JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use a small base sizing die on the range brass I pick up by the thousands. I have too because I don't know anything about it.
I use a regular sizing die if I know the brass is mine and is going to be used in a semi auto.
I neck size only, fire formed brass fired in my bolt guns.

There are many different scenarios for sizing & lube choices.
When I process a batch of 5.56, it's usually about 1,000 cases at a time. A lube pad works best for me in this scenario.
Spray on lube works just fine for neck sizing only.
The base of a cartridge is where the press is under the most load. If I spray a loading tray full of brass with spray lube, how does it get distributed on the case base? You have to pull each case out one at a time and spread the lube with your finger - time consuming.

It appears everyone has a preferred method and even my methods change depending on weather I'm making match grade re-loads or plinking reloads.
For example, when I'm reloading for my 338LM I go so far as to use a meplat trimmer and micrometer seating dies. When I re-load for 5.56, the process of doing so changes depending on if I'm creating 77 grain SMK's or NCC's for competition verses 55 grain loads for freehand CQC practice.

View attachment 1477480 View attachment 1477481 View attachment 1477484 View attachment 1477485
Well now!
:s0140:

I think?

I use a small base sizing die on the range brass I pick up by the thousands. I have too because I don't know anything about it.
I use a regular sizing die if I know the brass is mine and is going to be used in a semi auto.
I neck size only, fire formed brass fired in my bolt guns.

There are many different scenarios for sizing & lube choices.
When I process a batch of 5.56, it's usually about 1,000 cases at a time. A lube pad works best for me in this scenario.
Spray on lube works just fine for neck sizing only.
The base of a cartridge is where the press is under the most load. If I spray a loading tray full of brass with spray lube, how does it get distributed on the case base? You have to pull each case out one at a time and spread the lube with your finger - time consuming.

It appears everyone has a preferred method and even my methods change depending on weather I'm making match grade re-loads or plinking reloads.
For example, when I'm reloading for my 338LM I go so far as to use a meplat trimmer and micrometer seating dies. When I re-load for 5.56, the process of doing so changes depending on if I'm creating 77 grain SMK's or NCC's for competition verses 55 grain loads for freehand CQC practice.

View attachment 1477480 View attachment 1477481 View attachment 1477484 View attachment 1477485
Great Post. Appreciate the images as well. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top