JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
While waiting for a 4473 to clear on one gun, I bought another, shipped to the same FFL who's holding the first one. Can I pick up both when the BGC on the first one is approved? Federal law, in the context of NICS, is clear that this is legal as long as the first gun hasn't been transferred yet:

Example 2

A transferee completes ATF Form 4473 for a single firearm on February 15. The licensee receives a "proceed" from NICS that day. The transferee does not return to pick up the firearm until February 20. Before the licensee completes the transfer of the first firearm, the transferee decides to acquire an additional firearm. The second firearm may be recorded on the same Form 4473.

The acquisition of the two firearms is considered a single transaction. Therefore, the licensee is not required to conduct a new NICS check prior to transferring the second firearm.

The FFL holder in question said No. When I forwarded the above link, their reply was that Oregon uses FICS, not NICS. I can't find concrete information either way, to confirm or refute this. Can anyone cite a law (or something comparably authoritative) that does?

Last Edited:
The link pertains to NICS and federal law, not FICS and Oregon state law. And the answer there is yes regarding multiple guns on one transaction (implicitly, even if the forms were filed separately; see the second example), not multiple transactions.

The link pertains to NICS and federal law, not FICS and Oregon state law. And the answer there is yes regarding multiple guns on one transaction (implicitly, even if the forms were filed separately; see the second example), not multiple transactions.
OSP uses NICS as a middleman. You as a user use FICS. Oregon requires the make, model and serial for FICS. So Oregon requires you to use the same 4473 at the time of application.

Do other states' 4473 forms (or the federal one) not ask for make and caliber and serial?

I'm still primarily looking for statutory law or administrative rules or somesuch.

Do other states' 4473 forms (or the federal one) not ask for make and caliber and serial?

I'm still primarily looking for statutory law or administrative rules or somesuch.
I can't speak for all, but I don't believe that they do. The 4473 is the federal form, do that's the same. I don't believe NICS asks for the gun model. Oregon supposedly does a stolen gun check, at least that's the rationale.

Last Edited:
Now that I bothered to actually look at form 4473, ID of the guns turns out to be the first thing (apart from an optional "transaction number") it asks for, at least in its present incarnation. Anyone who bothered to actually read the link above would see that adding guns to an *incomplete* - this part is important - transaction, even several days after the form was initially filed, is kosher per federal law. I've been unsuccessfully looking for the pertinent Oregon law for some time now.

Oregon supposedly does a stolen gun check, at least that's the rationale.
Ok, that would make sense, but what's your source?

Last Edited:
Now that I bothered to actually look at form 4473, ID of the guns turns out to be the first thing (apart from an optional "transaction number") it asks for, at least in its present incarnation. Anyone who bothered to actually read the link above would see that adding guns to an *incomplete* - this part is important - transaction, even several days after the form was initially filed, is kosher per federal law. I've been unsuccessfully looking for the pertinent Oregon law for some time now.

Ok, that would make sense, but what's your source?
Unlikely to find a source as OSP FICS really "rolls their own" and releases very little to no info on their real process and how it actually works. Big black mystery box once you submit a BGC to OSP FICS.
The difference noted above is just another way they choose to make the process more cumbersome.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top