JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Delta
Don't Expect Luggage to Arrive

I flew with mine last night (not on Delta). Airtag in the suitcase, gun box cable locked to the outside case, cable lock on each gun...bad things can still happen. The gun box they showed in the video was beyond flimsy, not the type I would recommend. The advantage of Southwest is that you still notify the agent at the counter and fill out your form, but beyond this, it goes with all the other baggage and is not marked in any way externally as a firearm. Other airlines typically have something to indicate that the luggage needs to be taken to the BSO (baggage service office) upon arrival...which means that there is likely a gun inside.

The last time I flew into PDX with a pistol, I arrived at baggage claim expecting to have to present ID to retrieve my luggage. Nope. Sitting off by itself near the luggage carousel, big old orange? sticker declaring a firearm inside....

It's too bad TSA, which is forced upon us, has a legacy of this stuff.

Very recently I flew to Florida. When I got to the hotel, I needed my debit card for the ATM. My debit card was missing from my wallet. And my first thoughts? TSA.

I certainly have no proof one way or the other, but it's sad TSA is automatically included as suspects.

Cop friend of mine got stranded in Los Angeles while visiting me. He had driven out with his family from back east. He had to fly back in an emergency and the airline for whatever reason would not let him carry in on with him despite LEO creds. He was ADAMANT he would not check his service gun into the airline. I believe he had inside info on how often it happens that stuff turns up missing. This played a role in me shipping my guns from Florida to WA, no way I was gonna let three of my best and brightest (literally) get lost or stolen.

There is a money line I draw when flying with guns. Can I afford to loose it? No, ship it.
I was in western Alaska on a job for 5+ months in a remote village flying out through Bethel. Bush plane arrived 4 hours early, transfered luggage to Alaska and checked in. TSA wasn't on duty yet so they stashed my gun case with rifle and bear spray (Rem custom shop 375 H&H and a custom 500 LB) and a G19. Arrived in ANC and only my tools duffel (cloths) arrived, no gun case.:(:(

Went to baggage customer service, oh, no biggie... OK I said, let me call the ATF, ya got there #. Why ATF? Cause there is a gun case with 8k in firearms missing.

Turns out since I checked in 'early, they had stashed my gun case under the inspection table and it was 'overlooked.

Bush planes in AK are OK, but when the commercial carriers get involved it turns into a corporate clusterF%&#! There are no ways around it.

I think carefully now before I fly with custom guns.

I gifted my sister-in-law some funds.... (not quoted allowing for edit)
You mean.... you recently sent your sister-in-law some money for St Patrick's day. You don't know what she used it for, but... completely unrelated... she did mention she has a carry you can borrow while you're there visiting(?) :D

Seems like it doesn't pay to declare a firearm in your baggage, cause firearm and luggage disappear…
Be CAREFUL here. They do x-ray the bags. If they (TSA) see what they even think is a gun, they open the bag. If they find a gun you are going to find it was FAR from being worth trying to fly with it not declared.
Stealing from luggage is as old at flying. Airlines have long really just not cared because they don't have to. I ship guns ahead to myself and ship them back. If I had to fly with one checked I would make sure it was one I would not miss if it goes stolen.

I've been traveling with my carry in a Lifepod that is cabled to the frame of my luggage. First class on Alaska and/or Delta with no issues. I used to use a portable Stack-On but switched to Lifepod when it came out because it's lightweight.

Depending on airport, it either ends up at the office or on the carousel. In both scenarios the bag doesn't have any other additional stickers.

This has been my experience for at least 2 cycles of CHL renewal.

Am I worried that either the luggage or the Lifepod won't show up at the airport, sure but flying first class they tend to give a bit more attention to making sure the bags are where they need to be.

Your mileage may vary, just my opinion.

The last time I flew into PDX with a pistol, I arrived at baggage claim expecting to have to present ID to retrieve my luggage. Nope. Sitting off by itself near the luggage carousel, big old orange? sticker declaring a firearm inside....
As asked above, what airline and how long ago? In the past decade I've flown American, Alaska, US Airways, Southwest, United, Delta and Virgin with firearms and not had the dreaded outside-the-case firearms sticker. About one out of every 20 flights with American, the bag, marked return to BSO, will end up on the carousel instead by accident. Usually in busy airports.
Seems like it doesn't pay to declare a firearm in your baggage, cause firearm and luggage disappear…
Bad news if you don't and they catch you. I know an officer who "forgot" and while he was talking with another officer friend of his that worked at the airport, his friend got the call on the radio that someone didn't declare a firearm. Oops, bet that was embarrassing; it cost him many thousands of dollars in civil fines.

I acknowledge that theft and loss can happen, but I'm betting I'm well north of 250 flights by now with guns. I've had a few misrouted that took a day for me to get, just like regular luggage. I'm on my sixth trip this year and continue to talk with TSA and airline folks about how to do it better. (Swapped stories with a TSA agent in Denver last week, and we pretty much travel with guns in the exact same manner.) The exterior of my suitcases look like they have been drug through Portland for a year. I'm betting the nice D&G or Coach bags are going to get stolen first (an airport in SoCal had a HUGE issue with this not long ago).

I have flown Alaska multiple times and find that by following their printed rules that it is a very process. Usually I have been met at baggage claim by a nice agent who 'collected' multiple bags and checked ID before she would allow them to be picked up. A single male traveling alone often causes a 2nd look through the scanner but I'm used to it.

They do x-ray the bags.
Yep, they do, and it is (or was anyway) about a 3 day delay if you were found to have an undeclared firearm.

I once knew a person who worked the baggage check in at the Redmond, OR airport and he 'found' at least 3 guns during his time - one an FBI agent.

One of them, a guy actually set a rifle case (with rifle inside) with his luggage. Needless to say how that worked out.

Last Edited:
Yep, they do, and it is (or was anyway) about a 3 day delay if you were found to have an undeclared firearm.

I once knew a person who worked the baggage check in at the Redmond, OR airport and he 'found' at least 3 guns during his time - one an FBI agent.

One of them, a guy actually set a rifle case (with rifle inside) with his luggage. Needless to say how that worked out.
It's no big deal cuz around here Alaska just leaves the cargo doors open which sprinkles guns and bags randomly throughout the trip on unexpecting people below. :s0112:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top