JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Are you preparing for a Cascadia Rising-type event?

• Yes! It is of primary concern!

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • Yes, though it is of a secondary concern.

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • Yes, but I am so far away from the major impact area that it isn't a big deal.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • No, I am not, because [fill in the blank].

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I don't live in the PNW, so, no.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • I think being completely unprepared is a brilliant plan for all eventualities.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Um, wut iz duh (burp!) ques'n (bromp!) uh-gen?

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
Hard to prep when your broke:oops:.

Someday though :rolleyes:

Bob's Redmill beans/lentils, rice, flour & oats. 25lb bags for $20 - $30 each. One of each should keep you alive for 60 days, 90-120 days if supplemented with harvested meat (large game in rural areas, squirrel & birds in urban) & veggies. Pack them in 7 gallon Mylar bags with a 200-300gm O2 absorber, seal with an iron & put them in individual 5 gallon buckets.

They'll keep for 20+ years, longer if stored below 70°, less if stored over that. Buy one every month or two and you'll be set by the end of summer.

The best way to go is to eat your food preps. So rather than preps, they become part of your groceries and can be cycled through to maintain freshness. This will cut your food budget down and afford you the extra food for emergencies.

But don't forget the most important prep, water. A DIY filter is easy to make with a shirt, charcoal, sand & a couple plastic buckets. Just get light tight storage containers & bleach for treatment.

Bob's Redmill beans/lentils, rice, flour & oats. 25lb bags for $20 - $30 each. One of each should keep you alive for 60 days, 90-120 days if supplemented with harvested meat (large game in rural areas, squirrel & birds in urban) & veggies. Pack them in 7 gallon Mylar bags with a 200-300gm O2 absorber, seal with an iron & put them in individual 5 gallon buckets.

They'll keep for 20+ years, longer if stored below 70°, less if stored over that. Buy one every month or two and you'll be set by the end of summer.

The best way to go is to eat your food preps. So rather than preps, they become part of your groceries and can be cycled through to maintain freshness. This will cut your food budget down and afford you the extra food for emergencies.

But don't forget the most important prep, water. A DIY filter is easy to make with a shirt, charcoal, sand & a couple plastic buckets. Just get light tight storage containers & bleach for treatment.

Our definition of broke is different:p.

Might be employed soon though :rolleyes:.

Totally agree with eating your preps and making it just part of your lifestyle though;).

After being a home dad for 7 years, we have a lot of catching up on all parts of our life though so it should technically be easier to implement when I'm working.

I took it one step further and have a dedicated tool tied off to our gas main on the side of the house. The threat of fire post-quake is no joke.

I have that same tool and it also has a water shutoff tool as well. Water will be least my worries if the big earthquake hits the Seattle area. I have an automatic natural gas shutoff valve on my home that automatically trips when it detects a magnitude 5.2 earthquake or higher. None of neighbors have them so my neighborhood may burn down.

Amazon has an interesting documentary on the Cascadia quake and tsunami.

Cascadia Subduction Zone Earthquake Articles and Info links | Certusa

One tidbit I gleaned from it was that, sometimes, a Cascadia event has triggered the San Andreas fault to move, but they didn't say to what degree or how often.

Cascadia will be bad enough for the region and the nation, but add to it some level of movement on the San Andreas.... the national ability to respond to an event of that level will severely tested.

The same link references a series of articles about the impact of a Cascadia event to E. Oregon [and, I assume by extension, E. WA]. What's troubling is that the entire state will be hampered by a lack of energy be it liquid fuel, natural gas, or electricity. The economic impact on the nation will be huge as industry and agriculture come to a stop for some time.

Last Edited:
I'm planning to get these gas shutoff switches installed on my family's homes. Would like to have the same setup for electricity shutoff, but haven't found a good source for a switch yet.

Automatic Gas Shutoff Valve Program - City of Berkeley, CA

I had Washington Energy Services install my seismic natural gas shutoff value some years ago. I know I was bad too waiting for so long since we living in the same house in 2001 when Nisqually earthquake happened. It was not until 2011 that I had my SGSV put in. :(

I just turned my gas service off and went electric about 12 years ago after a NW Natural Gas employee showed up at our door and tried to intimidate my wife into giving him cash on the spot or he was shutting us down...

It was my fault, I forgot to pay the bill but my wife doesn't shake easy so this guy was pretty over the top and if even half of her story is true, I'd have kicked the crap out of him before he could get off my front door step.

Good thing I wasnt there and it has been cheaper to heat the house with electric so it all worked out.

I just turned my gas service off and went electric about 12 years ago after a NW Natural Gas employee showed up at our door and tried to intimidate my wife into giving him cash on the spot or he was shutting us down...

It was my fault, I forgot to pay the bill but my wife doesn't shake easy so this guy was pretty over the top and if even half of her story is true, I'd have kicked the crap out of him before he could get off my front door step.

Good thing I wasnt there and it has been cheaper to heat the house with electric so it all worked out.

Me its the opposite , I have gas water, heat, and stove and I think my dryer is gas as well, but I am not 100% sure. my Gas bills are about 35$ a month, where I am struggling to get my electric below 100$
I wish I can get everything on gas and drop the electric.

We out here in the vast wastelands of SW OR USA have no natural gas other than what .... is natural. Lots of that. Our electricity costs about $0.0488 cents per KWH for the first 1000 KWH or so. Will have to check the bill stubs. Last month our power bill was $61 bucks.

During the big snow, (26" on ground) when we were snowbound for 8-9 days, (forgot) the power came and went. The longest outage was only about 16 hours for us. More for neighbors. Now we are using the camping gas powered cook top burner. Hot meals are nice.

Are we far enough East from the mighty Cascadia Subduction Fault? Dunno. Eventually we who choose to live here will certainly find out. Again, right now we are hunkered down until garden season. Then comes the annual wildfire potential which we do fear. Yikes!

:rolleyes: Just think......the cascadia event triggers the San Andreas fault and sluffs California into the Pacific Ocean!!!!!:p
Anyway,I would think that since most everything is centered on service to populated areas,Eastern Oregon and Washington could have some bad side effects as far as utilities go.
Of course it depends on where yours come from.
Heck there may be some good tremmers over this far if it actually rocks up to a 9. That said who knows what impact it may have.
You can read all the propoganda you want on this. There is no telling if it will ever happen or it may come tomorrow o_O
But one thing for sure,I wouldn't bother reading anything Amazon has to say about it,they're selling shnit! They're gunna say what the worst could be ,maybe you'll buy more.
Remember kids,this is all speculation. These scientists don't really know much more than you do. They don't know for certain it will happen within the next 1000 years.
Are your stores going to last that long? I'm all for food stores since you don't know that your favorite store isn't gunna burn down tomorrow. Or that food chain doesn't collapse next week
Not a chance you say? No more than the cascadia event happening in your life time.
Like I told a kid on here a few years ago,get your shnit in order and relax. No telling when S may HTF
Peace out y'all ;)

:rolleyes: Just think......the cascadia event triggers the San Andreas fault and sluffs California into the Pacific Ocean!!!!!:p
Anyway,I would think that since most everything is centered on service to populated areas,Eastern Oregon and Washington could have some bad side effects as far as utilities go.
Of course it depends on where yours come from.
Heck there may be some good tremmers over this far if it actually rocks up to a 9. That said who knows what impact it may have.
You can read all the propoganda you want on this. There is no telling if it will ever happen or it may come tomorrow o_O
But one thing for sure,I wouldn't bother reading anything Amazon has to say about it,they're selling shnit! They're gunna say what the worst could be ,maybe you'll buy more.
Remember kids,this is all speculation. These scientists don't really know much more than you do. They don't know for certain it will happen within the next 1000 years.
Are your stores going to last that long? I'm all for food stores since you don't know that your favorite store isn't gunna burn down tomorrow. Or that food chain doesn't collapse next week
Not a chance you say? No more than the cascadia event happening in your life time.
Like I told a kid on here a few years ago,get your shnit in order and relax. No telling when S may HTF
Peace out y'all ;)

Yup, no idea if that will happen in our life time...

Something could, so prepare for worse & hope for best. Shoot something could happen half a world away which could affect our food delivery etc...

Yup, no idea if that will happen in our life time...

Something could, so prepare for worse & hope for best. Shoot something could happen half a world away which could affect our food delivery etc...
That's probably more likely. After fukashima? the butcher in Sequim said we only needed about one more disaster and the food supply was in serious trouble. IIRC South American had some flooding prior to Japan's quake and another food crop was in jeopardy that same time frame.
California falling into the ocean may be a popular idea up here but in reality there's a lot of food that wouldn't be in the markets. There would be some slow down from foods from Washington and Oregon but not much more than local markets.
We could have some weather problems in any number of countries that may make food sources dry up. It would be more likely than a huge quake,it would seem.
But what's with all the volcanos lately?:cool:
What's making them open up?
What happens if the pacific 'ring of fire' comes alive?
There again,if the "big one" hits,that ring could be opened up pretty good. It could become a world wide catastrophic event.
Just thinkin out loud here :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads