JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Up to this point I've been using the RCBS lube and pad. Yeah yeah, I know, heard it before, it is a PITA, but it's been satisfactory up until now. I've had this can of one shot and going to give it, a "Shot". I'm going to do a bunch of .223 brass, like 300 shells. I've read the techniques before but don't recall fine points of the process of getting One Shot on/in the cases. I know it has to dry well before sizing. Can you lube them, size a bunch and leave the rest that have been sprayed on the bench overnight, or longer? Or will they need lubing again?

The spray lube does eventually evaporate leaving the cases dry. As for lubing cases, just line them up in a load block and give them a spray at about a 45° angle and aim for the necks. Keep about 3 to 5 inch of space from spray straw and case. Than just let sit for a about 1-3min. and you can still size them if they are still a little wet(I've had no issues doing this). Longest I've gone without having to relube them is a day at most but the wetter they are from the lube the longer it stays lubed, but if course, too much can be bad.

Put the cases in a gallon baggie. Spray and shake. Keeps all the overspray inside, on the cases and slows down the evaporation of the lube if you leave them overnight/for a couple days.

I used to use "One Shot" for straight cased handgun brass. For me it isn't slippery enough for resizing bottle necked rifle cases.

I usually use a lanolin based lube (Like Dillon's) for bottlenecked rifle cases.

Similar to Rob1516 I use the spray and shake method but use a box instead of a plastic bag. For the most part I can put my bottlenecked cases in my lanolin soaked cardboard box and shake without having to spray any new lanolin lube on them. The lanolin that has soaked into the cardboard is plenty to coat the cases when shaking without having to spray extra on. --- just how I do it, not necessarily the best way to do it.

For straight walled handgun brass I use RCBS lube dies (Which I haven't added lube to for years). The lube die leaves just enough RCBS lube to make the cases fly through my progressive press. The RCBS lube dies are ABSOLUTELY WORTHLESS for bottlenecked cases because they don't lube the most important part... the neck.

I used to use "One Shot" for straight cased handgun brass. For me it isn't slippery enough for resizing bottle necked rifle cases.

I usually use a lanolin based lube (Like Dillon's) for bottlenecked rifle cases.

Similar to Rob1516 I use the spray and shake method but use a box instead of a plastic bag. For the most part I can put my bottlenecked cases in my lanolin soaked cardboard box and shake without having to spray any new lanolin lube on them. The lanolin that has soaked into the cardboard is plenty to coat the cases when shaking without having to spray extra on. --- just how I do it, not necessarily the best way to do it.

For straight walled handgun brass I use RCBS lube dies (Which I haven't added lube to for years). The lube die leaves just enough RCBS lube to make the cases fly through my progressive press. The RCBS lube dies are ABSOLUTELY WORTHLESS for bottlenecked cases because they don't lube the most important part... the neck.
I don't lube any straight wall handgun brass. Though a have, at times, just touched my fingers on the lube pad and transferred some lube using a little extra finger with 9mm. Those can be tough little suckers and a workout on the shoulder sometimes.

Currently I'm dipping just the necks in a dry lube on media pellets and then rolling on the pad. I swear I don't notice much difference in retracting the expander ball. It's pretty stiff with or without the dry lube. But numerous times I've measured the shoulder and the expander ball isn't stretching it back out.
I like the idea of the gallon bag the best. But does enough of the spray lube get IN the necks? Does it matter?
It's been a good while since I prepped .223/5.56, so I don't remeber if pulling the expander ball up is all that tough. I've been doing nothing but 6.5 X 55 and .30-06 which is pretty hefty cases.

YMMV but this is all I have used for bottleneck cases for years now. From .223 to 30-06. I've never left them very long and usually do a batch of 20 - 50 cases, wait like @Local Loader said, and off to the sizing die.
....Using just a gallon zip-lock? Seems if a person is spraying the brass in an open space that $12.00 can is going to get used pretty quick if you're coating all sides of the shells? Compared to that nasty, messy RCBS ooze that is still 3/4 full after several 100 cases.

....Using just a gallon zip-lock? Seems if a person is spraying the brass in an open space that $12.00 can is going to get used pretty quick if you're coating all sides of the shells? Compared to that nasty, messy RCBS ooze that is still 3/4 full after several 100 cases.
It took me one 600 cases before my first can ran out. As for spraying it you don't have to do both side. You can wipe them as you load them on the press to cover the whole case.

I stopped using a lube pad the first time I used one. for me, they are just like opening a paint can, once the lid is off, things are going to get messy and I'm stuck with more time cleaning up than the job itself.
imperial applied with warm fingers nearly as fast as I can handle them, all while inspecting them before reuse which I never omit, so not handled twice. I have a bunch of shop made wooden 20 count holders to stage them in till sizing is complete. The little BB size can of lube last me for years.
I use to dip the neck, but found a quick sweep of the ball with a Q tip dipped in imperial dry lube every 3 or so cases, or when they begin to grown, worked just as well, less messy and faster than dipping all. 30-06, 270's, 243, 6.5 X 55 plus others, all those cases responded favorably this method.
Other sort of batch lube for progressive press doing large batches where cleanup time is offset by the volume I see as better.
For my single stage, lower quantity, less messy and plenty fast for me.

One shot is great, and a little goes a long way. You don't need to saturate the cases just "mist" them.
Haven't used RCBS lube pad in over 40 years...

Only time I've had problems with OneShot was when I tried being miserly with it on .223 cases. I use it for all rifle and most pistol cases. I use a largish plastic tub, spray the tub, toss in a layer of brass, spray and shake, another layer of brass, spray and shake, about 6 more times and it yields a tubful of ~300-350 lubed cases.

It was @rob1516 who uses the bag method. I think @Local Loader and I just spray the cases.

I like One Shot, several previous posts have commented on good ways to apply it. I still use it occasionally, but only for small batches of brass.

Mostly, I use home brewed lanolin solution which I can make a gallon of and use for a long time. 1 part 100% pure lanolin oil to 8 parts 99.5% pure alcohol, applied with a spray bottle. My understanding is it is powder safe, but I still wet tumble after resizing anyway. Works great and I have a ton of lube for not a lot of $ (insert snark here ;) ). Need a quality sprayer to help avoid beading and subsequent brass dimples, but a little goes a LONG way.

My friend with a progressive 650XL has a bottle of the Dillon pump spray, probably only like an 8oz bottle. He's probably loaded more rounds than my 1 ton truck can haul and I know I've used it for lots of thousands of rounds I've loaded on that press too. We use a plastic shoebox (have lots of them for reloading organization), load maybe a couple hundred pistol cases, spray two or three pumps, put another couple hundred cases and shake shake shake for about 30 seconds. Have never had a stuck case, bottleneck or straightwalled.

Put the cases in a gallon baggie. Spray and shake. Keeps all the overspray inside, on the cases and slows down the evaporation of the lube if you leave them overnight/for a couple days.
*ALSO* Doesn't get the lube down in yer Case Block HOLES to saturate the primers!!! :)

Hate having to soak my Case Blocks in soap and water to get rid of the Lube. :(

OneShot for all!! Got a shallow box about a foot square with a towel glued in the bottom of it. Dump in the brass and give it a spritz or two. Shake it around and spritz it again and start loading. No stuck cases yet!! Jeannie is loading some 9mm that was lubed with OneShot two years ago and it still works just fine.

Thanks for all that guys. Appreciate it. I haven't had a stuck case since I started loading shouldered rifle brass, and I DO NOT want to deal with that. I kinda' like the idea of the plastic box with some towel glued in the bottom. @Lilhigbee is a great trouble shooter and "neat trick" kind of guy! We always have a bunch of gallon freezer bags too. I might try that first. And who knows, maybe down the line I could even force myself to use that sheep excretion/alcohol stuff. Ick. :s0155:

I to use the shoe box/ one shot method, only I stand the cases up in a loading block first. I set the block in the shoe box and mist one side then the other. For bulk lubing I have a bunch of the blocks pre staged.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top