JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I find this an odd requirement.

What's the scenario here? You're locked in a room naked with a gun and the Big Brother won't let you out unless you can field strip it? Beat him at his own game - pack a revolver!

I don't know of any pistol that requires tools to "field" strip. The simplest to detail strip is easily the Glock with the "Armorer's Tool," which is a $5 punch. It can be detail stripped in about 30 seconds. Glocks are butt-ugly IMO, but it's hard to argue with their rugged reliability, simplicity, and price point...they just plain work, and in the rare event you need to replace a part, someone nearby will have it in stock.

Springfield XD series, Ruger p-series. Glocks, Berettas. Any pistol worth a salt requires no tools for field stripping. Although the 1911 barrel nut can be troublesome.

My brother in law just got a nice lightweight ruger 357 mag but im not sure on the model. I do like revolvers but the round bulge from the cylinder seems like it may be harder to conceal. I just really want something that is very reliable. Oh and whatever i get, Id like it to have adjustable sights.
Since you did not specify you were considering a 357Mag for CC, I did not mention the S&W J-frames. My everyday carry is a S&W360 357Mag, with Steel cylinder. They are discontinued, replaced by the S&W M&P 360, with Titanium cylinders. About 2 oz ligther than the former, but pricier, too.

<broken link removed>

Sorry, no adjustable sights. SD is more of a point and shoot situation. But if you insist, get a Crimson Trace laser grip and kill three birds with one stone (1. adjustable, 2. night sighting, 3. aiming w/o having to bring gun to your eyes). These grips also help to absorb some of the recoil, 'cause pal, this baby kick like a mule!

http://www.crimsontrace.com/products/manufacturer/s-w-pistols-revolvers/01-1150

Yeah, it really depends on how far "disassembled" you mean...

My Kel-Tec P11 can be disassembled enough for a thorough cleaning with no tools, but you would need a punch to do a "disassemble to the individually-manufactured components" stage. (But with this weapon, I have yet to find any reason to do so.)

I mean, anything you could possibly want to do with it "in the field" you can do without a tool, anyway. Anything you can't do without a tool isn't something you would ever do away from a workbench anyway. (Like shaping the trigger, for example.)

Many great suggestions here. If you can find a store or better yet a gun show with a variety of firearms available, go there and pick them all up. Decide what feels right and look at the price. Remember that you can easily spend a couple hundred dollars more on holsters and mag carriers. The holster is in many ways as important as the gun. Despite what the movies show, holsterless (Mexican) carry is not a good idea.

As a loyal TNPer, I have to recommend checking out The Nutnfancy Project on YouTube. He's made some very informative and thought provoking videos over the years and helped me return to my 2A roots after too many years surrounded by fuzzy libs in school and university. Check out "Concealed Carry Protocol" and "Obligation of Carry." There are many others.

Carry while you're awake. Always. This isn't about paranoia, or expecting a gunfight at high noon. It's about recognizing that sane people can't predict when crazy will intrude. Odds are good that you'll never need your gun. It's also a safe bet that you'll be surprised if/when you do.

As for the topic:

Lots of options. Walther PPS (single stack/subcompact), Glock 26 or 19, M&P 9c (the requisite tool is attached to the weapon), XD9sc, XDm 9c, etc.

I advise carrying the largest pistol that you can commit to carrying year-round. After some experimenting, I found that I can effortlessly conceal a Ruger SR9c in shorts + tshirt. I would rather have that than a DAO single stack. Easier to be accurate with, less recoil, more capacity. Done.

Glock 19 - it's a square revolver that goes bang every time the trigger is pulled. It can be disassembled with no tools for basic cleaning. If one wanted to tear it down completely, a punch is all that's needed. The 19 carries easily, hides well and is very accurate. Can't go wrong. Now, all you have to do is find one:)

From a long history of sidearms I'd recommend any of the Springfield Armory XD(M) line; I've seen them mentioned a couple of times before in this thread. I CPL a 4.5 XM(m) .45, my wife's is their 3.8 XD(m) 9mm. I like this .45 so much I'm thinking of getting the compact for summer time weather. They break down for cleaning in about two seconds :)

Thanks for all the good comments guys. Ive done some looking into what was suggested and now have a better idea of what Im looking for. Now I just need to find somewhere that has some in stock so I can give them a feel.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top