Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

case lube for progressive?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Grizzly_A, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Grizzly_A

Grizzly_A Portland Metro Area Member

I've been doing single stage reloading for while and want to start bulk reloading so I've been doing some research on progressive presses for rifle. I'm looking at the Hornady AP since it seems like the best value at the moment.

Most of the stuff I'm reading seems to be focused on pistol and since most of the pistol dies are carbide (at least the ones I have are) they don't require case lube.

My question is since the progressive is a complete start to finish reloading setup (with some assumptions) what lube do you use? Do you use the same lube as for a single-stage? Do you use dry lube?

I've got a RCBS setup, so everything from top to bottom is RCBS, dies, lube, case pad, press, etc.

Is anyone currently running the Hornady AP?

2. ZeroRing

ZeroRing 26th District, WA Active Member

3. duster

duster east central sask. New Member

I load on a hornady projector mainly pistol calibres but on occaison rifle cal. I use rcbs
    lube pad and just give them a quick wipe with a paper towel when finished loading.
    I understand quite a few just run them in the tumbler for about 20 minutes or so to clean
    the lube off.

4. MilesTeg

MilesTeg Troutdale, OR Active Member

Imperial die sizing wax. You will never use anything else again.

5. RockKrawler

RockKrawler Gresham Member

6. jmfh

jmfh Everett New Member

I use a dillon 650 and I use dillon's lube and it works fine.I have not used anything else so you can take it at face value!It just sprays on, let it dry a few minutes, then I run it through the tumbler for about 15-20 minutes.

7. jib

jib Central OR Active Member

If it aint broke don't fix it, or fix it till it is :) I've read about to many stuck cases with One Shot (user error) ?, for rifle I use a single stage press with RCBS case lube and pad I've had one stuck case, I thought I could get by lubing every other case :banghead:

8. Grizzly_A

Grizzly_A Portland Metro Area Member

I saw some guy on Youtube who uses synthetic oil for sizing...granted it wasn't a progressive....

9. kodiak1

kodiak1 Alberta Territories Member

In my 650 I give the brass a blast of ONE SHOT if I don't have carbide dies.
    If using carbide dies I just get after them.

Ken.