JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Are you preparing for a Cascadia Rising-type event?

• Yes! It is of primary concern!

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • Yes, though it is of a secondary concern.

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • Yes, but I am so far away from the major impact area that it isn't a big deal.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • No, I am not, because [fill in the blank].

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I don't live in the PNW, so, no.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • I think being completely unprepared is a brilliant plan for all eventualities.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Um, wut iz duh (burp!) ques'n (bromp!) uh-gen?

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
Hard to prep when your broke:oops:.

Someday though :rolleyes:

I will wager that you are allready far more prepared than 90% of your neighbors, simply because of knowledge.

Add to that, because you stipulate that your broke, you probably shop extremely frugal. If you take a keen look around your house, how much real food do you have on hand? Do you have a bit of camping gear, enough to make for a decent car camping weekend allready?

Don't really need much more than food, shelter, security & water. Done.

Oh & I'll add another idea, particularly given your knees Joe: cart or wheelbarrow or jogging stroller. Bet you allready have something you could use or cobble together allready around the house.

Last Edited:
last summer I built a water storage rack holds 100 gallons. Ive never been much of a prepper but I do think the Cascadia quake is a valid concern.

this is a fun website, put in your zip code and it estimates how long you will be without roads, hospitals, police, water/sewer utilities etc. its an eye opener...
Aftershock

its funny how it recommends to have 2 weeks of preps, but indicates I will be without water, police, healthcare and roads for over a year.

Well well, it seems that TPTB do not recognize Washington as being telling the PNW. Wow, just wow.
Yeah I know
Always be vague... Period...
Although we live for most of the year in far-off yUK, we DO spend a month or so in Oregon every year, and having read all this prep stuff, and been scared fartless by it, I've arranged to have a pal who is handy with prepping deer to take my appendix out in the morning.

I figure that driving along Highway 101 at Rockaway Beach, trying to beat off the crazies, avoid the opening chasms in the pavement, put out my burning tyres AND dodge the 300 foot-high tidal wave is going to give me enough to worry about without having to contend with a grumbling appendix, too.

tac

If your buddy can't get that rude appendix out of ya then LMK & my wife can preform this task for ya.... she's so good with deer that she got one during Thanksgiving with her Subaru.... o_O:p
NEXT!!!!

Excellent subject and thank you all. Our overall survival preps overlap. Wildfires. Earthquakes. Civil break down. Josephine County Oregon. We have next to zero law enforcement already. Political. O and C Railroad. Long story. Sossss .... we already have lived with the necessity of self protection.

Guess what? Nothing bad has happened yet. Yep .... nearly zero law enforcement. Dodge City. Tomb Stone. Wildfire preps include several little known 4x4 escape roads out of our Illinois Valley. Not on maps. Seasonal for sure. These routes would also work if we decide to move after the Big One.

If the Big Earthquakes hits we will be completely on our own for weeks. Power may be out for months. The average idiot who lives here has less than 7 days food in the house. Too many hungry folks and too many guns. A bad combination. Getting out might be our only option. Or lay very low.

Options. Pre planning. Decision making processes before the fact. We have the luxury of time. But ... 36" of snow on our escape routes shut us down. We would have to stay here. The snow is gone but the point is no matter how well you try to think and plan, the situation changes. Yikes! :(

I will wager that you are allready far more prepared than 90% of your neighbors, simply because of knowledge.

Add to that, because you stipulate that your broke, you probably shop extremely frugal. If you take a keen look around your house, how much real food do you have on hand? Do you have a bit of camping gear, enough to make for a decent car camping weekend allready?

Don't really need much more than food, shelter, security & water. Done.

Oh & I'll add another idea, particularly given your knees Joe: cart or wheelbarrow or jogging stroller. Bet you allready have something you could use or cobble together allready around the house.

Yup, I'm a hoarder when it come to supply's and gear;).

Just lost my 6000 gal pool/water storage to the freezing weather so I'll have to come up with al alternative when I can and I have a list of food I'd like to have in bulk - other then that I am good to go.

We actually started with "can money" and using loose change. It takes a lot less than you think to start. The trick is to start by prepping for a day or two, not months or years. We started with car bags with one days supplies. Then did our bug-out bags with two days worth. Then added to our car supplies, so that we now have about four days if the car is full, a week if less people.

The key is to start with small goals, and add to it.

I have the basics - some things just won't be CL'ed:D.

We would get by but I always want to be better off then I am where prepping is the subject:)

I am well ahead of where I was six months ago after you all scared the bubblegum out of me with the last thread. o_O

I still have more that I want to do but getting closer every day. :)

I live and work in EMS on the north coast. I am pretty well prepared just not real well organized. I think I have what I need for long term (years) survival even if my house falls down. I can always use the pieces to make a nice shelter if needed. What I think many forget is that it truly takes a community to survive. Where I live I am surrounded by like minded individuals and many of us have talked about this scenario. Really I think we have it down close enough. Living with what we have, can do and are individually capable of doing as a group is central. Nuf said!

We began preparing when the news about the Cascadia fault hit the news media. Since that hit we have increased our purchases of canned food with long shelf lives and added several months worth of survival food with a 25 year shelf life. Before getting quantities of these products we bought individual servings of anything that looked appealing to make sure we liked them. Good move since a lot of them tasted like cardboard or worse. Also began stocking up on bottled water and several filters to clean up river water.

Purchased a portable dual fuel generator (gasoline and propane) and several 5 gallon propane tanks to supplement the ones we already had for the barbeque and 2 burner camp stove. I added a small 1 burner propane stove and a dozen of the small propane bottles. I plan to get an adapter to refill them from the 5 gallon tanks. For light we bought several battery powered ("C" cell) lanterns and batteries. I had planned to get some rechargeable batteries and a solar recharger but it slipped my mind. This thread has reminded me though so I'll do it this week.

The above is in addition to all of the camping and outdoor gear we have collected over the years.

We've also had a family meeting to develop contingency plans for where to meet and how to communicate in the event it actually happens.

Ever lived aboard a boat? Everything is bolted down for a reason. We have gone through all our buildings and tried our best to fasten everything down. Water heaters. Heavy furniture. Stuff on top of stuff that can fly around and hurt you.

All the kitchen shelves and cabinet doors have positive closures on the doors. All the drawers in the various vanities have positive closures that should prevent the things from flying open. One has to lift, then open. The computer is NOT tied down!

Yikes! Something to do. Also need to consider some way to make sure the books shelves are secure and the books will not fly out and nail you. Same technique used about a boat. Everything will need to be secured. Easy to do.

The foundations seem quite extensive. Probably little turning point or shaking there. The house is very new and built by the prior owners extra heavy for earthquakes or that huge rare snow load. Very wise. Also wild fire safe or as much as doable.

Consider heavy bedroom furniture . Beds. Same thing with heavy mirrors. The plan right now if that if the Big One (earthquake) hits and we are home we will try to run into and remain in the bathroom. Center of the house. Interior strong walls.

Then when the shaking ends to evac safely.

There are Old Coot grab panic bars throughout the bathroom for us to grab. No sharp corners. Hopefully the structural integrity of our home will hold up. Heavy wood frame construction. We have done just about everything possible.

All of this was done over a couple of years. A little bit at a time. Nothing was considered high priority.

I heard that the first tsunami ball was sold recently to an Oregonian. In the interview, she figured crossing the highway to higher ground was just too much so she and her pooch will just ball it.

Ball

Up to a 10 person capacity with the option of a toilet and (or) surround sound. :eek:
You never have to wonder anymore what it would be like to be in a washing machine on the spin cycle.....:p

We began preparing when the news about the Cascadia fault hit the news media. Since that hit we have increased our purchases of canned food with long shelf lives and added several months worth of survival food with a 25 year shelf life. Before getting quantities of these products we bought individual servings of anything that looked appealing to make sure we liked them. Good move since a lot of them tasted like cardboard or worse. Also began stocking up on bottled water and several filters to clean up river water.

Purchased a portable dual fuel generator (gasoline and propane) and several 5 gallon propane tanks to supplement the ones we already had for the barbeque and 2 burner camp stove. I added a small 1 burner propane stove and a dozen of the small propane bottles. I plan to get an adapter to refill them from the 5 gallon tanks. For light we bought several battery powered ("C" cell) lanterns and batteries. I had planned to get some rechargeable batteries and a solar recharger but it slipped my mind. This thread has reminded me though so I'll do it this week.

The above is in addition to all of the camping and outdoor gear we have collected over the years.

We've also had a family meeting to develop contingency plans for where to meet and how to communicate in the event it actually happens.

Cabelas has the adapters for refilling 1lb bottles, just make sure they have it in stock before trucking there, if ones not close by. Or get one shipped in via Amazon.

We have one, but haven't started using it. My thinking on them is to NOT refill the 1lb bottles ahead of time for storage, as they do have a tendency to leak a little bit. More for filling for near immediate use. Also, from what I've read, it's very difficult to get them re-filled above half to 3/4, so take that into account.

Dual fuel gen is a great idea! Propane is cleaner and also a bit quieter, also needs less maintenance (due to being cleaner). You might consider getting the bigger 30/35lb tanks, same footprint as the 20's. BiMart has them on special frequently. You do have to have them purged prior to first fill though, but a good place will only charge you like $5 for the purge.

Survival Capsule? I like the color. How much would a good Scott Air Pak cost? Thats a firefighter widget used to breathe. The plus a dozen refill bottles and you would be good to go. The eventual overpressure would also have the potential to reduce water leaks. Yikes!! Surf is up!! :)

Edited for speelling, sintax, punchuation, grammours, dangling partacycles, etc..

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads