JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My wife and I were driving through Seattle a few years back when a Seattle Police car passed us with an M16 laying loose on their trunk. We chased them for 10 blocks before we got them to stop. No acknowledgement or thank you from them but they did look pretty embarrassed.

Imagine if you'd have come across it just laying in the road a minute later! Hmmmm....what to do?

Its funny, If it were stolen out of one of our cars the news would be saying "Assault Weapon in the hands of a criminal!" Since it was stolen from a cop car they say "M16A1 semi auto rifle stolen out of car"... Wait a minute... isn't an M16A1 rifle SELECT fire??? Hummmmm.....

it should have been kept in a secure location. Will the officer be held responsible if anyone is shot by this weapon?

No..... We will be held responsible! It's black and scary and it's all our fault! These guns are like drugs and people will even steal them from police cars! They need to be done away with! Oh what a paradise it will be then! At least in the media.

It takes some balls to break into a cop car.
However that cop is an idiot for leaving a firearm in a vehicle, regardless whether the firearm was locked in some sort of bracket.
Is this that same type of gun mount (bracket) that is in the front section of the cruiser? If it is then this officer gets extra stupid point for leaving it in plain sight.

It is very easy to get in a locked car.
Porcelain Spark Plug breaks Car Windows - YouTube

Secondly, the rifle in it's mount can be removed very quickly if the person knows where the disconnect switch is located. In the past, the disconnect was one of those very old silver foot buttons down near the brake pedal. Some of the older members may remember when cars used this foot activated swicth as headlight dimmer switch. Point being is 10-seconds with a piece of broken sparkplug porcelain and one is gone with the rifle.

Just sayin...:)

Its funny, If it were stolen out of one of our cars the news would be saying "Assault Weapon in the hands of a criminal!" Since it was stolen from a cop car they say "M16A1 semi auto rifle stolen out of car"... Wait a minute... isn't an M16A1 rifle SELECT fire??? Hummmmm.....

That would be correct usage of the term Assault Rifle (select fire, magazine fed, intermediate caliber). I guess only firearms in the hands of honest civilians or criminals are capable of assaulting someone.

In defense of the officer-people are human and make mistakes.

But said officer should remember that they are human,like MOST of the rest of us.

Maybe this officer and others will realize they are NOT above the law,whether it be that of our Government,God's,or Murphy's!

Glad to have someone looking out for my "best interests".

Scary.

NO excuses..... we dont get one...and we responsible gun owners didnt kill kids
these same people want us law abiding citizens to pay for Sandy Hook & every other wacko why shouldnt this cop be put out there like the rest of us ....but cops are on a different elitist status than us
those clowns work for us ....sorta, supposed to anyways....

I wonder how OSP stows their M16s. I know that many agencies elsewhere in the country still keep the shotgun in the front rack and have a rack for the AR variant on the trunk lid. In this case I wonder how long it would have taken him to figure it out if the bcg or firing pin were swiped and not the entire firearm.
On a side note - I recall about 15 years ago LAPD went on a foot chase after a guy - he hopped the fence on one side of a house ran around back and hopped back over, jumped in the cop car and took off. Several months later the car was finally located. The guy parked it in another LAPD precinct lot. The only reason they did find it so soon was since it wasn't on that precinct's inventory sheet it didn't get the normal maintenance routine and had accumulated a heavy layer of dust on it.

Sounds like a mission from "Grand Theft Auto" played out in real life.

I wonder how OSP stows their M16s. I know that many agencies elsewhere in the country still keep the shotgun in the front rack and have a rack for the AR variant on the trunk lid. In this case I wonder how long it would have taken him to figure it out if the bcg or firing pin were swiped and not the entire firearm.
On a side note - I recall about 15 years ago LAPD went on a foot chase after a guy - he hopped the fence on one side of a house ran around back and hopped back over, jumped in the cop car and took off. Several months later the car was finally located. The guy parked it in another LAPD precinct lot. The only reason they did find it so soon was since it wasn't on that precinct's inventory sheet it didn't get the normal maintenance routine and had accumulated a heavy layer of dust on it.

Sounds like a mission from "Grand Theft Auto" played out in real life.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top