JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't think the thread topic was if 9mm was usefull for CC or not, just which gun in that caliber.

There are more threads on what Is the minimum caliber that is useful for stopping a threat then there should be already.
About 60% of shots miss their targets. Do you want them to be .50, .45, .357, .9, .38SP, .380, or .22 ?

100% agree. Glock 26

For 9mm carry, no question a Glock 26. Their legendary reliability along with it's small size, light weight, and 11 round capacity, plus the option of using 15/17/33 round magazines makes it hard to surpass. No hammer to snag, no safety to flip, just point and shoot. Yes it's a simple gun, and that is exactly why I would choose it for a gunfight.

If I'm the shooter, and 60% of my shots miss, I want them to be 22's.:)

Less possibility of collateral damage.:)

But then again, if I'm the shooter,:rolleyes:o_O:confused: and I miss 60% of my shots, I should not be carrying a gun in the first place.

I think that 60% average takes into account MOST of the people who never practice......or hold their gun sideways when they shoot........:confused::(o_O:rolleyes:

And remember, 72.5% of statistics are made up on the spot..........:cool::D

If I'm the shooter, and 60% of my shots miss, I want them to be 22's.:)

Less possibility of collateral damage.:)

But then again, if I'm the shooter,:rolleyes:o_O:confused: and I miss 60% of my shots, I should not be carrying a gun in the first place.

I think that 60% average takes into account MOST of the people who never practice......or hold their gun sideways when they shoot........:confused::(o_O:rolleyes:

And remember, 72.5% of statistics are made up on the spot..........:cool::D
I think the 60% number comes from gun fights on the move. Sure, paper we can all hit with some degree of marksmanship, but when you fight for your life your trigger control may not be that great anymore. You probably need an epi pen to simulate .... ;-)

I have missed with 100% of my shots taken in all the gun fights I have been in.
Likewise, I have made 100% of all the shots I have taken in a gun fight.

I have been in 0 gun fights.

I recommend the "Glock-Killer" Springfield XD Sub-Compact 9mm or XDs 9mm. I work with a XD duty size gun and the Sub-Compact uses the same magazines as a backup gun; I shot a 3.3" XDs 9mm with Talon-Grips: shoots great for a really thin gun...

I recommend Talon-Grips on every gun no matter who's it is. I have them on all my guns.

XD's have a grip-safety everyone either HATES or LOVES with a passion: I find it reassuring. When I holster just as with a 1911: push into holster on back of slide. I also use a N8squared IWB holster which locks on the trigger guard... I had another gun in a good holster BUT the silly gun kept SQUEEZING OUT of the holster as I got in and out of my car... very problematic.

Recently read an online (youtube) post where the writer says the last 2 years 2 locals in his area have been killed HOLSTERING GLOCKS.... unlike XD's these guns will fire whenever the trigger is pulled, by accident even: holstering an XD correctly by pushing down the back of the slide the "grip-safety" is active and prevents accidental discharge.

LOL

Last Edited:
Just received a DeSantis Intruder IWB for my XDs today. At first glance and after wearing it a bit, I am pretty satisfied. $45 on the online auction place. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426898218.198283.jpg

In answer to the OP's original post; my EDC for years was a Colt Combat Commander in .45. Recently I've switched to the EMP in 9mm. Has been totally reliable and accurate right out of the box. It fits all 1911 3" leather although magazines are proprietary to the pistol; the good news though is that it comes with 3. Finally, if you don't like 9mm you can get it in .40.

G43 will be out soon, the single stack 9mm Glock. Got my eyes on that one, gonna get it for my wife and I may get one for myself too. Been waiting on a single stack 9mm from them for decades now.

My EDC is a Colt lightweight CCO Talo edition. It's like 3 ounces heavier than the Glock 30 SF it replaced.

My vote for the initial choices is the CZ (love my CZ) although the Sig238 or 938 once broken it are nice, small and very concealable.

DSCF1954_zps640870e0.jpg

Carry what you are comfortable with. 9mm is a great bullet. All of the guns mentioned here are great, but I am a fan of Glocks and a 26 or 43 will work well for you. Glocks are the AK47 of handguns and the reason I like them is that they just work. Stryker fired is the wave of the future.

And don't let anyone tell you otherwise that 9mm isn't an excellent caliber to use for carry (from someone who has been in a few gunfights).

There is no difference in wounds created by 9mm, .40, and .45 ACP. ER Docs and surgeons who work on bullet wounds will tell you this. The Pepsi challenge on this is that I had a comrade KIA overseas with 1 shot through the armpit with 7.62 X 39 and later on in the deployment, we captured a Talib who had been shot 10 times (hits all over) with 7.62 X 51 from a machinegun who was still breathing and blinking and able to speak.

Hits count, but so does the number. More hits with ANY caliber bullet is better than less hits.

Caliber discussions matter little if you have no hits. :s0033:

Hello all,

have been tinkering with getting a new carry gun in 9mm. 3+ inch barrel, 1-1.3 inch wide, with decent sights. My current list is

1. Springfield 1911 EMP
2. Kimber CDP II Ultra
3. CZ RAMI
4. Walther PPS

I kinda like 1911 style guns. It's pretty easy to train for carrying cocked and locked. As for the RAMI, I can handle DA long trigger pulls instead of thumb safeties, now for striker fired - I am not so comfortable, but I have heard many good things about the PPS. Maybe I can overcome my trigger preferences for other benefits.

Who has experience with any of the above?

Thanks much for any advise.

EMP is my vote!
Light, sexy, Very Thin. Just the way I like my women. Lol

I have carried , and shot IDPA for years with a Officers size 45acp. And changed to a 9mm EMP.... OMG it's a tack driver, and runs 100%!

Made the mistake of letting my wife shoot it, she likes it better than her SIG 938.

Looks like another one will be bought come payday. IMAG1145.jpg

In answer to the OP's original post; my EDC for years was a Colt Combat Commander in .45. Recently I've switched to the EMP in 9mm. Has been totally reliable and accurate right out of the box. It fits all 1911 3" leather although magazines are proprietary to the pistol; the good news though is that it comes with 3. Finally, if you don't like 9mm you can get it in .40.
What he said!
LOL

My theory is pretty simply.

1.) Any gun you carry is probably going to do you more good in a self defense scenario than a gun you dont carry.

2.) The caliber of the gun your carry likely corresponds with your personality, not your needs

3.) No matter how many rounds you carry, Its not enough.

4.) 90%+ of people who carry a gun will never need to use it in self defense

5.) How you train is far, far more important than what you carry, Yet training is discussed little and caliber/weapon selection is discussed endlessly.

6.) Many of the people who carry guns are the least likely to need them (big, intimidating men) Most of the people who should carry them have no interest in doing so (until they are a victim or statistic)

Now I am no kind of expert ( Not really, I am some kind of expert but it has nothing to do with firearms or training :D) But really what I think is you want a carry gun that is fun to shoot (so you shoot it often) that is easy and unobtrusive to carry (so you carry it) and has a maximum amount of ammunition/minimum amount of size compromise (A second choice would be something that was easy to carry a second magazine for)

If you look at most self defense, And I mean most not all, You will see that once the victim starts shooting the perpetrator runs away. Almost all of the people who are potential attackers are cowards with no training. They are looking for an easy target. When a gun comes out most of the time even if they are armed they flee. You see all these store robbery videos what happens when the victim has a firearm? The robbers run away.

Now there is a very small chance you could be in some terror event or some other very unlikely scenario where you will have multiple trained bad guys. You got to decide, like right now, if in that case you want to potentially die well being a hero or if you want to save you and yours and flee. If you are going to be the hero that takes on this group of bad guys then you probably need a full size handgun with several extra magazines so you better have them on you. If your goal is to protect yourself and your family its likely a subcompact with just the 7 or 8 rounds will be sufficient.

I think that is something a lot of folks who carry fail to think about. What is it I want to accomplish with this firearm? Many have this grand idea that because they are armed they will simply know how to respond for any eventuality. Its not true.

You will only be ready for what you train for, you really wont know what it is you need to carry until you have trained for it.

You might get lucky and do the right thing if and when the time comes, but it will just be luck as you have put no effort into preparing (other than stuff a pistol in your waistband, which is a start but only step one of a pretty big list)

The other thing is subjectively I know this is the way it is, realistically I cannot train enough nor become a proficient enough yet I can control what gun I carry so that is what I focus the energy on.

I know none of this is news, I am a failure at this as most of us are. I talk a lot about training and basically have none. Its one of those things I know I should do, plan to do, and never do.

Really though that is what I think. Figure out what your goal is by having this firearm and make sure its appropriate for that task. Any tool that does everything will do none of it well. There is no such thing as a perfect carry weapon, everybody has different needs and every choice has some sacrifices.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top