JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am suprised people on a public forum would encourage the OP to break the law. It sounds to me like you are sending a message that "It's okay to break the law as long as nobody knows about it."

Pretty much. :s0155: Does anyone here really think that someone with bad intentions (i.e. a criminal) will think twice about laws like this?
There's two schools of thought here and you can take whatever side you wish; either you carry, concealed or open (whichever you can or prefer) and face the pros and cons of having the ability to defend yourself and the ones you care for along with the very real and possible legal actions that you would face.....
Or you follow the laws, each and every one of them to a "T", putting your well-being in the hands of others and taking the safe, legal high road. My only concern is that possible criminals respect so called gun free zones as much as you do.

Pretty much. :s0155: Does anyone here really think that someone with bad intentions (i.e. a criminal) will think twice about laws like this?
There's two schools of thought here and you can take whatever side you wish; either you carry, concealed or open (whichever you can or prefer) and face the pros and cons of having the ability to defend yourself and the ones you care for along with the very real and possible legal actions that you would face.....
Or you follow the laws, each and every one of them to a "T", putting your well-being in the hands of others and taking the safe, legal high road. My only concern is that possible criminals respect so called gun free zones as much as you do.

<shrug> Is there really anything at a bar that you absolutely have to do that you couldn't do someplace else? I am not saying to go unarmed, I am saying that if you want to be armed you should avoid places that it is illegal to do so, like courts, bars etc. If you don't like being unarmed then don't go there, or work to change the laws so you can do so legally.

I think while in WA state I would put my gun in the trunk and lock it up if possible.

In Oregon, unless I am mistaken, you can carry into a bar or restaurant that serves alcohol. As an older guy I will pocket carry concealed and never drink more than a glass of wine or two during a 3-4 hour evening.

I choose to be extra careful when I carry a weapon and would have to be backed into a corner before I would use my weapon for self defense.

I know booze and guns don't mix but I also am well aware that facing a grand jury following a defensive shooting you must be able to state you knew that your life or that of a loved one was in danger. A glass of wine or two can be a strike against you but using common sense, avoiding anger, and only presenting a firearm when facing the grim reaper will get you through the ordeal with your sanity and bank account intact.

I always follow the law and advise others to do the same. But while in business I have known many over the years that packed guns in their briefcases, on their person and in their cars with no permits. Their rationale was always just plain fear of neighborhoods they had to visit and to protect their lives trumped any law.

While I prefer concealed, I don't feel we should give up the right to be allowed to open carry, even if it's accidental. I don't like the phrase, "concealed means concealed," because it implies that you can't legally open carry. I see no problem with it, and this is legally backed up in Oregon.

I prefer concealed in Portland, specifically, for two reasons...
A. I would rather nobody knows, especially in a situation with ashooter that may have seen me first.
B. People will call the police on you for no reason. Worst, they may lie about what you were doing, just to make you look bad and potentiatlly be detained or worse.

You should know that there are a few cities in Oregon where it is ILLEGAL to open carry a firearm (CHL or not - no open carry whatsoever!). PORTLAND is one of those cities. DO NOT get caught openly carrying in:
Portland
Beaverton
Tigard
Oregon City
(there are a couple more but I'm not sure what they are at the minute. I know about these particular cities because they are local to me.)

I promote open carry as well, and would encourage it OUTSIDE the city. In town you are just asking for trouble or harrassment by the local LEO, or gun fearing libtards.

Actually I have open carried in beaverton and portland and under ORS 166.173 and 166.370 a concealed carry licensed individual with a valid card can open carry in public. In both places, as soon as the LEO told me I couldn't carry ...... I told them the law and they backed off....... the look on their faces was a kodak moment hahahahahaha on duty police...... armed security.......active millitary and chl/ccw/chp whatever u wanna call it....... are exempt from any city or county laws because the state has given you the right and you are licensed through the state. I recomend you look up the law before you make such statement with regards to not being able to open carry even with a license........ now if you are on private property it is a different story. If on private properety, you see a NO GUNS sign or are asked to leave .......you leave. To me a gun free zone is a red flag and I don't need to be there.

Get a smaller gun such as a .380 kel tec or something that you can stick in your pocket. that way you dont have to worry about anyone "seeing" it and you can put your "Big gun" in your car safe

Yeah buddy lol I got one of them kel tec .380 semi autos just for that reason. You almost forget that you have that sucker on ya. I almost always have mine in a pocket and if you do the same, I recoment keeping the chaimber clear....... just have to be anal about safety.

Yeah buddy lol I got one of them kel tec .380 semi autos just for that reason. You almost forget that you have that sucker on ya. I almost always have mine in a pocket and if you do the same, I recoment keeping the chaimber clear....... just have to be anal about safety.

I carry mine in a Galco leather pocket holster and always have a round in the chamber. I put the gun into the holster outside of my pocket and slip the holster and gun into my front pocket. I remove it the same way unless I had a need to present the pistol for protection.

The double action triggers on Kel-tecs are long and firm for your protection. An accidental discharge can always happen with any weapon but the kel-tec is one of the safest, in my opinion.

You should know that there are a few cities in Oregon where it is ILLEGAL to open carry a firearm (CHL or not - no open carry whatsoever!). PORTLAND is one of those cities. DO NOT get caught openly carrying in:
Portland
Beaverton
Tigard
Oregon City
(there are a couple more but I'm not sure what they are at the minute. I know about these particular cities because they are local to me.)

I promote open carry as well, and would encourage it OUTSIDE the city. In town you are just asking for trouble or harrassment by the local LEO, or gun fearing libtards.

You're wrong, and I'm not going to go over this again. it's perfectly legal with a CHL. Look it up.

To sum it up, the local bans specifically say that those with a cocnealed handgun license are excempt from the bans.

What I do agree with you about, though, is you're asking for harassment, although just from uninformed citizens and police. Nothing illegal, although you may eat pavement if you're a smartass.

Aymen brother hahahahaha
I say get a conceal weapon permit badge and take your permit ID card and wear it around your neck that way the idiots in public don't freak out. And NO your not impersonating a cop because you are not saying verbally or visually that your a cop.......and even if u had a "POLICE" on your shirt or whatever your not specifying your county or state or whatever. In other words if your shirt sez PORTLAND or BEAVERTON POLICE then you get in trouble but if it just sez POLICE or SHERIFF or whatever then your fine lol

Actually I have open carried in beaverton and portland and under ORS 166.173 and 166.370 a concealed carry licensed individual with a valid card can open carry in public. In both places, as soon as the LEO told me I couldn't carry ...... I told them the law and they backed off....... the look on their faces was a kodak moment hahahahahaha on duty police...... armed security.......active millitary and chl/ccw/chp whatever u wanna call it....... are exempt from any city or county laws because the state has given you the right and you are licensed through the state. I recomend you look up the law before you make such statement with regards to not being able to open carry even with a license........ now if you are on private property it is a different story. If on private properety, you see a NO GUNS sign or are asked to leave .......you leave. To me a gun free zone is a red flag and I don't need to be there.

Thanks! I have been looking into this and have done a ton of research and read every ORS on the topic since you posted that, and I stand corrected. Oregon has preemption - in short this means you can open carry IF YOU ARE A CHL holder.

I should say - our CHL class was told by the instructor (A Washington County Deputy no less), that those cities passed the laws and we could not open carry even with a CHL. Either he is simply misinformed, or is pushing his own agenda and trying to dissuade as many people from open carry as possible. Either way, it is disturbing to have him spewing incorrect info to the CHL participants.

yeah man no problem....... been there.... don't trust what cops tell you. They could very well know the truth but they wanna brain wash people and try to pull one over them. Gun issues are so common in my opinion that most cops should know about open carry laws and it is my personal belief that most know but they choose to act like they don't know or they wanna BS you.......... I had two beaverton cops tell me I couldn't open carry even tho I told them about my license, and showed them my license and even after I told them about the state law they didn't wanna hear it........ they uphold the law, they are not above the law........ so don't argue with them...... take down names and badge numbers and contact higher ups......... thats what I do and they don't like it hahahahaha I had a SGT. pull rank on a no ranking officer and it was great so stand your ground and make sure you know the law so you have it on your side backing you up hahahahahahahahahahahah
I have actually printed out the laws and handed it to them at some pint... boy they don't like that either because your questioning their authority.... plus they got them laptops in the cars, can't be that hard for them to check lol I assume they have internet lol if not my cell phone does and I would be happy to school me an officer or two. I respect most cops, but the few that get in my face..... I make sure they end up understanding me in the long run hahahahaha

Oh by the way I have had my license since 2004..... I didn't know until 4 year later when my license ran out and I had to go get a new one. I told the lady at the county that I had been open carrying in beaverton and she was like :s0001: you can't open carry without a license........ I was like WORD? but I thought you had to keep it concealed, and she said oh no silly rabbit lol you can open carry or conceal carry but you have to have the license and it has to be valid. So a lot of cops don't know that because from what I hear even a police officer off duty can't just open carry, but I may be wrong. Washington Co. deputy told me that .......... so maybe they get pissed off that we card holder have more rights or something hahahahahahahahah :s0114::s0155:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top