JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Are you preparing for a Cascadia Rising-type event?

• Yes! It is of primary concern!

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • Yes, though it is of a secondary concern.

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • Yes, but I am so far away from the major impact area that it isn't a big deal.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • No, I am not, because [fill in the blank].

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I don't live in the PNW, so, no.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • I think being completely unprepared is a brilliant plan for all eventualities.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Um, wut iz duh (burp!) ques'n (bromp!) uh-gen?

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
Some scientists have gone on professional record saying that a 100 foot tsunami is possible along the immediate OR earthquake coasts. I would like to see that but from a very safe distance.

At one time we were considering moving to Brookings Oregon. No matter where you go, there you are. Trading wildfires for earthquakes and tsunamis. Snow for fog. Rain for wind. Yikes! :)

One thing I rarely see mentioned is prescriptions. Some people survive on vital, perishable, very expensive medication that must be refrigerated.

I have to say I'm not a big prepper. Maybe I should be.

"What I think many forget is that it truly takes a community to survive."

So very true. I once sat and listened to a vendor at a gun show go on about how he was fully prepped. He had his land, supplies, guns, etc., and he could set up a field of fire to keep out those that hadn't prepared, and just watch the bodies pile up around his "perimeter". He said that the first to go would be those too stupid to prep at all, infirm and those relying on meds. Good riddance according to him.

He wasn't joking either; it made me sick. What a jerk. If you can't help suffering people around you, what good is surviving. BTW, my young son requires expensive, perishable meds that you can't really stockpile.

I'll come back to this later, but where's the 'No, but I want to' option in the poll?
I think most people, including myself, fall in into this category.

As to the thread itself, it's not a question of if, but when and how much of the fault ruptures. The southern part of the fault ruptures with greater frequency than the whole fault. We are overdue, but when you're dealing with a geological timescale, the average can vary by decades or centuries if not longer. I do expect to see an event in my lifetime.

One thing I rarely see mentioned is prescriptions. Some people survive on vital, perishable, very expensive medication that must be refrigerated.

I actually fall into this category as I am a Type 1 diabetic. There were articles in my diabetic magazine after Katrina on prep stuff and I've read information elsewhere. Here is what I learned...refill your prescription as soon as you can. It sound silly, but most people refill just before they run out. I refill at the 25 day mark of a 30 day supply, then I "stashed" what was left.

So say when I refilled I had 15 test strips left, I set aside 15 from the new bottle. The next month I would put this 15 back in and set aside 30 from the new bottle. I'm up to three month on testing and insulin pump supplies. I refill my insulin at the same time as my testing supplies, whether I need it then or not, so I have about three months there as well.

I will say I am very precise about rotating to make sure nothing is wasted and I have never skipped anything to try to "stash." I just plan ahead. We have a generator to keep things cold, but I have even used lakes and rivers when needed.

This has helped me not stress when my Dr. office has been a pain about refilling my prescriptions or when they have to get authorization from my insurance. It also came in handy during the snow storm, as that was when I was supposed to get my meds.

"What I think many forget is that it truly takes a community to survive."

So very true. I once sat and listened to a vendor at a gun show go on about how he was fully prepped. He had his land, supplies, guns, etc., and he could set up a field of fire to keep out those that hadn't prepared, and just watch the bodies pile up around his "perimeter". He said that the first to go would be those too stupid to prep at all, infirm and those relying on meds. Good riddance according to him.

He wasn't joking either; it made me sick. What a jerk. If you can't help suffering people around you, what good is surviving. BTW, my young son requires expensive, perishable meds that you can't really stockpile.

Jerk? Hmmm not so much. Just a different mindset than yours & mine.

I'd have no problem helping people whom want to help themselves or the community, if I can, & helping wouldn't put my family at risk.

I'd have a major problem with people whom would want to take what is not theirs.

In a situation resulting in loss of standard rule of law (WROL), crime would be dealt with swiftly and harshly.

I'd have no problem helping people whom want to help themselves or the community, if I can, & helping wouldn't put my family at risk.

I'd have a major problem with people whom would want to take what is not theirs.

+1 to this. I can, have, and will again helped with community preparedness with my time, talent and treasure. When my schedule isn't so slammed with insanely long work hours and with two small children, I will do more with community preparedness. The boundary line for those efforts, of course, is that it does not impact my family's well-being, now, or during a disaster.

"Jerk? Hmmm not so much. Just a different mindset than yours & mine."

I was referring mainly to his "good riddance" attitude towards the infirm and those who rely on medication for survival. Oh yeah, world class jerk. That and the fact that he seemed to be having fantasies about mowing down the ignorant hordes that would certainly come looking to him for help.

I do agree with your point about helping family first. In the face of some kind of natural disaster it wouldn't be practical to break out your month's worth of supplies for your family just to feed the whole neighborhood for a day. There has to be a good balance between helping as much as you can, and taking care of your own.

For example, a good friend of mine is a county deputy. In the face of a life altering natural disaster, is he going to be out protecting the community, or headed home to take care of his family? Duty is very important, but family comes first.

"Oh yeah, world class jerk. That and the fact that he seemed to be having fantasies about mowing down the ignorant hordes that would certainly come looking to him for help.

On more than one occasion I've seen this syndrome in the preparedness world. How much of it is macho palaver rather than an actual desire to carry out such acts, I can't say, though I suspect the former in most cases. Do not get me wrong; defending hearth and home from those seeking to do harm is legal and, in my humble opinion, morally justified. Getting off on the idea of mowing down refugees is different kettle of fish though.

I'm not a geologist by any means, but I wouldn't expect it. Volcanoes are simply places where magma makes its way to the surface. The outer crust usually gives resistance. The greater the resistance, the bigger the boom. Mt. St. Helen's for example. Any Cascadia event would occur because the Juan de Fuca plate is submerging under the North American plate and getting stuck. Once it releases, you get an earthquake. While volcanic activity is driven by this process, it doesn't mean that it will increase magma rising to the surface.

Last Edited:
In your case @CLT65, it might be worthwhile looking into any way you might stretch/stock up on your sons meds.

Look into getting a portable 12V fridge, they have really nice/efficient units these days. I have one that can be a fridge or a freezer (but not both at the same time), 12V or plugged into the house. Maintains temp & has a digital readout & low voltage cutout (so it will not kill a car battery). They work best off of deep cycle batteries, but will also work off of a standard car battery. You can alagator clip type chords, or heavy duty old school type cigarette lighter outlet type.

It came with a cigarette lighter type, BUT I don't plug it into a regular car outlet--the draw is just a touch too high. I built an outlet which connects to my camper deep cycle battery using heavier gauge wire.

The current fridge we have is a Dometic brand model, and has been chilling away near continuously for about 3 or 4 years. We use it as an overflow fridge in the garage. The previous one we had was an Engel we bought used for under $400. It was easily 10 years old when we bought it & it healed temp just fine (no digital readout, just a dial adjust). We sold that one because it was a bit "noisy" when it cycled...just enough to be noticeable in the camper while we slept.

We also have a remote thermometer / monitor station for our current fridge. It's just a simple home "weather station" where we Velcro the outdoor temp sensor to the inside of our fridge. The monitor station gets moved to the camper cab or the camper, depending. So we can see at a glance that the fridge is maintaining temp. I think the "weather station" with sensor was like $30 at Radio Shack. Probably can get them even cheaper off Amazon now that Radio Shack is defunct.

Wow, I typed Seaside into that aftershock site. Restoring everything takes over 3 years, probably indefinitely. I guess Seaside is just gone.

It turns out I'm moving to Lincoln City. It's a bit better off. Only sewer and water and medical facilities take 3 years. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that link. It will help me get motivated on my preps.

Here's a good novel, by the way:
https://www.amazon.com/Cascadias-Cu...485402211&sr=1-8&keywords=cascadia+earthquake

Last Edited:
A few of us are Type 2 diabetics. Oral meds. Slowly but surely we are building up our 180 day emergency pharmaceutical stash. Being snow bound for 8 days was a wake up call. Being an ex RN kinda helps here.

One thing I haven't seen on the thread is prepping to get home if the big one hits while you're at work. I keep a 72hr bag in the trunk of all of our cars. My DD has just enough supplies to get me home, but my wife's car has enough cover the whole family.

My trek home would most likely be brutal. I live in Camas and work in Beaverton, so I would have to traverse the west hills, hopefully cross the Willamette at either the Tillicum or Sellwood bridge (only two bridges that should survive the big one) and then figure out how to cross the Columbia.

Along the way, I would actively look to "acquire" a bicycle. Realistically getting across the Columbia is going to be a bubblegum. If I'm lucky I could barter for a ride across on a boat, or maybe "acquire" a canoe or similar to paddle across.

What are your plans to get home?

For water crossings; perhaps an inflatable with a good pump, and enough room for 72hrs of gear... a Fish hunter 600 maybe good size.... or something like that. Would be able to hold a bicycle too. Dry boxes or dry bags are your friends here. You could strip the stuff out of vehicle and go nuts with waterproofing the crap out of it and attach a fording snorkel system but that won't work for the Columbia or parts of the Willamette (could work in Salem during the summer where its usually low, but during such an earthquake event its not gonna be safe anyhow due to mud, debris, crap).
Actually you might be boned either way if big one hits and things start falling into Columbia and Willamette :confused:

Might have to get airborne somehow. A Light Sports License may be useful here but not sure how much gear youcan realistically load into an ultralight craft....

I do have concerns about the possibility of soil in my area turning to mush if the "big one" hits. The water table is close to the surface and the grass in my yard is noticeably soggy in the spring and fall.
I have prepared as best as I can, but there is always room for improvement. I still need to secure a few pieces of heavy furniture to the wall, but I seem to keep putting that off for another day.
I also need to put extra vehicle, house and storage shed keys and some emergency cash in a ammo can and bury it in my yard in case the house becomes inaccessible due to earthquake damage.
I think it is a good idea to have easy access to tools to turn off your water and natural gas by keeping them in an outdoor shed rather than in your garage. Think in terms of "how will I access my supplies if I can't get into my house easily". Outdoor water storage, bug out bag and medical kit in your vehicle, or at least have supplies located near an exit, such as a workshop in the garage rather than in a spare bedroom or attic.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top