JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Are you preparing for a Cascadia Rising-type event?

• Yes! It is of primary concern!

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • Yes, though it is of a secondary concern.

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • Yes, but I am so far away from the major impact area that it isn't a big deal.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • No, I am not, because [fill in the blank].

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I don't live in the PNW, so, no.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • I think being completely unprepared is a brilliant plan for all eventualities.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Um, wut iz duh (burp!) ques'n (bromp!) uh-gen?

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
FWIW, National Geographic had a documentary on this one.

Yellowstone and Glacier are parks that I have not visited yet. I did visit Jasper and Banff in Alberta back into 2010 and throughly enjoyed it. We saw mountain goats running beside the highway every night in Jasper driving back to our hotel in Hinton AB. I was driving but my wife rolled down the car window to capture this picture. Lots of cars pulled over and tourists were out of their cars taking pictures.

IMG_1526.JPG

Last Edited:
Yellowstone & Glacier are must sees, go if you can. You could spend months having a great time. I did a month in Yellowstone way back. Awesome time!

...as far as the Yellowstone volcanic zone exploding, they did a movie on it. Just fly to Tibet & board one of the Arks that the world governments are building in secret...:rolleyes:

Central Valley of Kali wouldn't be falling in to the Pacific but the biggest impact of San Andreas big tremors would be power/etc. Up here near Redding area we have plenty of H20 right now and lots of them big black bovines they like to make juicy burgers out of. I'd be more worried about the 38 out 39 million Californians/illegals that don't live HERE in the north migrating upward.

Cascadia is major possibility but if you look over human recorded history which is so short geologically there have not been a lot of super catastrophic events. Fukushima, several tsunamis, Krakatoa, Himalayan quakes, SA quakes, Pompeii.

Prepare for it but don't lose sleep over it...like most of life, it is totally out o your control.

Brutus Out

Thank you CountryGent ...

One usually only needs to read the first 10 pages of such nonsense to get a feeling of the tone, context and format describing in detail all of the out of joint shoulders and elbows strained beyond recognization, (sp?) from patting each other on the back for a job well done. All the self congratulations in the world can not gloss over the fact that ANY disaster infrastructure is lacking.

The reality is the earthquake drill failed? For it to be a realistic earthquake drill involving a 9+ Cascadian Seduction event any and all possible drills absolutely would fail. The drill would have to be formated for it to fail. This was not done? There is no possible civil defense infrastructure capable at any price or value that could possibly succeed and overcome such an earthquake.

In short, the event would overwhelm any and all government infrastructure. I used to help write such garbage reports years ago when I drove a fire engine for a small ISO Class One Fire Department. My old agency would have been totally overwhelmed. But I was ordered to write absolute lies about how good the City Council had done their job providing public safety.

After all, the goal of any elected public official is to get reelected. Was there a minority report done on this earthquake drill? Was the minority report published? Was it allowed to? Or was certain professional death threatened upon anybody foolish enough to sign off on such a realistic tell-it-like-it-is real deal listings on how everything FAILED and why? It would be interesting to read.

Final feeble point. There is no possible way ANY government can successfully intervene after the fact. We are going to be on our own. Totally. For SW OR USA probably for at least 6 months. Maybe longer. Not days. Not weeks. Not one month. But ... those in our $broke$ Josephine County OR Emergency Services Office have not had the opportunity in the past to speak the truth.

Linux Mint 17 Speelll Chzk cants speelll. :)

Last Edited:
Living in Central Oregon one can look any direction and see the remnants of the SUPER VOLCANO that went off, I do keep an eye on the caldera's rising in this area for curiosity, because if another super V hits we will probably be wiped out as in Vaporized, Nothing you can do about it unless you have warning and a rocket ship to get you off planet.

Strategic Observation #9 from the document posted by @CountryGent

The exercise showed that one of the fundamental impacts for Oregon associated with a catastrophic earthquake is the probable loss of established fuel storage and distribution capacity. Such an impact would significantly impair statewide response and life sustainment operations immediately following a catastrophic earthquake, and significantly delay the start of immediate recovery efforts.

The main thing with these problems is to keep the AA **montra** in mind
Something like don't worry about the things you can't control
**hate spell check:mad:**

Last Edited:
Strategic Observation #9 from the document posted by @CountryGent

The exercise showed that one of the fundamental impacts for Oregon associated with a catastrophic earthquake is the probable loss of established fuel storage and distribution capacity. Such an impact would significantly impair statewide response and life sustainment operations immediately following a catastrophic earthquake, and significantly delay the start of immediate recovery efforts.

The obvious response to the loss of fuel storage is to bring fuel barges up the Columbia and Willamette (at least as far as the falls), and set up temporary distribution there. Smaller boats/barges can distribute smaller amounts further upstream if a pumping system is set up to transfer fuel to above the falls. If the event happened in the low water period, it will be harder to use the Willamette than other times, but shallow draft jet boats could be pressed into service. In an emergency, I'll bet that some of the shallow gravel bars would be deepened by volunteers to get supplies moving. :D

Central Valley of Kali wouldn't be falling in to the Pacific but the biggest impact of San Andreas big tremors would be power/etc. Up here near Redding area we have plenty of H20 right now and lots of them big black bovines they like to make juicy burgers out of. I'd be more worried about the 38 out 39 million Californians/illegals that don't live HERE in the north migrating upward.

Cascadia is major possibility but if you look over human recorded history which is so short geologically there have not been a lot of super catastrophic events. Fukushima, several tsunamis, Krakatoa, Himalayan quakes, SA quakes, Pompeii.

Prepare for it but don't lose sleep over it...like most of life, it is totally out o your control.

Brutus Out

You omitted the Storegga landslip that cut the mainland British Isles off from Europe, completely submerging an area of some 8000 square miles.

AND the Vanport flood.

AND the subject of my Masters, the PACNW glacial floods.

Most events, as you can see, either begin or end with large amounts of water in some form.

Imagine the entire Willamette Valley flooded from the Gorge down to EUGENE [please note spelling] to a depth of around 400 feet...

It really happened, like Mount Mazama blowing its top a short while back - certainly so recently that it is part of the local native American myth and legend. In case of 'huh?', Mount Mazama is the name given to the volcano now called Crater Lake, whose noisy demise was about ten times bigger than the recent Mt St. Helen's eruption. I have a few bits of Mount Mazama that were recovered in Manitoba...

You really don't have to leave Oregon to have your very own set of humungous natural disasters.

tac

Last Edited:
The obvious response to the loss of fuel storage is to bring fuel barges up the Columbia and Willamette (at least as far as the falls), and set up temporary distribution there. Smaller boats/barges can distribute smaller amounts further upstream if a pumping system is set up to transfer fuel to above the falls. If the event happened in the low water period, it will be harder to use the Willamette than other times, but shallow draft jet boats could be pressed into service. In an emergency, I'll bet that some of the shallow gravel bars would be deepened by volunteers to get supplies moving. :D

That assumes the refineries are online and not damaged. There are not many refineries in the Pacific Northwest.

Petroleum refining in the United States - Wikipedia

There are a lot of other sources for refined oil products that ship by barge. It will take a while to coordinate, but the logistics are pretty straightforward.

A lot of fuel is pumped through the pipeline down the I5 corridor, but in the event of a major earthquake, people would be doing little driving even if they had the fuel, since the roads would be impassable. That means that most liquid fuels would be used in reconstruction.

The logistics are similar to a military campaign. No use of existing infrastructure, haul the fuels to an ever-expanding "front" where the action (fresh relief effort) is, and supporting the area "taken" by the relief campaign. Military logistics 101.

those able to participate in reestablishment of organized society in such truly catastrophic events then have all sorts of 'next most likely' random natural catastrophe pending....

meds/food/fuel/parts/power electric & other/are only going to go so far for so long before they too are absent

While I don't read fiction much, someone gave me 'The Road' about 10+ years ago....some unnamed but extensive disaster left a gray and desolate pitiful remnant surviving....author's presentation was realistic enough to overwhelm my conviction 'we'--ie "me" .....are resilient/resourceful/healthy enough to survive any such massive extensive disruption of the comforts/food/medication of modern society

In best of circumstance I'm already well into 'the back nine'....and that in itself reduces a lot of my own existential anxiety about not only such happening *this very afternoon* but
worries of personal survival of such....although it does raise concerns about what the grandkids will face

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top