JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is it the original K-32 type or the 16-4 in .32 H&R Mag?

I have .32 H&R data that I used with 16-4's. My .32 S&W Longs were in J frame configuration. It's been a long time since I loaded .32 S&W Long but as I recall I had good luck just using book data typically with Bullseye.

If you ever get into modernish .32-20 in revolver, I have some experimental data that I came up with for that. At one time, I had a custom cylinder in .32-20 fitted for one of my 16-4's.

I started loading for 32 long to keep my Moms gun shooting. She had a pre WWII S&W Lemon Squeezer.
I milled a Lee 90 gr TC bullet mold to deliver a 71 gr bullet. I have used these in 32 long, short ACP, and 32 H&R Mag. It has been really accurate in hers and all my guns. DR

Mine is a S&W model 16-3. Chambered in 32 Long, not 32 H&R. If I like it enough, there may be a Model 16-4 in my future, but, it I need more power, I have some big bores I can go to. Part of the reason I bought thiss was that I spent WAY too much of my miss spent youth shooting full power 44's and 454 Casulls. I attribute some neve damage/tremers to that. I am looking for both Accurate target loads, and Small game/pest popping rounds. Not ready to give up centerfires for .22's quite yet.....

You can have the chambers reamed deeper to .32 H&R and have the choice. Maybe $100 or a little more. The old Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook (1978) had a heck of a .32 S&W Long load, but sadly the HS-5 powder is long gone. 115 grain LSWC at almost 1100fps. That would sting. Here are some resources:

Last Edited:
You can have the chambers reamed deeper to .32 H&R and have the choice.
A person can do anything they want with their property. BUT: I cringe at such mods on collector firearms, of which all the Smith & Wesson .32's are now. Even the 16-4's made in .32 H&R Mag, some owners have unadvisedly had theirs reamed out to .327 Fed mag, impacts the collector value of the gun. That's only my opinion; people may do what they will.

If I like it enough, there may be a Model 16-4 in my future,
The 16-4 has the bbl. underlug, which at first I didn't know if I'd like but shooting experience caused me to embrace the feature. The two 16-4's I had were four inch bbl. which as it turns out were lowest in production. Six inch were more numerous, followed by the 8-3/8. In a few years production, less than 9,000 of the 16-4's were made, they have gotten expensive.

.327 is foolish, but H&R runs at .38 Spl pressures. I bought a $50 spare ctylinder, so no harm, no foul.
.327 foolish? how so? I can shoot .327 federal mag, .32 H&R mag, .32 long,.32 short, and so I hear .32 acp. name another firearm that will run 5 different cartridges.
seems very versatile to me.

.327 foolish? how so? I can shoot .327 federal mag, .32 H&R mag, .32 long,.32 short, and so I hear .32 acp. name another firearm that will run 5 different cartridges.
seems very versatile to me.
My bad. Comment was regarding reaming a .32 S&W or H&R to .327 as a bad idea. 45,000 PSI in a gun intended for 15,000-21,000. By itself, it is a fine cartridge.

You can have the chambers reamed deeper to .32 H&R and have the choice. Maybe $100 or a little more. The old Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook (1978) had a heck of a .32 S&W Long load, but sadly the HS-5 powder is long gone. 115 grain LSWC at almost 1100fps. That would sting. Here are some resources:

po18guy, Those were some great resources! I really appreciate it!

Thanks!

po18guy, Those were some great resources! I really appreciate it!

Thanks!
You are very welcome. As you can see, you do have some options. In a modern weapon one can safely perk the .32 up to "more than reasonable", since it was designed in the age of softer steel, potentially primitive or no heat treatment and weakly if not poorly designed top break revolvers. Its pressures were kept low for that reason.
If you can locate a spare cylinder, it can be chambered in .32 H&R, but you might find the S&W to be just fine when warmed up.

Last Edited:
Well, you do have some options - that's for sure. In a modern weapon one can safely perk the .32 up to "more than reasonable", since it was designed in the age of softer steel, potentially primitive or no heat treatment, weakly if not poorly designed top break revolvers. Its pressures were kept low for that reason.
If you can locate a spare cylinder, it can be chambered in .32 H&R, but you might find the S&W to be just fine when warmed up.
This is actually the gun/cartridge I was looking for! Had I wanted a 32 H&R in a Smith, I could have bought one for much less money, but this intrigued me, and I think it will do everything I need. I see it as a plinking, informal target shooting and small game/pest gun. I do have to say that the idea of another cylinder has a bit of appeal though!

This is actually the gun/cartridge I was looking for! Had I wanted a 32 H&R in a Smith, I could have bought one for much less money, but this intrigued me, and I think it will do everything I need. I see it as a plinking, informal target shooting and small game/pest gun. I do have to say that the idea of another cylinder has a bit of appeal though!
A 3" 30-1 in .32 Long I inherited from my mom. Probably 25 rounds through it. Thai stocks.

1689797265202.png

Sweet revo! .32 Long is super fun. I've loaded with success using a few fast shotgun powders, generally under 100 gr flat nosed coated lead, IIRC around 800 fps.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top