JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thank for the call out. I'll offer what I can here.
First off I don't run automated presses. I pull the lever every time for every round I make. If something doesn't feel or look right I stop and figure out why.
Second In the progressive presses I only use ball powders and case activated powder drops. The ball powders meter extremity well so I trust but verify the powder drops I'm getting. Once I'm sure I randomly check thru out the production run but no more than every 100 rounds. I don't want to have to pull a whole Lot of ammo so if there is an issue it will be in the last 100 rounds I made. I pull the last 100 and fix the problem then start all over again.
I do use a RCBS digital scale and re-calibrate it every morning. I used to double check it with a RCBS manual scale but over time have found that to not be needed.
The above is for straight wall pistol cartridges and that is all I load commercially.
My own personal rifle cartridges are loaded on a Rock-Chucker, and I hand weigh every charge to the exact amount. It might take me all day to load 100 rounds.
yes, not unlike what I do for pistol ammo on a progressive.
Because of the low volume/weight of powder in pistol loads, I throw 10 charges to check and verify weight.
Of course, I set my scale at 10x the target weight for weighing those 10 charges.
My powder drops thru the expander die, so I have made some looong cases to be hand held against the expander to throw those 10 charges into.
And yes, I maintain contact with the expander throughout its upward travel with the powder measure.

9BigCase.JPG
38sp and 9mm

Last Edited:
I've pondered about that too. In the Dillon 650 it would take complete redesign of the entire rotary shell plate system. And just when is any electronic scale all that accurate under all typical conditions? I've seen variation of weight reported affected by everything from where the power plug is located to the distance/location of a small fan across the room. So far any change I've ever discovered in my dreams, proves to be incompatible or no real advantage.

So far the Dillon power alert volume monitor device has proven effective enough to be safe for my version of reloading.
The scale set up in a progressive station would have to weigh twice for every round. The empty case would have to be weighed first to zero out case to case variances. Then each case would need to be weighed again to find the powder weight. Cool idea but seems like it would be very hard to implement to me.

I have been loading on my Dillon 650XL for 30+ years now and have never had a problem with a squib or a double charge. The way the 650 works it is kind of hard to miss a charge or load a double charge. I do use a powder check die but I can't remember the last time it went off indicating a powder level problem.

My press is a little lower than most. I check inside the neck to see what the powder level is before setting the bullet on the case. My 550 has a led light to help.

Konrad has a interesting visual guage for checking powder level in the case, Konrad's reloading procedure

There is also some things to learn from him on simplification of loading match rounds. He is a very good service rifle shooter and does not spend much effort in his reloading of match ammo.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top