JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,

have been tinkering with getting a new carry gun in 9mm. 3+ inch barrel, 1-1.3 inch wide, with decent sights. My current list is

1. Springfield 1911 EMP
2. Kimber CDP II Ultra
3. CZ RAMI
4. Walther PPS

I kinda like 1911 style guns. It's pretty easy to train for carrying cocked and locked. As for the RAMI, I can handle DA long trigger pulls instead of thumb safeties, now for striker fired - I am not so comfortable, but I have heard many good things about the PPS. Maybe I can overcome my trigger preferences for other benefits.

Who has experience with any of the above?

Thanks much for any advise.

Last Edited:
I love the 1911 trigger and own several. But I think it is a poor choice for a carry gun
do to AD. I have a S & W shield with a Viridian laser and I love it. I am amazed at
how accurate this little gun can shoot. I also have shot my friends Ruger SR9C. A
little larger kind of mid size, excellent trigger and accurate. My Shield has the thumb
safety which I like. Many people do not like the thumb safety but I like the added
safety when holstering, loading or unloading.

I would suggest adding a Sig938 to the list. Low recoil, small, and comes standard with night sights.

It's a single action like the 1911 with the exception that it doesn't have a beavertail safety.

Don't laugh cuz I'm not joking:

SCCY CPX-2

DA
Hammer fired
9mm
10+1
15 oz
Great sights
Great trigger
Lifetime warranty (for drop checks)
$250 BNIB (so no crying over impounded firearms in evidence lockers)
Deadly reliable.

I bought one used for a backpack gun but after running it thru its paces, it is now my newest carry gun.

I have the RAMI in 40sw and its been a great little gun. DA, SA and the safety works with it cocked. Versatile. Carry it in a Blackhawk rip open pack or just a pocket works fine too. I also have a CM9..... avoid that POS. wont chamber half the time and the mags are junk. Unsuitable for carry. Too bad cause its a narrow, light easy to carry gun....... that might work.

9mm is the perfect ladies caliber. I would say to get something simple. I wouldn't want you to get confused, and worry your pretty little head about how to operate it. Get a glock, a gun specifically designed for the mentally challenged.

I would suggest adding a Sig938 to the list. Low recoil, small, and comes standard with night sights.

It's a single action like the 1911 with the exception that it doesn't have a beavertail safety.
I have the 238 which is the same thing in 380 auto. It's very fun, however the ammo is hard to get at reasonable cost.

9mm is the perfect ladies caliber. I would say to get something simple. I wouldn't want you to get confused, and worry your pretty little head about how to operate it. Get a glock, a gun specifically designed for the mentally challenged.
I am neither pretty nor dumb - not sure how I earned your comment.

Don't laugh cuz I'm not joking:

SCCY CPX-2

DA
Hammer fired
9mm
10+1
15 oz
Great sights
Great trigger
Lifetime warranty (for drop checks)
$250 BNIB (so no crying over impounded firearms in evidence lockers)
Deadly reliable.

I bought one used for a backpack gun but after running it thru its paces, it is now my newest carry gun.
will take a look, thx

It's so simple, even cops forget that it's loaded and blast a round through their wall when they're trying to clean it.

I heard that's only because you have to pull the trigger before you can disassemble it...

I also prefer hammer-fired pistols so if I need to re-holster with one in the chamber I can put my thumb on the hammer to ensure it's not moving.

Last Edited:
I love the 1911 trigger and own several. But I think it is a poor choice for a carry gun
do to AD. I have a S & W shield with a Viridian laser and I love it. I am amazed at
how accurate this little gun can shoot. I also have shot my friends Ruger SR9C. A
little larger kind of mid size, excellent trigger and accurate. My Shield has the thumb
safety which I like. Many people do not like the thumb safety but I like the added
safety when holstering, loading or unloading.
Me too have a couple of 1911s (nothing new to train into memory, if I went that route), but I have never had an AD. If you carry cocked & locked that would seem safer than most striker fired options, wouldn't it?

I looked at the Shield. It felt more flimsy than the PPS and the PPS felt better in my hands too.

Try a Glock 19. It is the "standard" for carry pistols.

From that one, you'll have a better idea on what you really want.
  • Need a thicker grip or a narrower one?
  • Weight?
  • Are you planning for IWB, or maybe Shoulder carry - do you drive all day, at an office, outside?
  • Appendix, cross draw or OWB?
  • Do you have another pistol at home to share mags with?
  • Do you want to have a shorty mag and an extended mag?
  • How about a Revo?

For any daily carry I recommend a gun you can shoot out of the box, that if bad things happen you can replace with another one. Therefore, no Colt Python, nor Walther PPK, no highly tweaked 1911.

You can also get excellent advice from the internet gun expert Gary on YouTube at the Yankee Marshall channel. You know that Gary is an expert, not because he says so, but because he is a Glock.

Thanks. Have carried a snub nose OWB for a while. Very comfy and easy on malfunctions of any kind. Limited in capacity though. I have also carried a PPK/s, in DA (safety off). Not sure what your concern with the PPK would be? Sure it's not a breech lock and your JHP needs to feed properly - but I found Hornady's FTX to feed reliably. You have other concerns about the PPK? It's a little big for OWB, and a little heavier than I prefer.

I have large hands, so I like my pinky on the extended mags with smaller guns.

So do you like your Glock 9mm, did you get the 19 or ?

I really enjoy stirring things up a little. Seriously though, IMHO the 9mm is marginal, at best, for any kind of carry. I conceal carry an FNP .45, or a 1911 govt. most of the time.

My opinion of the Glock still stands, it's a military gun designed, (by the lowest bidder) for the "lowest common denominator" conscripted soldier.

I really enjoy stirring things up a little. Seriously though, IMHO the 9mm is marginal, at best, for any kind of carry. I conceal carry an FNP .45, or a 1911 govt. most of the time.

My opinion of the Glock still stands, it's a military gun designed, (by the lowest bidder) for the "lowest common denominator" conscripted soldier.

I don't think the thread topic was if 9mm was usefull for CC or not, just which gun in that caliber.

There are more threads on what Is the minimum caliber that is useful for stopping a threat then there should be already.

whatever caliber you can shoot and hit reliably will work fine... I do like the FN 57 both for power and non-existent recoil, just a little large for carry, IMHO

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top