JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
getting my first red dot for a handgun and wondered the best way to zero it. I read about taking 5 shot groups and then adjusting the red dot based on where you hit it, but then i saw someone else saying to just use a bore sight. Thoughts?

Welcome to the forum. You are likely to get several answers on this so I'll start. Pick your sight in distance, I use 15 yards, and fire a group, I use 3 shots to start but 5 is fine. Adjust from there. With the last three dots I've mounted and sighted in, it has taken an average of about 10 shots to zero. Use the ammo you plan on shooing and confirm if you will be shooting self-defense ammo as well. It can have a different POI than your range ammo. I've never bothered with a laser bore sight and you would need to confirm by shooting anyway.

Enjoy your time at the range and on the forum!

getting my first red dot for a handgun and wondered the best way to zero it. I read about taking 5 shot groups and then adjusting the red dot based on where you hit it, but then i saw someone else saying to just use a bore sight. Thoughts?
get a handgun rest, a folding table and a chair and a paper target stand. Go out in the woods and set it all up. Zero at 25yds. I would not use a boresight.

I use the bore sight to rough in the sights, then finish with 2 shot groups, then verify with a few 5 shot groups. Definitely bench rest the gun for the shots. You can shoot a few freehand groups after it's sighted in to be sure once it's sighted in.

Last Edited:
I use a bore sight at home on the wall, then go check zero at the range. I have a universal bore sight and don't like messing with that part at the range.

Often, for me, the bore sight is spot on or really close, but not always. Don't depend solely on the bore sight since diffident ammo doesn't typically shoot to the same point of aim. You have to go check that the ammo you're using agrees with the bore sight.

Getting a good bore sight is important. Doesn't need to be an expensive one necessarily. The one I use was like $30 on Amazonia, but it's worked well. I have a 9mm bore sight that works good also, also not an expensive one. But I've had a 12g and a .223 bore sights that were way off. If you're finding that the bore sight isn't getting you pretty close to the desired zero, it may gut be out of spec.

I use a bore sight at home on the wall, then go check zero at the range. I have a universal bore sight and don't like messing with that part at the range.

Often, for me, the bore sight is spot on or really close, but not always. Don't depend solely on the bore sight since diffident ammo doesn't typically shoot to the same point of aim. You have to go check that the ammo you're using agrees with the bore sight.

Getting a good bore sight is important. Doesn't need to be an expensive one necessarily. The one I use was like $30 on Amazonia, but it's worked well. I have a 9mm bore sight that works good also, also not an expensive one. But I've had a 12g and a .223 bore sights that were way off. If you're finding that the bore sight isn't getting you pretty close to the desired zero, it may gut be out of spec.

I bought an adjustable one years ago from Midway. It has ends that you can swap out, to fit everything from .22 to 12 gauge. Probably about $30 also.

Often, for me, the bore sight is spot on or really close, but not always. Don't depend solely on the bore sight since diffident ammo doesn't typically shoot to the same point of aim. You have to go check that the ammo you're using agrees with the bzero'edore sight.

👆This, for me.

I would add though... just for a couple firearms I don't think they are worth the bother. Standard live fire sight in is preferable.

I use the cheap universal laser sights, but to be aware... they often need to be zeroed themselves, which can be a little tedious. It's only a one time deal though. Once your laser is zeroed it's good to go! (zeroing instructionals are available online) The other option is the certified laser sights that can cost quite a pretty penny and not at all worth the cost just to save a few sight in rounds, IMHO.

If you're the type that is tinkering with your firearms quite often... it can be a nice aide to have around, but not at all what I would consider an 'essential'.

Bore sight tools are for people who like guns and like to change things up. You do not need one if you just want to set up one or two guns once and leave them that way. Even cheaper kits are just not worth the minimal investment if you only ever plan to use them once. A decent shooting rest for the same price will serve you way better, as you can use that to verify things still shoot straight if, for example, you ever change your duty ammo loading. The bore sight is to quickly get shots back on paper when you change things about the gun itself; new sights, new barrel, new springs, whatever. It is useless for tasks like verifying a new loading shoots where you think it does, which is a far more common task for most people.

In your case you just want to sight in a laser. Go to the range, use a rest and shoot a group. Move the laser to the middle of that group, change the paper and shoot a new group. Should be really close to spot on, depending on how consistently you shot the first group. Adjust the laser to the new group if you think it needs it, change paper and shoot another group. Repeat until the laser is as tight as you want it.

A bore sight will typically save you one grouping in this scenario, which is only 3 to 5 shots. If you only plan to do this one time those extra 3 to 5 shots are a cheaper investment than the bore sight kit. If you plan to get/change up more guns just do the math on your break even point. That is typically 5-10 initial sight-ins, depending on ammo cost, group sizes and the kit you are looking to get. If you can see yourself dong that many initial sight-ins then sure, grab a bore sight kit. If not skip it and just shoot a bit more instead.

Whatever you do do not think a bore sight kit will make your gun shoot straighter, or make your kit more accurate. Practice does that. All a bore sight does is get your first shots on paper so you are not chasing your hits through the dirt to get the initial sight-in done. If you are having a problem with that pre-first-step then you need to do two things; move the paper closer so you can hit it consistently and practice more so you can hit it consistently.

It really is as simple as that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top