JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The one main difference I see besides the .454 being longer is that it uses small rifle primers instead of large pistol.
Anyway, those 5-shot revolvers referred to are pretty strong (lol). Same gun but different chamberings, ranging from the .45-70 (that can be loaded to approach Ruger rifle levels I hear), .444 to the .45 Colt., etc.
The cartridge can certainly be hot-rodded.. just know what you're shooting it out of.

I don't particularly like adding more calibres, it becomes a pain the back side to 'manage' - however i'm getting to the point where i have enough 'stuff' that i won't be able to fire much of anything.

Based on that, being able to buy a box of range ammo every so often for the odd calibres will be plenty to have for my low use firearms - .44 mag, .303 British, .45 Colt etc.

Anyway, i've got a rough idea on the first two for range ammo prices, but not sure on the .45 colt, best place to get small amounts of range priced ammo? and how much is normally a good price?

I had to read the OP again and I don't see anywhere in the post about wanting wrist shattering, elbow banging, should wrenching, flash blinding recoil? I'm a person that wants a new cartridge for the history, to expand the stable, so to speak! Plus having another set of dies, brass, projectiles to play with. And most important, maybe, another fire arm to play with! So @F2CMaDMaXX , have you got a nice cowboy, single action yet? There's this 45 Long Colt 255 gr FP New | Freedom Munitions And I just looked at my Lyman book and there all kinds of tasty looking recipes and powder/projectile choices.

I had to read the OP again and I don't see anywhere in the post about wanting wrist shattering, elbow banging, should wrenching, flash blinding recoil? I'm a person that wants a new cartridge for the history, to expand the stable, so to speak! Plus having another set of dies, brass, projectiles to play with. And most important, maybe, another fire arm to play with! So @F2CMaDMaXX , have you got a nice cowboy, single action yet? There's this 45 Long Colt 255 gr FP New | Freedom Munitions And I just looked at my Lyman book and there all kinds of tasty looking recipes and powder/projectile choices.
Yea, I think the thread got sidetracked..
Along those lines, I think the .44-40 is neat.. with its regular loading, of course.
Just fun!
I thought I heard (I'm no historian) that the .44-40 actually won the west but never really researched it.

Well the .44-40 was chambered in the 1873 Winchester from 1873-through the rest of its lifetime.
The replicas only came in .45 Colt. ( well and a few others :D )
As for "winning the west" I 'd say it was :
.45-70
.47 one of the most common calibers , for a rifle that I have in my collection of original muzzle loaders
Or maybe a .12 or .10 gauge Shotgun ... Both are very common finds in the literature or sales of the times.

The original loading in .45 Colt and even the "cowboy" loads are fairly stout and easy to shoot.
Andy

Last Edited:
Probably ... a few years ago it was much cheaper.
Cowboy action shooters were using it by the ton , now its .357 magnum or .38 special for them.

Again that said its a great cartridge for self defense and hunting.
Well worth looking too...
Andy

That's true, Andy, and I'm guessing that the switch to the .38's was cost driven!
I mean, which would you rather shoot, especially for fun! :)

Well the .44-40 was chambered in the 1873 Winchester from 1873-through the rest of its lifetime.
The replicas only came in .45 Colt. ( well and a few others :D )
As for "winning the west" I 'd say it was :
.45-70
.47 one of the most common calibers I have in my collection of original muzzle loaders
Or maybe a .12 or .10 gauge Shotgun ... Both are very common finds in the literature or sales of the times.

The original loading in .45 Colt and even the "cowboy" loads are fairly stout and easy to shoot.
Andy
I think around 80,000 Peacemakers were made in .44-40 in the 1870's.. don't know how many rifles.
It'd be pretty handy to have the same cartridge for your rifle and handgun back in the day.

No doubt...
But , it wasn't until 1878 that the Colt Single Action Army became readily available to the public.
I'm not saying that it wasn't used by non military before then ... just not many.
Lots of cap and ball revolvers were still in use as well.

I am not knocking the Colt Peacemaker's role in history.
It played and still plays a part of our gun history.
Great gun... Its my favorite revolver.
Andy

Still a YUGE fan of the 1858 Rem, Revolvers, especially the replicas with the .45 colt cylinder conversions. .45 colt can be a real pussycat or a Fire Breathing Dragon if you want it to be, and having a pair of these Remington's AND a nice companion Rifle that shoots .45/70 AND .45 colt is the Shiznit! Working on that Rifle as we speak!!!
Out of a nice modern Carbine, I have seen some Stout loads in .45 Colt that blow the .44 mag out of the water:)

.45 Colt, as well as .44 Special, are incredibly nice shooting cartridges in a large revolver. If your interest is because of the fire-breathing capabilities, so be it. My interest is in the cartridges intended purposes, pressures and velocities.

With that in mind, and I know I don't like asking for an opinion on a specific item only to be steered in another direction, but if you're looking at .45 Colt, ya might want to consider a .45 convertible. I have a couple convertible .45's, and I almost never shoot .45 Colt ammo. .45 ACP is so close in ballistics, and it's half the price of .45 Colt. I find it every bit as pleasing, every bit as comfortable to shoot, and every bit as accurate as .45 Colt.

WAYNO.

.45 Colt, as well as .44 Special, are incredibly nice shooting cartridges in a large revolver. If your interest is because of the fire-breathing capabilities, so be it. My interest is in the cartridges intended purposes, pressures and velocities.

With that in mind, and I know I don't like asking for an opinion on a specific item only to be steered in another direction, but if you're looking at .45 Colt, ya might want to consider a .45 convertible. I have a couple convertible .45's, and I almost never shoot .45 Colt ammo. .45 ACP is so close in ballistics, and it's half the price of .45 Colt. I find it every bit as pleasing, every bit as comfortable to shoot, and every bit as accurate as .45 Colt.

WAYNO.

Many .45 Colt revolvers can be modified to take .45 ACP with clips

45 Colt brass cannot handle those high pressures. Sure the Ruger large frame revolvers can handle most everything we throw at them pressure wise, but the replica revolvers start to come apart:(
Sure if you write articles in fancy picture books ;) and get your name in a magazine all the time, oh and get your firearms for free it's easy to ignore warning signs. I just don't wanna see Anyone get hurt loading up their replica pistol on the hot side.
Thank you sir

Alright, the reason I want, or am looking into this is because I'm seriously considering a Peacemaker.

I don't mind the sidetracked convo, it all good.

I like the Freedom Munitions price, I'm fine with that now :)

So far, Be I'm still open to wiser opinions here, I've narrowed the choice down to the following.

Uberti (can't justify the Colt price)
5.5 inch (could be talked into the 7)

Not sure on the finish.
Not sure on new model or old (Uberti models)

This won't get fired too much (probably)
I'd like a 'famous' configuration, if you know what I mean, like a famous lawman's version.

Input? :)

Last Edited:
Alright, the reason I wabt, or am looking into this is because I'm seriously considering a Peacemaker.

I don't mind the sidetracked convo, it all good.

I like the Freedom Munitions price, I'm fine with that now :)

So far, Be I'm still open to wiser opinions here, I've narrowed the choice down to the following.

Uberti (can't justify the Colt price)
5.5 inch (could be talked into the 7)

Not sure on the finish.
Not sure on new model or old (Uberti models)

This won't get fired too much (probably)
I'd like a 'famous' configuration, if you know what I mean, like a famous lawman's version.

Input? :)
Git one!
I like the 4-5" or so barrels.. in case you want to actually carry it.

Puyallup WAC show today WRCC Washougal reloads were $30 for 50 and I'm sorry I dont remember the bullet wt. They were copper coated. Brads Guns LGS has lead 45LC from WRCC listed at $28 so reloads seem affordable.

Last Edited:
If you get one, be sure to post up some pics! My experience with .45 LC is rather small and was in and out of my collection quickly. Mainly for the cost per round, although it is a nice shooter and I still have some 12 gauge to .45LC adapters around here somewhere.

Yeah, just gotta wait to see what my bonus will be, but I'm planning on one.

It'll Be a range gun only, just having trouble finding out a configuration I want, as I said, preference for a config that was carried in the 'wild west' and whether I want the original cylinder retention or the updated one.

And absolutely there will be pictures :)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top