JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A "Normal Load" for me in .45 Colt would be 26 to 28 Gr of B.P. under a 220 gr lead Bullet. Not bad performance, certainly more then the Poof, tink, but safe enough to not cause any troubles, Besides, this is a pretty accurate load out of these!
Remember, you can always double the speed a them slugs by shooting old movie cowboy style! lol

tumblr_mxalu0nOMs1qhk04bo1_400.gif

The original Black powder loading ( 40 grains of 2F , 810 fps) or its Smokeless equivalent with a 250- 255 grain bullet moving out around 860 fps has worked well , for over a hundred years.
Why mess with success?

I get that all guns are different and some like one load better than others...
All that I am saying is that the basic , simple loads may do best for most every type of shooting you might need.
Andy

An easy hand loading caliber. Extremely affordable if you hand load. Over a century of loading data available.
I use cast bullets without gas check for the range which allows me to shoot it often.
All the cowboy guns I have shot cannot begin to emulate the comfort and pleasure of shooting and carrying my unjustly maligned S&W 25-5 in 45colt. Is accuracy, balance, fit and feel has delighted everyone who has shot it.
IMGP0273.JPG

Ahaw heck Sarg, it's just for Sh!t's and Giggles, Not like any one actually carries any of these for daily carry ( Or DO They? hummmmmm) Worked for many a year in the past, maybe they still do! Personally, I just enjoy the fun of shooting ANY THING COOL, and these Are pretty damn cool!

A client of mine drew his .45LC SA Colt, to show me, from under his leather vest behind his hip and I didn't even know he had it on him. I mentioned him before, a retired cardiac surgeon. He told me that he had killed two men, two different incidents, with it up around the Midwest somewhere. Sounds like it's a for sure man stopper. Don't let anybody tell you it can't be carried concealed. Looked like a shorter barrel than a range queen model.

Last Edited:
I was this |---| close to getting into the 45 LC..... but the 10mm won as my new cartridge as it was cheaper to shoot.

It's still on my list though. I think it's an excellent cartridge.

:(

I don't particularly like adding more calibres, it becomes a pain the back side to 'manage' - however i'm getting to the point where i have enough 'stuff' that i won't be able to fire much of anything.

Based on that, being able to buy a box of range ammo every so often for the odd calibres will be plenty to have for my low use firearms - .44 mag, .303 British, .45 Colt etc.

Anyway, i've got a rough idea on the first two for range ammo prices, but not sure on the .45 colt, best place to get small amounts of range priced ammo? and how much is normally a good price?
The 45 Colt is among my favorite calibers, very easy to get components and handload for. I've loaded it way down for plinking and way up (in a Blackhawk only) to compete with 44 mag velocities. Lots of options for platforms to shoot it out of as well..

The 45 Colt is among my favorite calibers, very easy to get components and handload for. I've loaded it way down for plinking and way up (in a Blackhawk only) to compete with 44 mag velocities. Lots of options for platforms to shoot it out of as well..

My Judge pistol and my wife's Circuit Judge will shoot both .410 and .45LC. I've never shot the Long Colt out of them because someone mentioned gumming up the cylinders. Just once I'd like to try it tho. :)

My Judge pistol and my wife's Circuit Judge will shoot both .410 and .45LC. I've never shot the Long Colt out of them because someone mentioned gumming up the cylinders. Just once I'd like to try it tho. :)
It's a very easy shooting cartridge..I worked up a plinking load for my 74 year old mother and she did just fine!

I got out of .45 LC. I had only one gun in it, and sold that (a Freedom Arms Model 97). I figured it made no sense since I was so far into ..44 Mag. On the other hand if I was just starting out and wanted to get into a heavy caliber, I might well go with .45 LC rather than .44 Mag. Just not the way it worked out.

I had also heard many warnings in the past regarding loading the .45 Colt to .44 magnum and above pressures due to the "weak brass".

John Linebaugh has disputed that, and found the modern versions of the brass were roughly equivalent in strength. The problem IIRC has been sloppy tolerances in the guns since the caliber is old and things were not so precise in those days. Modern guns, particularly the Linebaugh guns and others of this ilk, can take high pressure just fine.

Linebaugh's Custom Sixguns - The .45 Colt - Dissolving the Myth, Discovering the Legend

Last Edited:
Ive loaded thousands and thousands of 45 Colt rounds to 44 mag level over the past 30 years for use in Rugers and lever guns. In that time Ive split maybe 6 cases and they all had at least 5 loadings through them already.

I dont even like having 44 mag stuff around because there is a real chance it will get mixed into the 45 colt brass.

most of my own 45LC loads over the last 35+ years have been in the moderate Cowboy Action levels. Brass has survived multiple reloads into perhaps dozens of times average. While case mouth splits were more frequent when excessive belling was employed, in general 'brass brass' cases were considerably robust for at least *that* level of reloads.

More frequent mid-body splits were encountered with whatever the bright shiny 'silver brass' was.

Frequency of brass loss due to splitting, in approximately 500 rounds per month in both SAA revolver & lever carbine, might range from ~zero~ loss to a couple per match for 2 or 3 shooters. One memorable time there was 6, but of known very aged & re-re-reloaded brass.

Still the loss of whatever flavor of 45LC brass, was in the 1-2% range. I reloaded my new brass so many time lost track of lifespan. Sometimes the reloading phase would split a case unexpectedly.

In any case, at this level of 'moderate loads' a split might result in a little more difficult extraction. Rarely did a lever gun require extra attention to remove stuck split case....maybe 2 or 3 times in nearly 15 years of match conditions.

most of my own 45LC loads over the last 35+ years have been in the moderate Cowboy Action levels. Brass has survived multiple reloads into perhaps dozens of times average. While case mouth splits were more frequent when excessive belling was employed, in general 'brass brass' cases were considerably robust for at least *that* level of reloads.

More frequent mid-body splits were encountered with whatever the bright shiny 'silver brass' was.

Frequency of brass loss due to splitting, in approximately 500 rounds per month in both SAA revolver & lever carbine, might range from ~zero~ loss to a couple per match for 2 or 3 shooters. One memorable time there was 6, but of known very aged & re-re-reloaded brass.

Still the loss of whatever flavor of 45LC brass, was in the 1-2% range. I reloaded my new brass so many time lost track of lifespan. Sometimes the reloading phase would split a case unexpectedly.

In any case, at this level of 'moderate loads' a split might result in a little more difficult extraction. Rarely did a lever gun require extra attention to remove stuck split case....maybe 2 or 3 times in nearly 15 years of match conditions.
I rarely load the 45 Colt to magnum velocities any more unless I'm heading into bear country. Out of my Blackhawk, the most accurate loads seem to be in the 800-850 fps range anyway using Unique. I only buy Starline new brass, but will use Winchester if necessary. One of the most surprising things I discovered, however, is how well 45 Colt performs out of an older Winchester lever action set up for long range shooting. I was in Tonasket, WA last year at an informal shoot with some buddies and we were lobbing lead projectiles at a steel plate out to 650 yards. Yep.. we put a fairly healthy arc into the trajectory, but we had no problem hitting on target with a very audible "ding". The guy was loading with some old Herco powder he had on his back shelf; apparently the rifle liked it. The 45 Colt is anything but an outdated cartridge as I continually find more ways it amazes me.

Myk357

Certainly my favorite mild load using Trail Boss at that!
I would like to have seen & participated at 650 yards, although some kind of ballistic reentry sight adjustment would have been needed on my loads....last time I chronied my mildest recipe it was around 725 in a SSA revolver. On the other hand, you could shoot one handed all day with no geezeritis flaring up the next day. I had switched to light loads due to work related carpal tunnel issues.+

My everyday load is 9.0 grains of Unique under a 265 gr hardcast Keith. Great round, have dropped two deer with it, no problems. Easy shooting. For bear/elk I go with 325 gr hardcast wide nose flat point over 24 gr of H110--that one will get your attention.

The great thing about the 45 Colt, is I ordered up a bunch of 45 Cowboy Special brass, got some Trail Boss powder, and 160 grain lead bullets and loaded up some rounds for my kid--it's a bit more expensive than a BB gun, but one heckuva lot more fun.

My everyday load is 9.0 grains of Unique under a 265 gr hardcast Keith. Great round, have dropped two deer with it, no problems. Easy shooting. For bear/elk I go with 325 gr hardcast wide nose flat point over 24 gr of H110--that one will get your attention.

The great thing about the 45 Colt, is I ordered up a bunch of 45 Cowboy Special brass, got some Trail Boss powder, and 160 grain lead bullets and loaded up some rounds for my kid--it's a bit more expensive than a BB gun, but one heckuva lot more fun.

Where did you find that cowboy special brass?

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top