JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys and gals, first off ill introduce myself. My names Ryan and ive owned and regularly shot guns since i was about 12. Up until this point ive mainly been attracted to long guns of all varieties, yet i just recieved my first concealed carry permit and would like to get a compact, reliable, no tools needed to disassemble handgun for whenever i feel the need to carry. Ive owned mainly hunting rifles and shotguns throughout the years but just recently got my first 'modern sporting rifles', a BCM Recce 16 Ar-15 and a ruger mini 14 ranch rifle. I am very impressed with how i need zero tools to disassemble the Ar15 and how all i need is a rod of some sorr for the mini. Im looking for a concealed carry handgun with the same characteristics. I am however concentrating on keeping it compact and lightweight enough to wear inside the waistband during the summer with limited clothing. For a semi auto id like to stick with 9mm because i have a carbine that uses that caliber also. If you recommend a revolver 38/357 would be ideal but im up for any other recommendations. Thanks in advance!

+1 on XD/XDM.

Several of the Sigs also have very simple and quick take down, and are very reliable.

Oh yeah...forgot that Sig has a takedown lever. No tools necessary there either.

If your fingers are strong, you can take down a 1911 without tools too. Or you can use an empty mag as a bushing wrench.

Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

I can't think of a semi-auto pistol easier to field strip than a Beretta 92/96FS (current regular army sidearm) and its variants. Most of them are not good carry firearms, though. Most of modern semis are quite easy to field strip, with the exception of some sub compacts, but I can't give you specifics 'cause I own none. If I were you, I'd first focus on a handgun that conceals well, is light, reliable, accurate, and then look at the field stripping.

Just keep in mind, "field stripping" is more of a military term. Soldiers have a need to be able to take apart their guns for cleaning and lubing out there in the field with minimal tools, whereas you will very most likely pampering your firearm at home after each range visit.

You did not state what your likes/wants are for a 357Mag revolver. Until, there was a recent thread on the topic. My recommendation: S&W686 or the 686+ (7-round). Rugers are great choices, too.

Ok that gives me some things to consider and research. I am familiar with how easy a Beretta 92f is to field strip but, like you said, they are a bit large for concealing easily.

My brother in law just got a nice lightweight ruger 357 mag but im not sure on the model. I do like revolvers but the round bulge from the cylinder seems like it may be harder to conceal. I just really want something that is very reliable. Oh and whatever i get, Id like it to have adjustable sights.

Edit: And your right that after a range trip ill go home and pamper it however I would like to be able to completely field strip the gun no matter where I am without carrying any tools.

Actually, if you have one with original spec grip-screws, the M1911 was designed to be taken apart using nothing more than its own parts and a single .45ACP cartridge's rim as a screwdriver. (Hence the hybrid "flathead/Phillips mixed" screws.)

Ruger sr9c very concealable, light, reliable, and accurate. Field strips very easily with no tools. And very well priced. And best part you can use STANDARD full size mags (17 round for the sr9 with grip extension) OR the Compact mags (10 round even has pinky extension for added grip)

The majority of handguns require no tools to field strip............

Even your AR-15 requires tools to take down beyond field stripping.

So your best bet is to hit the gun stores and see what fits your hand. What feels good to you. What controls are in the right spot for you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top