JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Black powder frames have a screw in the front of the frame to take out the cylinder and a charcoal finish is a bright blue almost like a case color blue ... very pretty but not so durable. ( long lasting finish that is ... )

pre war finish has a push button cylinder release and a darker rich blue finish.
I'll look at the Uberti site and give you some model numbers , names or what they call their revolvers , not what Colt called them...

Just checked on Uberti.com
Old model charcoal finish ...Their name for what I and Colt call a blackpowder frame / finish
New model their name what I and Colt are referring to for a revolver made around 1900 and later. ( pre war )

this what happens when you ask advise of a historic minded gun guy who thinks like the original makers ... Sorry for the confusion.

Andy

Last Edited:
google-fu helps in discovering such nuanced differences; be inventive in search terms & between auction sites & test/review sites you'll come up with a wide range of currently available specimens;

Catalog
lists current models;

There is considerable production model cosmetic variation available over a period of years, which the mfg will offer from time to time.

This single biggest choice-point IMHO is whether you prefer an actual Colt or clone thereof (numerous mfgs) with that related version of "SAA" action, or a Ruger with its own internal design.

Beyond that, and barrel length, is 'grip style' in a variety of configurations.
Personally I shot my first clean SASS match with a non-standard pair at the extremes of size: strong side was a 7.5" Ruger Bisley style, and a 3 1/2" shoulder holster 'bird head grip' Colt clone, both in 45 LC.

Some are available with 45 acp cylinder as well.

I was surprised to learn significant handling differences during this period of my cowboy match times. That 'store keeper' shorty (forget the mfg) was extremely fast to draw on get on target. It was equally as hard to ~keep~ on target and would waver too easily for follow up shots. Later replaced by much heaver Ruger Vaquero of same barrel length. It was amazing in that the impression was you could just put it on target & it would hang there sort of on autopilot, stable and far easier to produce rapid small groups.

Ruger's "Vaquero" line was modernized around 2005 when they slimmed down a bit and improved the action for certain advantages. They are just as tough as the old massive Ruger, yet a bit slicker and less bulky. ;)

.....'so many guns.....so little time'.............

The "New Model" Vaquero, introduced at the end of 2004 primarily for cowboy action shooters (who use only low pressure loads), is built on a smaller frame--much like a Colt SAA--and is not recommended for high pressure loads.

"built on a smaller frame--much like a Colt SAA--and is not recommended for high pressure loads." Clarification noted. SAAMI specs per the other 'SAA' standards for loading, NOT the 'Ruger only' section of the manual. Any factory off-the-shelf ammo will serve the purpose. Considering my own 45LC use over 30 years recognizes ~I personally~ have ~NEVER~ purchased any factory 45LC ammo.:eek:

45LC begs for owner-built loads. And in range games, I've yet to see much actual difference between 45 acp/45LC performance.

A few have inquired about 'why' use TWO SAA Cowboy guns....
That game was developed by old pre IPSC etc competitors used to firing lots of rounds. The discovery/excuse to buy more guns, was that while SAA reloading takes more time, using 2 loaded ones has pleasures previously unexplored in the 'fast gun shooting' games.

And then you get Crazy Maniac's like me that like to do Military style Drill and do "on the line reloads" as part of a non SASS group who got tired of the SASS games and wanted to bring a more real feel and actual historical perspective to this super fun sport!

"non SASS group who got tired of the SASS games and wanted to bring a more real feel and actual historical perspective to this super fun sport!"

Not Wild Bunch? Please elaborate.

Black powder frames have a screw in the front of the frame to take out the cylinder and a charcoal finish is a bright blue almost like a case color blue ... very pretty but not so durable. ( long lasting finish that is ... )

pre war finish has a push button cylinder release and a darker rich blue finish.
I'll look at the Uberti site and give you some model numbers , names or what they call their revolvers , not what Colt called them...

Just checked on Uberti.com
Old model charcoal finish ...Their name for what I and Colt call a blackpowder frame / finish
New model their name what I and Colt are referring to for a revolver made around 1900 and later. ( pre war )

this what happens when you ask advise of a historic minded gun guy who thinks like the original makers ... Sorry for the confusion.

Andy
So seems i'd be better getting what Uberti call their new model?

I wish more SASS and black powder shooters would shoot more historically correct.

Use a gun and holster combo like John Wesley Hardin or Wild Bill Hickok
( Yes he did use a holster from time to time , the famous pictures of him are not to be always trusted ).
Muzzle loaders shooting from the bag without any fancy lubes or 20th and 21st century "necessities" etc...

One of the reasons I enjoy muzzle loading firearms is to get away from the 21st century and see just how my they shot in 1830 or 1870.
I'm pretty sure there were no drop holsters and super slick action jobs , tackle boxes full of gear , teflon patches , wonder lube or dare I say , it short starters...

They shot different then ... and still shot well.
That's what I hope to do and copy.

I get that everybody is different...but don't try and sell me on That's how "they" shot back then when you are using a modern convenience , invention or style.

To be clear I am not saying that everyone needs to shoot what and how I do or prefer.
Shoot how you want as long as you are safe.
Just don't try and tell me its historic when it ain't.
Andy

Last Edited:
re:Just don't try and tell me its historic when it ain't."
the SASS bunch I shot with, by and large recognized and claimed their own interest was in 'B-western' gear and with all the non-historical aspects of such.

Even the most serious of those in spirit of 'the Holy Black' recognized inability to overcome some infusion of modern era.

One of my buddies shot only original era such as Remmies and hammer guns from pre-1890. Another competed quite well with cap & ball with replaceable cylinders and Spencer carbines. And pre-1873 Colt fans had considerable representation with the Navies/Armies/Dragoons, even of modern build they held to 'certain standards'.

Time & again the arguments managed to get past the 'original' to the 'entertainment' aspect.

There are groups which historically accurate details are significant. Other groups have different 'rules of order' and no one is considered prisoner to stay in one or the other camp.

Even the Rendezvous era I've seen one side of the camp in skins & canvas tents, muttering about the blasphamy of those using hard wall trailers. None of them had adequate response to questions about 'how they traveled to the camp' or what glasses/time piece/medicine/etc they wanted to leave home without.

In past the ever expanding SASS categories was attempting to adjust for such differences, while everybody could enjoy using the same era hardware.

The group of 'competitors' vs those merely 'participating' never quite got the game adjusted to serve their own purpose entirely without some compromise.

I think I'd get the El Patron model ...
I say think 'cause I'm not fond of the checked grip.
In the end I'd get it and put on some aftermarket period "hard rubber" colt look alike grips.
Andy
Yeah, i didn't know about the rest of the gun, but the grips did the same to me :/

Can you get aftermarket grips that fit the Uberti?

I was wondering about the finish choice, i know stainless wasn't available at the time, but i've also heard the Case hardening isn't the real deal, so, nickel?

Personal tastes in the cosmetics of modern versions representing historical pistols are of considerable subjectivity.

Over time my own tastes in such has migrated toward those looking more weathered & distressed from the factory, as that's what too often happened in the course of my own use of previously new ones.

I too preferred the shorter barrels in the 4-5.5" range.

A company now gone away (and residing under the very dome of Colt Itself) USFA (???), had a shockingly well produced concept of an old gunslinger-worn model that tickled my fancy. I was too broke to snatch one up when available.

Yeah, i didn't know about the rest of the gun, but the grips did the same to me :/

Can you get aftermarket grips that fit the Uberti?

I was wondering about the finish choice, i know stainless wasn't available at the time, but i've also heard the Case hardening isn't the real deal, so, nickel?
Nothing wrong with a "shooting gun" in stainless ... Just don't claim historic factor before the 21st / 20th century...:D
I do like the nickel ... Just to different I'd get blued screws to get a neat contrasting look.
The case hardening is more of case color ... not a big deal to me considering the cost factor.

Dixie Gunworks has a excellent selection of grips that" will fit".
"will fit" in quotes 'cause drop in parts , often ain't ...
Andy

Right now track of the Wolf has a gorgeous Pietta Single Action Army in nickel for $679
Engraved and "Ivory" grips 4 3/4 barrel....
Anyone 'round here care to "loan" me $700 bucks?...:p:D
Andy

That is a nice one. SS just doesn't have that certain shine that nickle does, even cheap nickle guns of which I own 3. BP doesn't do nickle any favors if not well cleaned after shooting. TOTW always seem to have nice guns there. I have been drooling over the guns they have on their website for the last 12-13 years.

Upcoming Events

Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top