JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One of the reasons I advocate in favor of competitions, Steel, IDPA, etc. Is that you have a stressor, the timer and the competitors, and you are given a chance to see what your limitations are.

There are those who will profess, that if you aren't failing you aren't trying hard enough. Better to do that in training.
IDPA has been on my bucket list for a couple of years now if I wasnt so busy all the time been meaning to give it a try.

Any Civilian who starts Shooting at someone who is 25 yards away - 10 yards is pushing the boundaries - is Seriously asking for Jail time. IMHO

Find cover, call the Police and Retreat even further. You might try recording and scene for the Courts.

In many cases I would say yes, but not in something like this. If the "good guy" can see some kook roaming with a gun looking for victims I would have no problem with him taking the kook down. Now of course there is a lot of caveats here. If it's a store or mall, the good guy would need to make damn sure he is not just spraying lead "at" the kook. Don't need the good guy to be in the news as hitting some of the people trying to run from the Kook.
It's why unless I thought the kook was heading towards some of my people, I would try to get away from him or take cover. Then only address shooting him if he had me cornered. If I had to kill some kook like this I am sure I would sleep fine that night. If I shot "at" some kook like this and hit some of the good people trying to run? It would be devastating to me.

Said it before and I'll say it again...
Whatever I carry (which varies by activity, season and attire) will be completely concealed. So when some pathetic dim bulb decides it's a good day to be evil, I won't be the "I like to open carry, because I can" target, publicly begging to be neutralized first.

I will find an EXIT!

My Lady will be behind me with her hand on my shoulder so I know her location at all times. I will help bystanders get to the exit as well. That is where my responsibility ends.

I carry because things don't always go as planned.

That said, I know I can get CM hits at 25 yards, right or left side of cover, standing or kneeling. This thread has encouraged me to set up a piece of butcher paper at 50 yards and see how much different my point of impact is at 50.

Carrying a full sized handgun is no big deal if you have a good holster, a good belt and a loose shirt.

If you go back to the OP there is nothing said about a mass shooting! That's a massive threat drift to say the least. Take it somewhere else. In that case, go find a Bigger Gun and Help.

I'm done here.
The OP absolutely did. Go to the forth paragraph. Here's the quote, "With random high-casualty shootings..."

Biggest evolution with me for carry is going from one gun, one mag to one gun & 2 extra mags.

Close in, 10 ft with one assailant, one mag is probably going to be fine. What if, multiple assailants or ongoing evolving situation where I missed under stress or it was a run and gun thing with one assailant? I'd really hate to be sitting there with one or two rounds left or even none left and undead bad guys.

More bullets can solve so many problems.

What to carry, best gun you can afford that you can shoot well. Higher accuracy & capacity is better while taking size/concealment into account.

50 yd shot, no, unless there was simply no choice. Could cause more problems then it solves in so many ways. You miss, wound, hit bystanders, or, even alert the bad guy to you and lose your "scared guy without gun" cover status that could be used to close the gap.

~

Shot ihmsa for a while back a few decades ago. Long range with a handgun takes practice and skill, while i am comfortable with 50 yard targets I wouldn't think it is what many train for. Being more of a "make every shot count" kinda guy, capacity isn't an issue and I prefer a hammer. So it's a 1911 for me, for now.

Shot ihmsa for a while back a few decades ago. Long range with a handgun takes practice and skill, while i am comfortable with 50 yard targets I wouldn't think it is what many train for. Being more of a "make every shot count" kinda guy, capacity isn't an issue and I prefer a hammer. So it's a 1911 for me, for now.

With 1911s you also gotta be fast with mag changes.

As long as i don't shoot like I'm having a seizure, that isn't as frequent.
when i do this comes in handy.
IMG_20180528_1749276_rewind.jpg

When you learn with a 1911 you learn to make your rounds count. Ive always been critical of the "stream of fire" idea....

The way my eyes are any more I am sorely temped to put a dot on one of my 1911's. As for an active shooter in a place like a mall or such? As long as I had my others with me I would be looking for cover. Where if I could not get away the clown would have to get real close to see me. At which point I would of course not be waiting to be shot
My eyes too, so I did this: (With no regrets)
IMGP0140.JPG
I do not notice the addition when carrying, and if you square up through the lens on the front sight, or end of the slide, then just keep lowering it as you are moving into your sight picture, the dots comes up as fast as the fuzzy iron sights.

My eyes too, so I did this: (With no regrets)
View attachment 606897
I do not notice the addition when carrying, and if you square up through the lens on the front sight, or end of the slide, then just keep lowering it as you are moving into your sight picture, the dots comes up as fast as the fuzzy iron sights.

Yes I remember when you posted that I was VERY tempted. I have LONG loved the belt slide as a carry method too. It is my favorite carry holster.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top