JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
and stole a Colt M16A1 semi-automatic rifle.

Since when is a M16A1 "semi-automatic"?

M16A1-32.jpg

Sounds like they got some of those "national guard specials" $25 M16s.

It takes some balls to break into a cop car.
However that cop is an idiot for leaving a firearm in a vehicle, regardless whether the firearm was locked in some sort of bracket.
Is this that same type of gun mount (bracket) that is in the front section of the cruiser? If it is then this officer gets extra stupid point for leaving it in plain sight.

BIG BALLS!

Ironically enough,and if Im lying,Im dying,I am listening to Bob Wills "Big balls in Cowtown" right now,as we speak!

Obscure,Im sure,but that's how I roll..

I was doing some non-LE training for some DEA Agents and one left his gun and badge in the classroom. I secured it and left it in the holster and returned all of it the next day, he acted like it was no big deal, he knew I'd watch out for him. I guess he was right, but I did not have a warm fuzzy about it.

He probably parted it out and reported it stolen. The parts alone are worth a mint these days.

They aren't transferrable to us peons. They get super duper excemption powers from the NFA since they are LE. Thats why they can get truck loads of M16A1s for $25 a pop from the national guard that wants to upgrade to M16A2s.

when i posted this "redcap" went through my mind....as i'm familiar with his responses, and for the most part it turned out as i had expected
i'm very surprised there are no alarms on OSP cars, for that matter there should be an alarm on gun brkt........i mean who knows what could happen when an offficer has to jump out of car for an emgy. situation, and big boy gun still in car....i'd sure like to know if that things coming up behind me in someone elses paws.....plus, i would think the car should be stripped of firearms when leaving it for the nite....gonna be kinda hard to claim april fools, when it's a month away !!

steven

Originally Posted by b2948kevin View Post
He probably parted it out and reported it stolen. The parts alone are worth a mint these days.

They aren't transferrable to us peons. They get super duper excemption powers from the NFA since they are LE. Thats why they can get truck loads of M16A1s for $25 a pop from the national guard that wants to upgrade to M16A2s.

Uhhhh,the guns come apart pretty easy.You keep the lower and sell the rest? No transfers?
I'm sure some nefarious character wouldn't mind buying a LEO lower either

That has to be about $4k's worth total

Any one who leaves any gun in a car in plain sight, locked or not is an idiot and deserves to have it stolen! An LEO should know better and should have had such a weapon in his residence, secured overnite. He deserves a very severe punishment as he of all people should have known better and if anyone is hurt or killed with his improperly secured weapon it should be his nut sack!. What a dumb ***!. And these are the people that want to take weapons from us because we are stupid and untrustworthy?.

I'm sorry, but isn't there a recent law on Oregon's books somewhere that allows your arrest if you momentarily leave unattended an idling car and it gets stolen (rather than actually tracking down the thief)? And this story is different how?

Keith

I remember after the North Hollywood shooting, a lot of agencies started putting M4's in their patrol cars. I remember seeing an M4 in a standard shotgun rack between the seats. I commented to the officer that if you pop the take down pins you could remove the lower receiver since the old shotgun rack only secured the M4 by the handguards/barrel upper receiver. He kind of looked at me funny then realized what I was saying. I haven't looked lately but wonder if they ever fixed that... :(

I wonder how OSP stows their M16s. I know that many agencies elsewhere in the country still keep the shotgun in the front rack and have a rack for the AR variant on the trunk lid. In this case I wonder how long it would have taken him to figure it out if the bcg or firing pin were swiped and not the entire firearm.
On a side note - I recall about 15 years ago LAPD went on a foot chase after a guy - he hopped the fence on one side of a house ran around back and hopped back over, jumped in the cop car and took off. Several months later the car was finally located. The guy parked it in another LAPD precinct lot. The only reason they did find it so soon was since it wasn't on that precinct's inventory sheet it didn't get the normal maintenance routine and had accumulated a heavy layer of dust on it.

On a side note - I recall about 15 years ago LAPD went on a foot chase after a guy - he hopped the fence on one side of a house ran around back and hopped back over, jumped in the cop car and took off. Several months later the car was finally located. The guy parked it in another LAPD precinct lot. The only reason they did find it so soon was since it wasn't on that precinct's inventory sheet it didn't get the normal maintenance routine and had accumulated a heavy layer of dust on it.

Now that takes BALLS. Pretty clever too.

Funny the direction this thread has taken. I haven't seen one person say "I hope they find it" or blame the thief who stole it instead of the cop. The general consensus is that the cop was a dumb *** who should have been more responsible with his firearm. I just counted 8 guns stolen out of vehicles on the "stolen guns" thread and not one insult. Makes me wonder if people would be more sympathetic if our political climate was a little different at the moment.

Funny the direction this thread has taken. I haven't seen one person say "I hope they find it" or blame the thief who stole it instead of the cop. The general consensus is that the cop was a dumb *** who should have been more responsible with his firearm. I just wonder if people would have a different attitude if our political climate was a little different at the moment.

It is more like schadenfreude.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads