JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
2 comments;

Considering you drive a Cube and have a Pink Cell phone cover, you probably carry a BB pistol....??

I carry a G17, a G19, a G26 and 23 extra mags all at the same time........so I'm ready for 47 bad guys at once :rolleyes::cool:

I walked out front and took you a pic of my two trucks here at the house (you can kind of see the Cube back there too)
image.jpg image.jpg

I am in the same boat....finding a new CC 9mm gun...

Choices and concerns

1) S&W M&P Shield 9mm ($369 at NWArmory)
2) XDS 9mm 3.3" ($~450 through gunbrokers.com)
3) S&W M&Pc 9mm 3.5" ($439 at NWArmory)

Both the XDS and Shield are just under the 1" width, the shield is like 3/4"....both have shorter 3.3" barrels...
The M&Pc is like 1.1" due to the double stack mag and 3.5" barrel.

I have held all of them....feel in the hand...top order

1)M&Pc
2)XDS
3)Shield

I have fired 2 out of 3 (Shield (in 9mm & 40); XDS in 9mm & 45). I liked the XDS slightly better probably due to the feel though I shot both about the same.

I want the thumb safety on both of the M&P models, and the XDS has the grip safety...all have trigger safeties. That being said I find the thumb safety on the M&P Shield being difficult to maneuver though it could get better with training. The XDS is obvious the easiest with nothing to flip. The M&Pc is very easy to manipulate like my 1911.

I would love to fire an M&Pc....If anybody in the Washington County area wants to come as a guest invite to my gun club in newberg (I will pay the fee) and wouldn't mind letting me fire it (my bullets)....That would let me get a feel for it shooting

IF I read this right @NoFlinch is asking what holster @IronMonster has in Post #62
That is a Nates. As in N82 Tactical Professional.

Widely reported here, NFWA, as one of the most comfortable.

I have one, including the M&P Shield, on my hip.

If the question was about some other post ... then I have no idea what you are asking ...

I also carry in an Alien Gear (cross bread hybrid style)

I find the Nate's easier in the grab it and go. But I can't say it more comfortable - both work well for me.

The biggest key to comfortable carry for me, and I am a fat guy - beer gut - is having a good belt.

I prefer the Alien Gear to CrossBreed, which I also own, in that the kydex shell is screwed on rather than riveted and should I get a laser or light, I can easily change the kydex shell - not the holter. Also the price is about half.

@Brian Duvall I had a C and sold it to by a Shield.
What I liked about the C is the full size mags work and the it shoots like the FS.
What I didn't like was the weight. I had to use suspenders to keep my pants up and that was just too much hassle for me.
Also, you might look at the Yankee Marshall on U-Tube and the past couple of months of his vids - top fives - he has some good options to consider.

Last Edited:
I've been carrying my Walther PPS 9mm for about a year now in a SHTF Ace-1 Gen 2 holster. The PPS is .9" thin, has three different mag sizes/lengths (6 , 7, and 8 rounds) to customize it to whatever form of carry you choose, replaceable backstraps to customize grip size, shoots like a full size pistol, and is accurate as can be out to 50 feet (target picture below is, as I recall, 150 rounds shot unsupported at that distance) and even beyond. If you look at the Glock 43, it bears a remarkable resemblance to the Walther PPS. In fact, in quite a few of the initial reviews coming out, the PPS is what they go to in terms of a truly comparable single stack 9mm. Of course, Walther came out with the PPS in 2007, so I'm clueless why more people don't choose a pistol that's been proven and improved over the last 8 years and was designed primarily for law enforcement (PPS stands for Polizeipistole Schlank or Police Pistol Slim). The machining, finish, and reliability is pretty amazing. People go off on the paddle mag releases, but my hands are small enough that I usuallly have to reposition my hand on the grip to hit most button releases. Not so with paddle releases. Once you get them down you probably won't want to go back. Just my two cents, anyway. FYI, what looks like a poor finish on the PPS is just residual oil after cleaning it. It's beautifully done.

90FFF13A-B68B-4739-A3E8-1CC9E11D74CF_zpsmdybbgmz.jpg 29F4E1EF-F003-47B1-8455-DF1FC4371663_zpsy3zvqpjh.jpg

Last Edited:
I have the 238 which is the same thing in 380 auto. It's very fun, however the ammo is hard to get at reasonable cost.

That is my current favorite carry. I have been able to find ammo at walmart for a good price and as far as ammo I carry with I am not bothered it is a bit higher up. I just do not shoot the stuff aside from making sure it runs through clean. About 15 a box for target ammo there and has been on the shelf a lot lately.

Love that gun. I thought they made a 9mm version as well as the .380? Maybe take a look at that if you want a 9.

Looked it up and the sig 938 is pretty much the same as the 238 but in 9mm. Since you are already familiar with the weapon in .380 it may be a good choice. I just absolutely love the 238. First carry gun I have owned that I have no complaints about. Now I kinda want a 938.

I love the 1911 trigger and own several. But I think it is a poor choice for a carry gun
do to AD. I have a S & W shield with a Viridian laser and I love it. I am amazed at
how accurate this little gun can shoot. I also have shot my friends Ruger SR9C. A
little larger kind of mid size, excellent trigger and accurate. My Shield has the thumb
safety which I like. Many people do not like the thumb safety but I like the added
safety when holstering, loading or unloading.

I 2nd this but I recommend the Crimson trace in place of veridian. However something as silly as a laser is up to individual preference. Don't use the laser to target shoot but instead realize it's deterrent potential. Lasers are also handy during low light settings.

Recommend night sights: TFOs or big dot.

I carry mine with a 8 round mag in +1 and a backup 8 round if I'm not in my usual flip flop/short attire.

Manual safety is good with or without depending on preference. I prefer no manual safety but to each his or her own.

Anyways about the shield.. Anyone who says that it's not a reliable, accurate, and easy to carry gun is full of horse bubblegum..... There are plenty of other good options out there though :).

I really enjoy stirring things up a little. Seriously though, IMHO the 9mm is marginal, at best, for any kind of carry. I conceal carry an FNP .45, or a 1911 govt. most of the time.

My opinion of the Glock still stands, it's a military gun designed, (by the lowest bidder) for the "lowest common denominator" conscripted soldier.

I'm curious to see your statistics and ballistics that suggest that a .45 has a noticeable edge over the 9mm. Was the GI 1911 not designed for the lowest bidder?

I'm curious to see your statistics and ballistics that suggest that a .45 has a noticeable edge over the 9mm. Was the GI 1911 not designed for the lowest bidder?
Wasn't the glock? Austria got them for a hundred bucks with mags, maybe less iirc. A 9mm may expand, a 45 does not shrink. When the ballistic gel people and the mathematicians attack I'll go buy a 9mm.

My theory is pretty simply.

1.) Any gun you carry is probably going to do you more good in a self defense scenario than a gun you dont carry.

2.) The caliber of the gun your carry likely corresponds with your personality, not your needs

3.) No matter how many rounds you carry, Its not enough.

4.) 90%+ of people who carry a gun will never need to use it in self defense

5.) How you train is far, far more important than what you carry, Yet training is discussed little and caliber/weapon selection is discussed endlessly.

6.) Many of the people who carry guns are the least likely to need them (big, intimidating men) Most of the people who should carry them have no interest in doing so (until they are a victim or statistic)

Now I am no kind of expert ( Not really, I am some kind of expert but it has nothing to do with firearms or training :D) But really what I think is you want a carry gun that is fun to shoot (so you shoot it often) that is easy and unobtrusive to carry (so you carry it) and has a maximum amount of ammunition/minimum amount of size compromise (A second choice would be something that was easy to carry a second magazine for)

If you look at most self defense, And I mean most not all, You will see that once the victim starts shooting the perpetrator runs away. Almost all of the people who are potential attackers are cowards with no training. They are looking for an easy target. When a gun comes out most of the time even if they are armed they flee. You see all these store robbery videos what happens when the victim has a firearm? The robbers run away.

Now there is a very small chance you could be in some terror event or some other very unlikely scenario where you will have multiple trained bad guys. You got to decide, like right now, if in that case you want to potentially die well being a hero or if you want to save you and yours and flee. If you are going to be the hero that takes on this group of bad guys then you probably need a full size handgun with several extra magazines so you better have them on you. If your goal is to protect yourself and your family its likely a subcompact with just the 7 or 8 rounds will be sufficient.

I think that is something a lot of folks who carry fail to think about. What is it I want to accomplish with this firearm? Many have this grand idea that because they are armed they will simply know how to respond for any eventuality. Its not true.

You will only be ready for what you train for, you really wont know what it is you need to carry until you have trained for it.

You might get lucky and do the right thing if and when the time comes, but it will just be luck as you have put no effort into preparing (other than stuff a pistol in your waistband, which is a start but only step one of a pretty big list)

The other thing is subjectively I know this is the way it is, realistically I cannot train enough nor become a proficient enough yet I can control what gun I carry so that is what I focus the energy on.

I know none of this is news, I am a failure at this as most of us are. I talk a lot about training and basically have none. Its one of those things I know I should do, plan to do, and never do.

Really though that is what I think. Figure out what your goal is by having this firearm and make sure its appropriate for that task. Any tool that does everything will do none of it well. There is no such thing as a perfect carry weapon, everybody has different needs and every choice has some sacrifices.

Agreed on all points.
Carry the biggest gun with the highest capacity of the selected caliber YOU are comfortable carrying.
Stress, tunnel vision, adrenaline - all will trump make , model , and capacity.
Training is what we all fall back on.

Agreed on all points.
Carry the biggest gun with the highest capacity of the selected caliber YOU are comfortable carrying.
Stress, tunnel vision, adrenaline - all will trump make , model , and capacity.
Training is what we all fall back on.

Yep. After years of carrying and trying all kinds of different guns I have become confident in carrying a smaller lower capacity pistol. My LCR or Sig 238 these days and not just because they are smaller but because they are what I shoot well.....well for me but that is all any of us can ask for.
You do not need the biggest or baddest carry gun. Just the one you feel confident you can hit your target with. A vital is a vital no matter what caliber hits it. I say carry a 1911 if it is what you are confident in using. Carry a .22 if that is what you need to do to feel accurate and comfortable. Everything in between is up to how it feels in your hand....not what a bunch of other folks tell you is the "best" carry. Again it is all about YOU and what you like.
Shoot them all! Try every kind of gun you can get your hands on. Eventually you will have your favorites and no concerns of "is it a good carry or not".

Yep. After years of carrying and trying all kinds of different guns I have become confident in carrying a smaller lower capacity pistol. My LCR or Sig 238 these days and not just because they are smaller but because they are what I shoot well.....well for me but that is all any of us can ask for.
You do not need the biggest or baddest carry gun. Just the one you feel confident you can hit your target with. A vital is a vital no matter what caliber hits it. I say carry a 1911 if it is what you are confident in using. Carry a .22 if that is what you need to do to feel accurate and comfortable. Everything in between is up to how it feels in your hand....not what a bunch of other folks tell you is the "best" carry. Again it is all about YOU and what you like.
Shoot them all! Try every kind of gun you can get your hands on. Eventually you will have your favorites and no concerns of "is it a good carry or not".

Best bit of advice for anyone considering ccw. However it's hard to know what a shooter shoots best if they're just getting into the firearm market.

IF I read this right @NoFlinch is asking what holster @IronMonster has in Post #62
That is a Nates. As in N82 Tactical Professional.

Widely reported here, NFWA, as one of the most comfortable.

I have one, including the M&P Shield, on my hip.

If the question was about some other post ... then I have no idea what you are asking ...

I also carry in an Alien Gear (cross bread hybrid style)

I find the Nate's easier in the grab it and go. But I can't say it more comfortable - both work well for me.

The biggest key to comfortable carry for me, and I am a fat guy - beer gut - is having a good belt.

I prefer the Alien Gear to CrossBreed, which I also own, in that the kydex shell is screwed on rather than riveted and should I get a laser or light, I can easily change the kydex shell - not the holter. Also the price is about half.

@Brian Duvall I had a C and sold it to by a Shield.
What I liked about the C is the full size mags work and the it shoots like the FS.
What I didn't like was the weight. I had to use suspenders to keep my pants up and that was just too much hassle for me.
Also, you might look at the Yankee Marshall on U-Tube and the past couple of months of his vids - top fives - he has some good options to consider.

I maybe kind of lame for saying this but well armed women make the best ccw holsters on the market.... I have one and have both testicles and a working penis....Prove me wrong

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top