JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was fortunate enough to be able to afford to go to Riffe Lake and fish for two consecutive days. I had a buddy show up Sunday morning, thanks for joining me @Thomas_Gunne and it being the maiden voyage this year we didn't limit out until 230.
I had @flashpan slated to go Monday with me but he had to cancel. You made the right call, it was very windy this morning and would probably have gotten someone sea sick.
I stayed the night at the park and was in the water at 6 AM. I rode the bull (rodeo fishing) the wind waves till 9 o'clock, this is not for the faint of heart but going solo caveman has handled that many times. I limited out by 11 and on two occasions I had doubles and landed three out of the four.
Sundays bounty.
FA1EF64D-9E22-4B4A-9F36-B9527C687457.jpeg
God Bless America!!! Looks good eh @Cogs?
2470935B-4343-4281-A43F-4C9F10924BA9.jpeg
Mondays bounty. #3 didn't want it's picture taken. :p
5653FF7F-02D1-40AC-A993-E7453A55BC38.jpeg

The triploid rainbows are presumably stocked since they presumably can't reproduce. What about the landlocked coho? Do they taste like regular ocean migrating coho? Do they go into a spawning mode after a few years and spawn and die? Or do they survive just fine and spawn year after year? Or maybe not spawn at all and have to be restocked?

Today (7/12) I am thankful for 42 years with the woman whose persistence has preseved my life to this date. Right there with me through all manner of medical mayhem. However, we are going to celebrate over some Copper River Salmon, so it's fishing of a sort.

Today (7/12) I am thankful for 42 years with the woman whose persistence has preseved my life to this date. Right there with me through all manner of medical mayhem. However, we are going to celebrate over some Copper River Salmon, so it's fishing of a sort.
Only if the clerk throws it to you and you, in fact "catch it" then I would say yes. Lol
Congratulations on your anniversary. :s0116:

The triploid rainbows are presumably stocked since they presumably can't reproduce. What about the landlocked coho? Do they taste like regular ocean migrating coho? Do they go into a spawning mode after a few years and spawn and die? Or do they survive just fine and spawn year after year? Or maybe not spawn at all and have to be restocked?
Correct, the Triploids do not spawn, they just eat and grow. These are supposedly the same fish stock that was created for Rüfüs woods lake over east Washington.
IMHO I believe that the smaller Coho taste better than their migratory brethren, we pan fry em in butter and Johnny's seafood seasoning (now labeled "Lemon/Dill).
Yes, some do spawn naturally, I forget the name but they also supplement planting from the hatchery. I am not 100% sure if they die or not but we've caught many a spawned out fish, we do not keep them.
This is a concern of many people that love and target the LL Coho, as the Triploids grow the more they eat and the food source in the lake will not support such voracious eaters.
One day we were there at the fish cleaning station and fish and wildlife representative (a non-agency employee) was doing a survey about this very subject. She told us that lmost all the people she had talked to had the same concerns as we did and that she would take that information back to her superiors. Suffice to say, her WDFW superiors round filed it any efforts to remove the triploids from Riffe lake… :s0118::s0118::s0118::s0118::s0118::s0118::s0118::s0118::s0118::s0118:

If you don't mind my asking, were you using down riggers? What were you pulling behind the flashers? If you don't want to divulge that info I certainly understand.

I was fortunate enough to be able to afford to go to Riffe Lake and fish for two consecutive days. I had a buddy show up Sunday morning, thanks for joining me @Thomas_Gunne and it being the maiden voyage this year we didn't limit out until 230.
I had @flashpan slated to go Monday with me but he had to cancel. You made the right call, it was very windy this morning and would probably have gotten someone sea sick.
I stayed the night at the park and was in the water at 6 AM. I rode the bull (rodeo fishing) the wind waves till 9 o'clock, this is not for the faint of heart but going solo caveman has handled that many times. I limited out by 11 and on two occasions I had doubles and landed three out of the four.
Sundays bounty.
View attachment 1238599
God Bless America!!! Looks good eh @Cogs?
View attachment 1238600
Mondays bounty. #3 didn't want it's picture taken. :p
View attachment 1238601
In that last photo, you can't hear the fish yelling, "BREATH MINT, MAN…. BREATH MINT!!"

;) :D

If you don't mind my asking, were you using down riggers? What were you pulling behind the flashers? If you don't want to divulge that info I certainly understand.

Come on up to experience it first hand, that's the only way I'll give up my valuable secrets. You will have to swear a blood oath to never utter what tips I reveal on said trip...

:p:p:p

Last Edited:
Well I'm back at it again. Arrived this afternoon to my favorite campsite at Riffe lake.
Gonna whack em and stack em solo tomorrow but have some ballast for Wednesday.
The evening bites are as good if not better than the morning bites. ;)

This is today's catch, I was targeting the mature Coho deep but believe they are staging a pre spawn migration to the mouth of the creeks that feed the lake. The 4 smaller ones were bleeding, I will not release them to die a terrible death, I'll eat em cuz they be tasty pan fried. :s0005:

2A1C19CC-DC1F-4C65-A6F7-C92E96CA0629.jpeg

Life's good.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews