JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I've been curious about this and a recent post on thread I was reading prompted me to start this thread. For those of us who carry a concealed handgun is it legal for us to carry more than one concealed handgun? The reason for my question is that our licenses are Concealed Handgun Licenses and not Concealed Handguns Licenses. I know it's a technicality but and overzealous DA would be sure to point it out. What are your thoughts (especially those of you who carry a Back Up Gun (BUG))?

That's what I thought a BUG was for. I thought you carried a smaller gun, just in case you lost your main carry.

Maybe I need to clarify my question. Is it legal with a CHL to conceal multiple firearms on your person? The license is singular, Handgun. I personally believe a person should be able to carry as many firearms as possible on their person. I'd just like to know the legality of it.

And I agree. You stated the purpose of a BUG perfectly:s0155:

In Nevada where I am from originally the concealed handgun license used to be specific to a particular firearm listing the make model serial number you could carry. It was a big deal to get permission for more than one gun for those who like summer vs winter carry guns. The last I heard it might still have been specific to type of firearm i.e. revolver vs semi auto was listed based upon the training received. However, since I have moved to Oregon and had a CHL up here since 1997 I have never heard of any restriction of type or number of firearms that you can carry concealed with a CHL. I am no lawyer but I doubt any prosecutor would waste his time trying to prosecute on the basis of handgun vs handguns license.

Yes it is legal in the State of Oregon to carry as many concealed handguns as you like, as long as you have the CCL of course.

I once knew a gentleman that carried NO LESS than SIX concealed handguns on him at any given time.

And all of you who are giving legal advice are PMing the original poster with your contact information in case the information is incorrect and the OP needs to make a claim against your malpractice insurance, right?

:s0093:

I've been told by Polk county S.O. that you can carry as many as you can conceal. So, carry all you want. For further questions if you don't believe anyone else call OFF. They know thier stuff. You can make donations too.

Is it Suarez? or? who says (when referring to self defense and the possible take away or restriction/disability of strong hand)....... "One is None, Two is One and More is Better"?

... a prosecutor would be really be stretching it on challenging your two (or more) carrying habits.

Consider your attorney's possible reply....... "most if not all Police officers carry more than one gun, many are (officially) issued the BUG, (most all are atleast authorized to carry a BUG) as well as Taser, night stick, shotgun, hand weapons etc.! ! !

Additionally, carry concealed handgun... is well...... "I've concealed this one and I concealed that one....." case closed :) :) :)

PS When I originally started carrying (in Arizona) many many years ago, it was common for Police to carry two guns.... my CCL instructor (Phoenix Pd) said it was legal (in Arizona) and advised to follow a good example!

I've been told by Polk county S.O. that you can carry as many as you can conceal. So, carry all you want. For further questions if you don't believe anyone else call OFF. They know thier stuff. You can make donations too.
OFF is a good idea. And I do donate to them. Nice to have a true NO COMPROMISE lobby group on our side.

Thanks for you skepticism Cap'n:s0155: Please stop asking questions and start sharing the popcorn of which you seem to have an abundance:D

Yes, really.

ORS 166.250 Unlawful possession of firearms. said:
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260, . . . a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:
(a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person. . .
(3) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.

(Italics mine)

166.260 Persons not affected by ORS 166.250. said:
(1) ORS 166.250 does not apply to or affect: . . .
(h) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.

Even if OP's idea had even the slightest amount of validity to begin with, which it doesn't, there is nothing in the statutes above, or any other Oregon statute, that could lead a court to conclude that carrying of any number of handguns, in any manner, by a person licensed under ORS 166.291 is unlawful.

The only cases that are even remotely similar to this hypothetical situation are ones where people are prosecuted under ORS 166.250 - which, again, does not apply at all to CHL holders - in instances where there is a question whether or not an item is a firearm, State v. Schodrow, 187 Or App 224 (2003), or whether a weapon they carry is, or must be, accessible, State v. Finlay, 179 Or App 599 (2002).

There is one case that states that a Sheriff is not required to issue "multiple weapons licenses," defining that term as "either a single license issued to an individual to carry concealed a number of weapons or a number of licenses, each for a single weapon, issued to an individual to allow those weapons to be carried concealed," Heinzel v. Shipman, 85 Or App 207 (1987), but that case relies on an application of Oregon's old CHL law, ORS 166.290, which was repealed and replaced by the current law, ORS 166.291.

Or, like I said before:

Yes, it's legal.

Of course, I am not a lawyer, and the above is not to be construed as legal advice. It's worth exactly what you paid for it. Which, at current paralegal billing rates, would be approximately $50 for the actual time I spent researching the law and writing this post, plus another $50 to make it seem like it took longer than it really did.

Of course, I am not a lawyer, and the above is not to be construed as legal advice. It's worth exactly what you paid for it. Which, at current paralegal billing rates, would be approximately $50 for the actual time I spent researching the law and writing this post, plus another $50 to make it seem like it took longer than it really did.

Thanks for the advice Zach. I'll remit my payment for you 'legal' services as soon as I win the lottery. (Which I don't play:s0155:)

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads