recommended.

If you have reliable data to the contrary, let me know, as brass ain't cheap anymore...

For plinking rounds I never trimmed new neck thickness. I just ran the converted brass in the bolt and said hell with it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top