JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A couple weeks ago I was at the Winco across from Fred Meyers on 102nd in NE Portland. I was doing some shopping with my lady and I spotted a guy conceal carrying. It was printing a little bit. The guy was wearing a green Oregon Firearms Federation hat.

?Im just wondering if I should have told him? If it was me I would want to know I was made. It would help me be more aware of how the way I dress and my style of carry affects my conceal-ability. Also I was curious what he was carrying because I am an enthusiast after all.

Might not have been a bad conversation to strike up. Definitely would want to be a little careful with your approach because in that neck of the woods I'm assuming you'd have more anti's than pro's but I think it would be good to let the guy know. I know that is a constant worry for me when I choose to carry. Also, would be better for you to be the one to notify him versus some anti overreacting/calling the cops on him. Mistakes do happen so you gotta be careful out there.

Why are people so worried about "printing" or even showing a firearm when open carry is legal?

I have commented to people before just so they know. Might say something as simple as "hey do you know you are showing". It will be taken one way or another, if they are mad simply move on.

The only reason people see printing half the time is they are looking for it. Most people are oblivious to what might be under a shirt and in truth are so enthralled with their own life to really pay much attention to what others are doing.

This guy lacks responsibility. Period.

So you know him personally? Without a picture showing what the printing was like and what the person was doing when they printed, your comment is totally unfounded and foolish. "Printing" happens. I guarantee the guy that walks into Winco wearing (obviously) too large of pants and/or a trench coat will get more people attention/suspicion then the guy that shows a little grip while reaching for the bag of apples. Most people aren't even going to notice. People who do CC or trained (LE or PS) are usually the only ones that would notice a print because it's a size up thing when we are observing our surroundings.

This guy lacks responsibility. Period.

not-sure-if-trolling-or-serious.jpg

On a walk with the dog early this morning, .40 everyday carry. Very chilly, wearing a wool-lined hoodie. I kept feeling it rise just a tad and was self conscious for about a block. Then it hit me. I'm licensed. I'm capable. I'm not intoxicated, psychotic or otherwise in need of a gunfight. At that moment the only difference between me and Mr. Lacks Responsibility was I wasn't grocery shopping.

I absolutly couldn't care less if I print! And I don't care if the most rabid anti- gunner that ever lived spots me through the lens of his danged camera and has the archangel as his witness! PRINTING IS NOT BRANDISHING!!! People! Oh, and if you ever notice me printing, keep it to yourself! As I said, I don't care and we are not going to get all cosy and rub our guns together! At the range etc you can chat and handle my arms to your hearts content, I don't want to discuss it in a parking lot!

I think the key here is concealed, not hidden. Along the lines of not brandishing. For the most part, only CCL/CPL folks notice this stuff- the general public doesn't know what to look for, and usually figures what they see is some goofy old cell phone in a geek holder on a belt. The law doesn't require them to be hidden- just concealed in a reasonable manner. If you and I knew each other, and it was no longer concealed- i.e. in plain view- I'd mention it. Beyond that, I'd mind my own business. I think your intent is good- help a fellow "likely good guy" to hone his craft- but you never know and I'd just move along...

I think the key here is concealed, not hidden. Along the lines of not brandishing. For the most part, only CCL/CPL folks notice this stuff- the general public doesn't know what to look for, and usually figures what they see is some goofy old cell phone in a geek holder on a belt. The law doesn't require them to be hidden- just concealed in a reasonable manner. If you and I knew each other, and it was no longer concealed- i.e. in plain view- I'd mention it. Beyond that, I'd mind my own business. I think your intent is good- help a fellow "likely good guy" to hone his craft- but you never know and I'd just move along...

What law says that? Here area all the WA laws, and I have never seen that one, Chapter 9.41 RCW: FIREARMS AND DANGEROUS WEAPONS

I have a friend who needs to carry a medical device that makes a serious print. At first I thought he was carrying, but then I realized that he, as a died in the wool lefty, and at our "No Guns" workplace, would not do that. Then I recalled the serious medical battle he has had for the past couple of years. My first thought was "Gun" though.

WA laws are irrelevant.. the guy was in portland..

That said with our cold temps lately, have to wonder how he was carrying and what he was wearing to be printing. Asside from that, who cares.. If he printed while reaching for something, or in an ackward position, I would give him a pass and commend myself on spotting him as well as knowing there is a another sheepdog around. If he was constantly printing or showing I would likely have approached him away from other people and just mentioned it very casually in passing.. Maybe even a "what do you carry" to strike up a conversation, and let him know that I carry too, start talking hardware etc.

If he reacts badly to initial mention, oh well, I am on my way after a quick mention, nice to not meet you..

Some people may not care if they show or not, it is not considered brandishing. At the same time if you do not care, they why not just open carry? Ohhh yeah it draws less attention. Well then why snap at someone that brings to attention that your shirt is hung over your pistol grip like a trench coat in a spaghetti western high noon showdown? We have all been there, specially new carriers that are trying to find they way they like to carry and that works FOR THEM.. Never hurts Help a fellow 2A supporter out...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top