JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
45 colt was my first venture into hand loading and have since tried almost everything that would burn as an accelerant, primarily due to low funds. At the time I was impressed by the tinkering's of Elmer Kieth & John Linebaugh in 45 colt, which at one time I was earnestly interested in replicating some of their work however lacking a chronograph at the time, and stumbling into the prohibitively (for me) high cost of jacketed bullets, lead me down the path of cast bullets. Add to the mix the lack of gas check, thus stopping me just prior to melt down I never moved over 875 fps (+/-). (As tested many years later.)The melt down and therefore speed fluctuated between different powder burn rates.

Here is a very short excerpt from some writing by John Linebaugh:
"I know for a fact this load will go through elk like cheese at long range. I don't mean to be beating a dead horse but velocity does not buy us power. Instead it buys us trajectory and range. At handgun ranges I'm not sure we need an abundance of either. I load to 1,200 fps for a good all around speed in my sixguns. If I need more power I got to a bugger slug or bigger caliber. A couple years ago I was testing some new +P .45 Colt ammo for accuracy, velocity, penetration and expansion in wet paper. The bullet was a custom made 275 gr JSP design.

upload_2017-2-7_10-56-59.png
Notes in my loading notebook here state that the wet paper was supported or backed up by a pine log. The Ruger with it's 1,170 fps drove the 275 gr slug through 22" of wet paper and 1" of pine. The S&W 4" with 130 fps less velocity penetrated through 22" of wet paper and 1/2" of pine. For all practical purposes the same. The 260 Keith didn't penetrate quite as deep but cut a larger hole with the full caliber front band. When we tested the first .475 and .500 Maximums we gained on the average 150 fps over the standard .475 and .500 Linebaugh rounds."

Although I never ventured into the same level of 45 Colt creativity as Mr. Keith or Mr. Linebaugh, Nonetheless I was, and am, still impressed as to what a .452 dia. 3/4 ounce chunk of lead can do in a mans hand. My 25-5 is every bit as concealable as my 1911 albeit I do not carry it in town any more.

J.jpg

Love shooting 45 Colt.
Just last month I bought 400 rounds of brand new USA made Choice brand 180 grain 45 Colt from Selway Armory for $170 shipped.
$75 per 200 round jug plus $10 each for shipping. Took about a week to arrive.

That's enough to last me all summer with the single action Blackhawk.

Wow, that's a lot more than i was expecting, i'm guessing based on production levels? (low demand)
Exactly the opposite of "low demand". 45 Colt is a very popular in cowboy action shooting.

Cost is also due to the fact that the bullets, the cases and the loads are also BIG. They are very easy to reload and the cases last a long time.

I don't particularly like adding more calibers, it becomes a pain the back side to 'manage' - however i'm getting to the point where i have enough 'stuff' that i won't be able to fire much of anything.

Based on that, being able to buy a box of range ammo every so often for the odd calibres will be plenty to have for my low use firearms - .44 mag, .303 British, .45 Colt etc.

Anyway, i've got a rough idea on the first two for range ammo prices, but not sure on the .45 colt, best place to get small amounts of range priced ammo? and how much is normally a good price?

I don't have a 45 Colt revolver (yet). I want one, but the good ones are kind of spendy. I prefer the double action revolvers. I have a 44 magnum single action, and it is fun to shoot with light loads. I did buy a set of loading dies for the 45 Colt caliber.

If you decide to reload for your 45 Colt, may I suggest that you check out the price on cast bullets. You can buy a box of 500 cast bullets for about the same price as 50 already loaded rounds. You will still need to buy the dies and a press, but you can pick those up fairly reasonably used. A nice strong loading table and a place to keep it would be the only thing that might be a problem after that. Don't forget to pick up some books on reloading, but you can actually get all the information you need on line for free. You cannot reload the cheap aluminum cased 45 Colt cases because you cannot get the primers out. I know I tried. If you are going to reload the cases, it is best to get some brass cases. As long as you don't try to make hot loads, the brass cases will last a long time.

I already load for 32, 38 special, 357 mag, 9X19, 38 super, 44 mag, 45 auto, 500 S&W, 223, 243, 6.5 Carcano, 308, 30-06, 6BR, 7BR, 338 win mag, 30-30, 8mm Mauser. I think that is all right now.
I don't use cast bullets for many of those, but I do cast for a few.

I can cast my own bullets for 45, but getting all the stuff together to start casting took a while, and then there is a safety factor that you need to consider if you start casting lead and the EPA is making it difficult to buy lead at a reasonable price. Sometimes you can get a bucket of wheel weights where you buy tires if you ask real nice. It is considered a hazardous material by them, and if you are already buying tires there, they might be willing to help you out. That is where I got mine. I got two 5 gallon buckets several years ago and I still have about half of it.

I do all of my casting out doors, so I usually do enough of it in nice weather to last for a while. It is no fun working outside when it is raining and/or the wind is blowing.

Nearly all loading manuals have warnings about loading the .45 Colt for Colt SAA's and clones. These manuals always have listings for Ruger Blackhawk, etc. listed separately. However, even in the late 1st and 2nd generation Colts, you can load to 16 KIPS SAAMI +P pressure and get 1000 fps with 250 grain jacketed bullets. Just be aware?

Cowboy loads are low velocity light bullet (650fps 200gr or so) loads so the "poof tink" crowd doesn't have to deal with recoil. Standard load would be a 250gr bullet at around 950fps.

The standard load you quote would be the original lading of a black powder .45 Colt loading with the cartridge filled with black powder. I don't think anyone back in the day or even today would want to get hit with a load that was designed to stop a 1,200 lb horse let alone a 150-200 lb man. Some of the "Cowboy loads" use cases as small as .45ACP cases and 125 gr bullets, all you have to do is ring the gongs, doesn't matter if they would bounce off a heavily dressed person back in the day, 41 rimfire sounds like a killer cartridge from back in the day, but it wouldn't penetrate if a person was wearing heavy clothing.

Well, i think it would be very cool to get a Peacemaker, reloading shouldn't be too much of a problem if i don't want to buy it.

Just got to decide which configuration i want to order now, any suggestions?

If you're talking 'configuration' of pistol, there's tons of decent used choices about.

And for 'first single action' cowboy style, Ruger is excellent choice as they are pretty rugged. You can still find deals int he <$400 range if you keep cash in yer pocket & are ready to deal when you find something suitable.

Sorry, i should have mentioned, i'm looking mostly at Uberti at the moment.

The Cattleman is the Peacemaker replica, but i don't know which finish, barrel length or grips.

Well, i think it would be very cool to get a Peacemaker, reloading shouldn't be too much of a problem if i don't want to buy it.

Just got to decide which configuration i want to order now, any suggestions?

4 3/4" 45 Colt with 45 ACP extra cylinder. Cant get ivory any more . 2 year wait IF you can get someone to order one through the Colt system. Nickel cleans up much easier if you want a shooter. Or you can pay a scalper if you want to get one now. Obama isnt here selling guns for us any more and I for one think the decreased gun sales in the short term will kill Colt off once and for all. He who hesitates is lost.

I see you are spec'ing Uberti. Good guns but the finished are pretty weak and the safety takes some getting used to if you are a Colt guy. Raspy triggers but that can be forgiven for $500..

4 3/4" 45 Colt with 45 ACP extra cylinder. Cant get ivory any more . 2 year wait IF you can get someone to order one through the Colt system. Nickel cleans up much easier if you want a shooter. Or you can pay a scalper if you want to get one now. Obama isnt here selling guns for us any more and I for one think the decreased gun sales in the short term will kill Colt off once and for all. He who hesitates is lost.
See above; cannot justify Colt prices for this one ;)

I prefer Colt SAA clones of a certain configuration depending on the task at hand.
Several mfgs have quality/handing/action very similar to Colts.
If Colt strikes your fancy, learn the generations of them, as price is highly dependent on 'collector value' vs 'shooters.'

You can buy about 3 good Rugers for what one mediocre Colt sells for now.
And AWA/several Italian clones are good shooters for decent price. It's hard to find a decent used SAA clone these days for under $600 in my area.

No matter how good a deal you find, 5 minutes later an even better one will walk in your door.

Quality Replica Guns of the Old West | Uberti

The following are possibilities:

1873 Single-Action Cattleman
1873 Cattleman El Patrón
1873 Cattleman II

Each model variant has finish options and barrel lengths, though i'm erring towards the 5.5 barrel, possibly the 7.

The 7 is fun if you don't want to carry it. Few who carry will stay with that. The 5.5 would work for both shooting and carry.

This single biggest choice-point IMHO is whether you prefer an actual Colt or clone thereof (numerous mfgs) with that related version of "SAA" action, or a Ruger with its own internal design.

Beyond that, and barrel length, is 'grip style' in a variety of configurations.
Personally I shot my first clean SASS match with a non-standard pair at the extremes of size: strong side was a 7.5" Ruger Bisley style, and a 3 1/2" shoulder holster 'bird head grip' Colt clone, both in 45 LC.

Some are available with 45 acp cylinder as well.

I was surprised to learn significant handling differences during this period of my cowboy match times. That 'store keeper' shorty (forget the mfg) was extremely fast to draw on get on target. It was equally as hard to ~keep~ on target and would waver too easily for follow up shots. Later replaced by much heaver Ruger Vaquero of same barrel length. It was amazing in that the impression was you could just put it on target & it would hang there sort of on autopilot, stable and far easier to produce rapid small groups.

Ruger's "Vaquero" line was modernized around 2005 when they slimmed down a bit and improved the action for certain advantages. They are just as tough as the old massive Ruger, yet a bit slicker and less bulky. ;)

.....'so many guns.....so little time'.............

I do not want this for carry :) This is a fun range gun only. It's for looks, fun and some authenticity.

I hadn't really been considering the Rugers, i wanted more authenticity than that, however, i don't actually know how 'inaccurate' they would be versus a replica Peacemaker.

Essentially, if i get something that looks like a Peacemaker, and feels like one (4 clicks to cock) then i'm good.

This single biggest choice-point IMHO is whether you prefer an actual Colt or clone thereof (numerous mfgs) with that related version of "SAA" action, or a Ruger with its own internal design.

Beyond that, and barrel length, is 'grip style' in a variety of configurations.
Personally I shot my first clean SASS match with a non-standard pair at the extremes of size: strong side was a 7.5" Ruger Bisley style, and a 3 1/2" shoulder holster 'bird head grip' Colt clone, both in 45 LC.

Some are available with 45 acp cylinder as well.

I was surprised to learn significant handling differences during this period of my cowboy match times. That 'store keeper' shorty (forget the mfg) was extremely fast to draw on get on target. It was equally as hard to ~keep~ on target and would waver too easily for follow up shots. Later replaced by much heaver Ruger Vaquero of same barrel length. It was amazing in that the impression was you could just put it on target & it would hang there sort of on autopilot, stable and far easier to produce rapid small groups.

Ruger's "Vaquero" line was modernized around 2005 when they slimmed down a bit and improved the action for certain advantages. They are just as tough as the old massive Ruger, yet a bit slicker and less bulky. ;)

.....'so many guns.....so little time'.............

Nice post. If look of authenticity of an SAA and fun at the range are your top priorities. Then I'd definitely get a Uberti.

For anything more than that, I would go with the Ruger

Hard to a beat Uberti for looks and feel.
If you want to go with a die hard original look and feel the black powder frame and charcoal blue finish is the way to go.

The pre-war finish and gun style is very nice for a 1900 and later look and feel.
I have owned a few of both and like the pre-war with a 5.5 inch barrel for most all around use and shooting.
Andy

Hard to a beat Uberti for looks and feel.
If you want to go with a die hard original look and feel the black powder frame and charcoal blue finish is the way to go.

The pre-war finish and gun style is very nice for a 1900 and later look and feel.
I have owned a few of both and like the pre-war with a 5.5 inch barrel for most all around use and shooting.
Andy
I don't see them categorised that way, little help? :)

Upcoming Events

Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top