JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Well heck if we are this far off the rails of my original post here goes my statement sure to p!$$ everyone off:

Mister bald confiscation cop is all bold and brave with is back up and has no problem bulling an odd white loner out of his legal firearms, but if he really wants to stop "gun violence" he should hit the downtown streets of Seattle at night to stop and frisk anyone in gang dress or colors for illegal guns.

Devils advocate: You assume that most "gun violence" is gang violence, this is not the case, 2/3rd of gun deaths are Suicides... Red Flag laws (from the handful of studies who looked into it) have a statistically significant correlation with reduced "suicide by firearm" deaths (7.5-13.7% in Indiana and Connecticut).

Source: Psychiatry Online

Still I personally see the compelling argument that that law presumes guilt until proven innocent, Even if it has positive result on society. Though in a legal sense if civil asset forfeiture can hold up in a court of law, then red flags laws likely will as well...

The problem with all of these Red Flag Laws is that the cops show up, take the guns, pat themselves on the back for a job well done, and then leave. There is no mandatory follow up with a mental health professional or counseling which may prevent suicide by other means. For example: Accused principal bought gun before death, causing lockdown a local principal who hung himself along with the two recent celebrity self-hangings (Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spade). I mean come on, unless you ban rope, tall buildings and cars, people are still going to kill thenselves.

True enough, the studies I noted above claimed a lowering "suicide by firearm" not "lowering in total suicide rate". The positive effect I noted, likely is somewhat hampered by people who find another way to Kill themselves..

The potential for abuse of this law is off the charts. Which is something I'm sure democrats think is wonderful. But given that I think this guy is a "potential" threat because of his alcoholism problem. But depending on the situation we can all be a "potential" threat in some way or another. We all including police officers have the capacity to go nuts and kill someone else under the right circumstances regardless of how good you think you are. We all have a breaking point because we are all human.Had he showed up to court and at least explained his side I might have returned his firearms because he has never threatened or harmed anyone with them. But he failed to do the most basic thing to defend his rights.

The problem with all of these Red Flag Laws is that the cops show up, take the guns, pat themselves on the back for a job well done, and then leave. There is no mandatory follow up with a mental health professional or counseling which may prevent suicide by other means. For example: Accused principal bought gun before death, causing lockdown a local principal who hung himself along with the two recent celebrity self-hangings (Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spade). I mean come on, unless you ban rope, tall buildings and cars, people are still going to kill thenselves.

Exactly

The potential for abuse of this law is off the charts. Which is something I'm sure democrats think is wonderful. But given that I think this guy is a "potential" threat because of his alcoholism problem. But depending on the situation we can all be a "potential" threat in some way or another. We all including police officers have the capacity to go nuts and kill someone else under the right circumstances regardless of how good you think you are. We all have a breaking point because we are all human.Had he showed up to court and at least explained his side I might have returned his firearms because he has never threatened or harmed anyone with them. But he failed to do the most basic thing to defend his rights.

I actually can understand why he wouldn't show up to court. The best outcome that could happen is the liberal court system admitted they had nothing on him and return his firearms, at worst, the court gained additional incriminating evidence by him presenting his case and he could get in worse trouble than he already is with an overreaching red flag law. If you are in a hole you don't keep digging, and if they think those are the only firearms he has they are kidding themselves.

Still waiting on the info on if he is actually charged or convicted with anything, otherwise this is a worried neighbor pointing a finger being able to convict a man without proof.

Your info is not supported by fact. Crime is what we call a continuous phenomenon. Meaning it transcends socioeconomic, race, and cultural domains. In other words crime is committed by all walks of life. White collar crime, often goes unreported. Imagine how many laws and ethics violations are broken in the corporate world? They capitalize on the "....less educated side..." And the 3% are the only citizens in our nation that can afford high end legal representation, versus say those folks living around the poverty level who cannot afford any legal that amounts to a deuce.. If it were not for credit and insurance us working middle class types wouldn't be driving around in Mercedes and loving the American dream.. There is a link to petty crime and poverty, it's keeps our civil servants gainfully employed. But it's really a culture within the empoverished with piss poor morals that hold up the majority of crime rates in these urban apocalypse's. Culture my good man. But I do agree with you in that law abiding gun ownership prevents a massive an certainly unquantifiable amount of crime by both passive and active deterrence.

My post you responded to specified violent crime, your referencing white collar crime has absolutely 0 bearing on the discussion of violent crime and as hard as it may be for you to understand, lots of facts support my argument that the majority of violent crime is committed by those in poverty/uneducated, lots of studies support my argument, you'll have to wade back through the thread to find them. I'm not going to make it my personal mission to bring everyome out of ignorance.

Regardless. The OP was about confiscating guns in Seattle, what we have been discussing is exactly why it is so problematic because it appears to be another law that burdens the law abiding more than anyone and the criminals who don't care remain unneffected.

Meth is domestic and probably the biggest scourge by far

not so.........
meth used to be domestic, chemicals are now too restricted, its being mass produced by the cartels in mexico at this time.
Although Mexican meth is not new to the U.S. drug trade, it now accounts for as much as 80 percent of the meth sold here, according to the Drug Enforcement Administration.
..............dont take my word for it ........google it

not so.........
meth used to be domestic, chemicals are now too restricted, its being mass produced by the cartels in mexico at this time.
Although Mexican meth is not new to the U.S. drug trade, it now accounts for as much as 80 percent of the meth sold here, according to the Drug Enforcement Administration.
..............dont take my word for it ........google it

Build that wall! Haha

My post you responded to specified violent crime, your referencing white collar crime has absolutely 0 bearing on the discussion of violent crime and as hard as it may be for you to understand, lots of facts support my argument that the majority of violent crime is committed by those in poverty/uneducated, lots of studies support my argument, you'll have to wade back through the thread to find them. I'm not going to make it my personal mission to bring everyome out of ignorance.

Regardless. The OP was about confiscating guns in Seattle, what we have been discussing is exactly why it is so problematic because it appears to be another law that burdens the law abiding more than anyone and the criminals who don't care remain unneffected.

But welfare does?

Wall doesn't help when you move underground...have you not seen the mile long tunnels with lighting and ac?

Saying a wall wouldn't help slow / stop the flow of drugs ignores how many are muled over the border at the surface level.

Mile long tunnels underground can also be easily dealt with. Israelis figured this one out already. They deal with tunnels into their country on a regular basis.

Again what does this have to do with SEATTLE? We are not talking about criminals here. Are you a drug dealer? If not then why talk about them. I am not a criminal nor a drug dealer, I am concerned about my rights to continue to own my guns. Anything else should be saved for a drug dealer crime infested slums topic, not why Seattle police are confiscating guns

Everything is intertwined. If you are in favor of keeping your rights in Seattle, you must be against criminal violence in any form, regardless of locale. The shootings in Florida and elsewhere markedly put your rights in Seattle at risk!!

Saying a wall wouldn't help slow / stop the flow of drugs ignores how many are muled over the border at the surface level.

Mile long tunnels underground can also be easily dealt with. Israelis figured this one out already. They deal with tunnels into their country on a regular basis.

Again I am from San Diego California, you know the city that boarders tiajuana Mexico. Cartels have billions, nobody is smuggling above ground. Why would you risk that when you can go undetected. But I'm sure you know it all. Tell me exactly how you can fix this. Close one build another.

You'll need to explain your response a bit more if you want me to respond to that question. I don't find it very clear on what exactly you are asking me to respond to.

Sorry I need to clarify your own post, you just mentioned white collar crime, which again is not the point of this thread, it just highlighted that your backdoor commentary was irrelevant.

Again...
I ask that the conversation be turned back to the OP...
Gun Confiscation in Seattle....
"Preemptive laws" ...
Merits of the law...
Whether or not the law has worthwhile or easy to abuse...
Merits of the video and or story in the OP...
Things like this....

I understand that many other thoughts and topics can be related or tied into the OP...But it is very easy to derail a thread....and more difficult than herding caffeinated cats at times to get it back on track....
Thank you...
Andy

Status

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR