JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

I'm a new gun owner who just got a concealed carry permit in WA. I'm in need of some tips on how to position the IWB holster for a 4 O'clock position. Do I need to get new larger sized pants? I bought Aliengear holster and a riggers belt.

I'm sporting a pandemic beer belly btw. :) I'm trying to carry a Walther PPQ M2 compact /w 4'' barrel

Any advice much appreciate!

Thanks!

Last Edited:
Hello,

I'm a new gun owner who just got a concealed carry permit in WA. I'm in need of some tips on how to position the IWB holster for a 4 O'clock position. Do I need to get new larger sized pants? I bought Aliengear holster and a riggers belt.

I'm sporting a pandemic beer belly btw. :) I'm trying to carry a Walther PPQ M2 compact /w 4'' barrel

Thanks!
The 4:00 position is also known as Afternoon Delight. I'm pretty sure there's a song about it and there's a possum involved.
Other than that it looks like you've got it figured pretty good.

The thing with pants is that it greatly depends on how loose you wear them to begin with. If you tend to wear them on the tighter side, you may need to go up a size. Much can also depend on how pants are cut. So you may have two different pants (different makers) in the same size but one pant will fit ok and the other won't.

Note too that Aliengear holsters tend to run on the thicker side compared to other holsters...at least the ones I've seen. But you'll know pretty quick if there is enough room when you throw everything on. Give it a shot (pun intended) and see if it works.

Pro Tip: Say whatever you want about tacticool 5.11 pants. But one thing I love about their "Stryke" pant is that it has an expandable waist system. So there's plenty of room on days you carry and they also fit well on the days you don't. YMMV.

Last Edited:
The belt is key. A nylon rigger's belt is likely not stiff enough to prevent a full size gun from "taco"ing outward at the top (back of slide) even with IWB. Bigfoot Gunbelts makes belts with thin steel inserts which keep the gun vertical. For some lightweight guns with low capacity mags this is not as much of a problem. For OWB the stiff belt is more important.

Have had "Dad bod" for a good while so I feel you.:s0140:
One of the best things I ever did was try suspenders. I was leery at first but once I tried them I fell in love. No more constantly feeling like I had to be tugging on my damn pants! Since I long ago quit wearing tight pants I also long ago went with the "Relaxed Fit" in all the pants and shorts. This gives room to use ISWB holsters with ease. Everyone has their personal favorite. One of mine is a left handed holster carried behind me on right side. It makes it easy to cover and when I reach for the pistol the grip is facing my hand as I reach. I started with this LONG ago when I had the body to wear tight jeans and often used "Mexican Carry" behind me with the pistol the same way. Main thing for me was the suspenders. Good quality ones have made life soooo much better.

Bigfoot gun belts gets two thumbs up, fully capable of supporting full size, heavy guns with the correct holster. Can't recommend them enough, be sure to go with the steel insert, no twisting or bending, even after years of daily use.

Holster: you've already been warned that Aliengear holsters tend to be bulky, I second that. Have one in my holster bin for a 1911 Commander, was so thick it was a bit of a challenge to hide and uncomfortable. It was replaced with a Milt Sparks Nexus which hides that Combat Commander easily under a tee shirt.

Nowadays I prefer kydex for most daily carry, eliminates the worry of perspiration. Concealment express makes some of the very finest kydex holsters available. Adding a claw to it will pull the gun butt in nice and tight to the body for greater concealment.

What I'm saying is invest in the very best gear to effectively carry that sidearm. There's going to be trial and error and you too will most likely end up with your very own holster bin too.

And welcome to the world of EDC

I think you're luckier than anyone I every met if you hit on the perfect IWB/firearm/belt combo on the first try. More than likely you'll have to do a bit of trial and error to really hit a true comfort fit, but don't be discouraged. It's just par for the course and there IS a combo that will work for "you" and you only need to figure the type and pairing once.

Pants... as others mentioned, you might get by with what you have, and I don't wear my pants at all tight at the waist and relaxed fit, but I usually buy a size up for IWB. Standing and such isn't too bad, but sitting for long periods or squatting can get uncomfortable throughout the day. Just depends.

If you decide to start buying sized up, there are several options available to tighten things up a bit if for whatever reason you decide to OWB/shoulder/other carry. One I use is called "skinny clip". Really simple to use, unobtrusive and eliminates the "hobo waistband" look you can get by just cinching your belt tighter. It basically just knocks your britches down one size (or two).

Welcome and good luck!

Last Edited:
:s0140: I was trying to figure out why my post kept saying "..knocks your bubblegums down one size..." when I clicked on "post reply".

I guess I forgot an "r" and the system was FIFM.

Oops.

have confidence, carry owb and a baggy jacket. it also depends on if you got hips. suspenders work great you dont want to have to cinch the belt to tight that your nerve gets pinched

have confidence, carry owb and a baggy jacket. it also depends on if you got hips. suspenders work great you dont want to have to cinch the belt to tight that your nerve gets pinched
If you can do an OWB carry, it certainly is vastly more comfortable and versatile. A little extra "padding" can also aide with concealment and prevent printing without going with an IWB option. YMMV

With IWB and a proper belt, it should be slightly snug, but still loose enough to rotate your body freely and comfortably. Over tightening is a common mistake trying to make up for a poorly matched holster/firearm/pants/belt combination. Don't fall for it. ;)

Even a "comfortable" IWB carry setup is still going to take some getting used to. I think some folks are tempted to try and IWB a bit more gun than they really need that can increase the level of discomfort. A lot really depends on the person though. We all have unique bone structures and "padding configurations" so comfortable for one may not be comfortable for another.

Belt length should also be considered. IWB will add a good inch to inch and a half to your pant/belt size.

Another option that you might find comfortable, offer high concealablity and provide an easier draw... for those with a large girth at a low center of gravity (;)) might be a belly band. YMMV

I'll throw one more for Big Foot belts with the steel liner. When I drop my pants to do some other business, my gun stays straight up and doesn't flop. It really does make a difference. And good luck, like mentioned belts and holsters we all have a few! But start with a super stiff belt and go from there, sounds like you are on your way.
I'm sporting a pre-pandemic beer belly ;)

If possible…. Pick up and put down heavy objects. Walk/jog/run/row. Not trying to be rude but loosing weight will be the most comfortable solution. Definitely not the easiest but the most beneficial in more ways than one.

With that being said a quality belt (ares gear is my go to) and a quality holster are essential. It just takes time/money to find what works best for you and your body type.

If possible…. Pick up and put down heavy objects. Walk/jog/run/row. Not trying to be rude but loosing weight will be the most comfortable solution. Definitely not the easiest but the most beneficial in more ways than one.
It always gets me when a larger fella is trying to buy the lightest hunting rifle or bike parts when the easiest and cheapest solution is to lose the gut.

Get a good holster and belt.

The thing with pants is that it greatly depends on how loose you wear them to begin with. If you tend to wear them on the tighter side, you may need to go up a size. Much can also depend on how pants are cut. So you may have two different pants (different makers) in the same size but one pant will fit ok and the other won't.

Note too that Aliengear holsters tend to run on the thicker side compared to other holsters...at least the ones I've seen. But you'll know pretty quick if there is enough room when you throw everything on. Give it a shot (pun intended) and see if it works.

Pro Tip: Say whatever you want about tacticool 5.11 pants. But one thing I love about their "Stryke" pant is that it has an expandable waist system. So there's plenty of room on days you carry and they also fit well on the days you don't. YMMV.
I ordered a Stryker pants, thanks for the tips!

I'm throwing in my 2 cents since so many help me on this forum. I am a big guy also, not so much the belly but I'm about 6'4" and not small. I went with Levi's 550s since they are loose fit jeans, can IWB use the Kydex holsters for my P365 and never worry about it moving or sweating. Kydex is superior to any other material I have used, I sweat, we all do. Started with leather from some great local Portland companies, all of them were gross after a hot day.
The belt is the major component I had trouble with, nylon doesn't cut it. Columbia nylon belts are solid, but they don't handle the weight and movement during the day or you are hiking. Bigfoot does make some great metal lined belts, nothing moves when you have them lined up.
The grabber clip that came with my Kydex holster keeps the nose exactly where you want it. If you ever see the clip offered, I recommend buying it.

Hello,

Thanks!
I am 6'2" 260 lbs.
My EDC is a Beretta Centurion in a Crossbreed SuperTuck supported by a Beltman elephant hide belt with a stiffener.. Not cheap, but worth every penny. I have been wearing this belt daily, for fifteen years. Looks like a dress belt, not a gun belt.
Sometimes, I forget I have it on.
👍👍
Best,
Gary

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR