JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
this just popped-up on my "flash alert"

Oregon State Police
OSP AND LA GRANDE PD INVESTIGATING THEFT OF FIREARM FROM PARKED OSP PATROL CAR
Posted: March 1st, 2013 4:40 PM

Oregon State Police (OSP) and La Grande Police Department is asking for the public's help related to the theft of a firearm from an OSP patrol car parked at a trooper's home in La Grande.

Between 4:30 p.m., February 28, and 8:30 a.m., March 1, 2013, an unknown person broke into an OSP patrol car parked off street outside a trooper's residence and stole a Colt M16A1 semi-automatic rifle. The firearm was in a mounted locked bracket when it was stolen.

Anyone with information to help regarding this investigation is asked to call OSP Southern Command Center at (541) 963-7174 or La Grande Police Department.

It takes some balls to break into a cop car.
However that cop is an idiot for leaving a firearm in a vehicle, regardless whether the firearm was locked in some sort of bracket.
Is this that same type of gun mount (bracket) that is in the front section of the cruiser? If it is then this officer gets extra stupid point for leaving it in plain sight.

It takes some balls to break into a cop car.
However that cop is an idiot for leaving a firearm in a vehicle, regardless whether the firearm was locked in some sort of bracket.
Is this that same type of gun mount (bracket) that is in the front section of the cruiser? If it is then this officer gets extra stupid point for leaving it in plain sight.

Not really. Just as easy as any other Caprice/Crown Vic...20 seconds if you know what you are doing, about a minute with just basic unlocking knowledge.

Not really. Just as easy as any other Caprice/Crown Vic...20 seconds if you know what you are doing, about a minute with just basic unlocking knowledge.

I don't mean that it is harder than other cars, but the criminal is breaking into a vehicle that he knows is used by an armed individual who will have a lot less of legal difficulty when he shoots and kills the criminal.
Plus I am pretty sure that breaking into a police car is in a different class as a crime than breaking into one that belongs to Joe Sixpack.

Dang.......OSP sure isn't very good at retaining their weapons!

Anybody else remember the female detective who left her duty pistol in the restroom of a Portland hospital? To my knowlege that gun hasn't been recovered yet.

These are the ones that have become public. How many have been lost or stolen (from LE) that haven't been made public?

In defense of the officer-people are human and make mistakes.

But said officer should remember that they are human,like MOST of the rest of us.

Maybe this officer and others will realize they are NOT above the law,whether it be that of our Government,God's,or Murphy's!

Glad to have someone looking out for my "best interests".

Scary.

Dang.......OSP sure isn't very good at retaining their weapons!

Anybody else remember the female detective who left her duty pistol in the restroom of a Portland hospital? To my knowlege that gun hasn't been recovered yet.

These are the ones that have become public. How many have been lost or stolen (from LE) that haven't been made public?

You wouldn't believe it.

In defense of the officer-people are human and make mistakes.

But said officer should remember that they are human,like MOST of the rest of us.

Maybe this officer and others will realize they are NOT above the law,whether it be that of our Government,God's,or Murphy's!

Glad to have someone looking out for my "best interests".

Scary.

No they have such great training so they are not like us. They are more responsible than us too. That is what the media says.

In another sad act of stupidity a cop in BG last year left his duty gun on a counter and his 3 year old son picked it up and shot himself.

To me that is not a accident and in a lot of states a non cop would be prosecuted.

Of course it is all sad

Sent from my LT28at using Tapatalk 2

I don't mean that it is harder than other cars, but the criminal is breaking into a vehicle that he knows is used by an armed individual who will have a lot less of legal difficulty when he shoots and kills the criminal.

All the more reason for the thief to be quick, quiet and fast. For some, the items within a cop car are worth the risk.

Plus I am pretty sure that breaking into a police car is in a different class as a crime than breaking into one that belongs to Joe Sixpack.

Gotta love protected classes.

T'was all sarcasm...But I do know a cop..We ran together years ago.. if the things we did as stupid kids were thrown out there,he would be working at Burger King..Luckily for the both of us,we pulled our heads out of our derrieres.My point was,people screw up,but in the big picture,they are human,which means they are capable of mistakes,just like you and I. I trust NOONE other than myself and my firearms for my protection.

Rest assured,I think the cop who had the M16 stolen is a mental midget.

OK I missed a part here,
now where did he leave his gun?

Is this like the Seattle cop who left his on the trunk lid?
Man would I have liked to field strip that gun for him.
Keeping the BCG of course

My wife and I were driving through Seattle a few years back when a Seattle Police car passed us with an M16 laying loose on their trunk. We chased them for 10 blocks before we got them to stop. No acknowledgement or thank you from them but they did look pretty embarrassed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top