Caught my first salmon today!

Opening day in Oregon, got an invite from a vendor to go salmon fishing with a guide in Astoria. Whole boat limited (1 each) by noon. Fought my first salmon ever, just never went. Think I will do this again, way fun and man this sucker fought back. Guide was working his cell phone with the other guides he knows and got us on the fish.

This baby is dinner tonight!

25C02070-4CA1-4583-8D0A-045AD1772BD9.jpeg

oldcorpgunny

Reactions
This fish should be returned to the aboriginal peoples of the Northwest immediately. What you have done is to further exploit the limited resources of the First Nation people. I can intercede on your behalf if you bring this fish to my home here in Clark County, where I will return it to the rightful owners. On another unrelated note, what temperature is Salmon baked at?

You are hooked now my friend!!! :D:D:D
I sure am. I am looking to go again as soon as I can find an open seat.

I love smoking meats and have all 5 of the salmon bellies from our boat on Friday. They spent 14hrs in brine (flake salt, molasses, and water). Pulled this AM and paper towel dried them. They are on wire racks in the fridge drying right now, in a few hrs they will go into the smoker at 140 on applewood. Maple syrup on stand by to glaze them with. Smoking in a Fast Eddies Cookshack FEC120, made in Ponca City OK. Beast of a reverse smoke smoker with the firebox in a separate chamber. I will give the other three guys on the charter one of each of the bellies. I probably should have brined the two tail sections of the fillets since this is a lot of work for two salmon bellies for me!

This fish should be returned to the aboriginal peoples of the Northwest immediately. What you have done is to further exploit the limited resources of the First Nation people. I can intercede on your behalf if you bring this fish to my home here in Clark County, where I will return it to the rightful owners. On another unrelated note, what temperature is Salmon baked at?
450 for about 12 min. With salt, lemon pepper, and sprigs of fresh dill under thinly sliced lemon rounds. In honor of our native peoples, its served with a nice PNW Chardonnay. ;)

You're lucky that ODFW allowed you to retain a naive fish. It's a real heart breaker having to release one that nice.
Very lucky indeed. Two weeks only season with 1 fish per day limit. The two natives that came over the rail were both monsters.

BTW: As a firearms forum, that is a Glock 20SF on my chest! That chest rig I have on is a Hill People Gear chest pack V2. Crazy comfortable, allows full movement holds tons of gear including the Glock 20SF in the inner pouch. (with a Fricke Zacchaeus trigger guard holster) I will do a separate post on this setup, been using it all summer and it's outstanding.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
DRRC .22 Rimfire Challenge Oct 10
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Oregon State Steel Challenge Championship
Central Oregon Shooting Sports Association
Millican, OR 97701, USA
Miller's Quarry Clean-Up
Miller's Quarry
Miller Rd, Mt Hood Village, OR 97067, USA
Free Firearms Safety Course (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom)
Seattle, WA, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Triple B Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Triple B Guns
    This isn't really a review as we own the store but rather an invitation to come down and visit us. We specialize in hard to find unique guns but...
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
  • Revelation Arms
    4.00 star(s)
    Depends who answers the phone
    I was given the number to Roger Loock by Beaver Creek Armory, as I needed parts I had ordered from MCarbo installed on a Kel-Tec Sub2000. On my...
  • Coastal Farm & Ranch - Cornelius
    3.00 star(s)
    Lesson learned
    I’ll take some responsibility here, as I took the employee at their word instead of doing a thorough inspection. Short story is that I asked for a...
Top Bottom