JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry. Had to modify my first answer. .Yeah it is a pistol. Show me in the RCW where it says otherwise. One handed? Check. Definitions matter..

(11) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder. "Firearm" does not include a flare gun or other pyrotechnic visual distress signaling device, or a powder-actuated tool or other device designed solely to be used for construction purposes.

Dont confuse federal definitions with state definitions. The Washing state definition of pistol encompasses shockwaves especially the braced version. Show me otherwise in the RCW.

How about with a converted katana carrying rig like Deadpool? #crosstac :D

lp-2837__75178.1504560695.jpg

With enough money and a carry permit, your attorney might win the day for you. In our day, prosecuting attorneys have sufficient taxpayer dollars and staff to make your life miserable. Many folks, who are in the right legally, often plead to lessor charge to save themselves from more misery.

I feel that we need laws that severally penalize prosecuting attorneys and state AGs, who lose their cases involving citizen rights. Many prosecutors are anti- gun and will use the power of their office in an attempt to attack 2nd amendment rights. These anti-gun prosecutors often financially destroy the defendants or force them to plead guilty to a lessor charge.

With enough money and a carry permit, your attorney might win the day for you. In our day, prosecuting attorneys have sufficient taxpayer dollars and staff to make your life miserable. Many folks, who are in the right legally, often plead to lessor charge to save themselves from more misery.

I feel that we need laws that severally penalize prosecuting attorneys and state AGs, who lose their cases involving citizen rights. Many prosecutors are anti- gun and will use the power of their office in an attempt to attack 2nd amendment rights. These anti-gun prosecutors often financially destroy the defendants or force them to plead guilty to a lessor charge.
Got a cite of anyone convicted of carrying a braced shockwave on their person or in their car who had a valid concealed carry license?

Didnt think so.

Last Edited:
Got a cite of anyone convicted of carrying a braced shockwave on their person or in their car who had a valid concealed carry license?

Didnt think so.
Got a case of anyone arrested for a Shockwave/et. al. related offense that is remotely close to this topic?

I am not aware of any test cases, and while my opinion is that the RCW might provide for a legal defense, I do NOT want to be the first person to test it in court. I don't want to find myself in court at all, even if it would be an easy peasy win.

I don't believe ANYONE can speak with authoritative certainty on this subject.

Let's ease up on the venom. Some members seem to HAVE to be more right than others. There is some serious gray area around this gun. Leave it at that.

Got a case of anyone arrested for a Shockwave/et. al. related offense that is remotely close to this topic?

I am not aware of any test cases, and while my opinion is that the RCW might provide for a legal defense, I do NOT want to be the first person to test it in court. I don't want to find myself in court at all, even if it would be an easy peasy win.
The RCW is pretty cut and dry on the subject. What would anyone be arrested for exactly? Just because they havent figured out a way to make something obvious illegal doesnt mean they wont at some time. For now they have the law the way its written.

Sorry. Had to modify my first answer. .Yeah it is a pistol. Show me in the RCW where it says otherwise. One handed? Check. Definitions matter..

(11) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder. "Firearm" does not include a flare gun or other pyrotechnic visual distress signaling device, or a powder-actuated tool or other device designed solely to be used for construction purposes.

Again that's incorrect. And I agree that the laws are really stupid on this… but the shockwave is indeed NOT a pistol. It is a "firearm". The key words here are design, not capability. Yes it is capable to be shot with one hand, like almost every other weapon is "capable" of being shot with one hand. However, it was not "designed" to be shot with one hand. Also, overall length comes into play with the handgun/pistol classification. Mossberg shockwave does not have a rifled*** barrel and the OAL is over 26" therefore it is not eligible to be classified as a handgun. This is due to ATFs current standing on concealability.

In other states you would be fine to carry a loaded shockwave in your vehicle. In Washington, the ONLY weapon you can carry loaded in your vehicle is a handgun and you must have a CHL to carry it "concealed"

Edited to change threaded to rifled. Made a brain error lol

Again that's incorrect. And I agree that the laws are really stupid on this… but the shockwave is indeed NOT a pistol. It is a "firearm". The key words here are design, not capability. Yes it is capable to be shot with one hand, like almost every other weapon is "capable" of being shot with one hand. However, it was not "designed" to be shot with one hand. Also, overall length comes into play with the handgun/pistol classification. Mossberg shockwave does not have a threaded barrel and the OAL is over 26" therefore it is not eligible to be classified as a handgun. This is due to ATFs current standing on concealability.

In other states you would be fine to carry a loaded shockwave in your vehicle. In Washington, the ONLY weapon you can carry loaded in your vehicle is a handgun and you must have a CHL to carry it "concealed"
Not asking about federal law. Asking about Washington state law. The feds aren't going after you for carrying a shockwave.

Not asking about federal law. Asking about Washington state law. The feds aren't going after you for carrying a shockwave.
I guess the only law I can find says you can't carry a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun in your vehicle. However the same rcw says you can carry a loaded handgun concealed with chl or in open view w/o chl. But this pretty much brings us back to the point of the only allowable firearm to be carried loaded in a vehicle in Washington is a handgun.

The RCW is pretty cut and dry on the subject. What would anyone be arrested for exactly? Just because they havent figured out a way to make something obvious illegal doesnt mean they wont at some time. For now they have the law the way its written.
You don't have to violate the law to be arrested for violating it. It just takes a LEO who thinks you violated a law.

I've owned two Shockwaves, one with an aftermarket pistol grip and one with a brace. I gave the pistol grip SW to a friend/neighbor who moved to Montana and wanted it for bear protection, the one with the brace I still own.

I live in Orygun where I don't believe it is legal to treat the SW/et. al. as a handgun, but the nature of these firearms is such that I am leery of testing the law in court concerning what is or isn't legal. When I went to transfer the SW to my friend, the FFL would not do it until we removed the pistol grip and replaced it with the raptor style grip. That is how much confusion there is over these firearms - the other day I read an article that implied that replacing the raptor grip with a pistol grip would violate the federal law, even though the SW was still over 26" long.

I guess the only law I can find says you can't carry a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun in your vehicle. However the same rcw says you can carry a loaded handgun concealed with chl or in open view w/o chl. But this pretty much brings us back to the point of the only allowable firearm to be carried loaded in a vehicle in Washington is a handgun.
That is covered in the video.

But until someone tests this in court, or at least gets an arrest charge dismissed, I would not do try it.

Kyle Rittenhouse, without legal counsel paid for by a third party, would he have been able to survive his day in court without someone paying his defense lawyers? I seriously doubt a public defender could have obtained the same outcome.

Washington State already has a very aggressive liberal AG who uses the weight of his office to match his political agenda. He also has avoided cases where he might offend a liberal group or supporters of democrat politicians. It is hard for citizens to fight his taxpayer funded checkbook. And he is anti-gun to the extreme.

The shockwave isnt a shotgun. We have already established that by the laws of the state of Washington its a pistol. What the feds call it is absolutely immaterial. There are federal gun laws and there are state gun laws. The states dont prosecute you for violating federal laws and the Federal government doesnt prosecute you for violating state laws. Concealed carry laws are up to the states. Nowhere in the RCW is the shockwave defined as anything but a pistol given its attributes.

Kyle Rittenhouse, without legal counsel paid for by a third party, would he have been able to survive his day in court without someone paying his defense lawyers? I seriously doubt a public defender could have obtained the same outcome.

Washington State already has a very aggressive liberal AG who uses the weight of his office to match his political agenda. He also has avoided cases where he might offend a liberal group or supporters of democrat politicians. It is hard for citizens to fight his taxpayer funded checkbook. And he is anti-gun to the extreme.
I agree wholeheartedly. That's why I don't like carrying AR pistol in my truck anymore but I still do it. I used a limiter in my buffer tube now to make sure my brace can't go past the 13.5" length of pull. It's just a huge cluster f**k with all these laws. I've lately been considering scrapping the whole AR pistol truck gun idea as a last resort and just keeping an unloaded rifle in my cab with loaded mags in my covered truck bed. If I can't handle the task at hand with my concealed carry and 3 spare mags I probably wouldn't be able to shoot my way out of the situation with an AR pistol.

The shockwave isnt a shotgun. We have already established that by the laws of the state of Washington its a pistol. What the feds call it is absolutely immaterial. There are federal gun laws and there are state gun laws. The states dont prosecute you for violating federal laws and the Federal government doesnt prosecute you for violating state laws. Concealed carry laws are up to the states. Nowhere in the RCW is the shockwave defined as anything but a pistol given its attributes.
I think we're both beating a dead horse here. I never said it was a shotgun. And I have not found a law in the rcw that says the shockwave is a pistol. So I'm not really sure that we can agree on this but I'm sure we can agree on one thing - a relatively bright individual wouldn't carry a shockwave for self defense in their vehicle due to the insanely gray area behind them. I have a shockwave. It's a cool fun gun. It would never be considered a truck gun for me

I think we're both beating a dead horse here. I never said it was a shotgun. And I have not found a law in the rcw that says the shockwave is a pistol. So I'm not really sure that we can agree on this but I'm sure we can agree on one thing - a relatively bright individual wouldn't carry a shockwave for self defense in their vehicle due to the insanely gray area behind them. I have a shockwave. It's a cool fun gun. It would never be considered a truck gun for me
You wont find a law calling a Glock a pistol either.

The RCW has been posted . Its cut and dry. Just because the RCW has notoriously bad definitions doesnt mean that they can change them at will. The worst lawyer in the state would have you walking .

We are still back at the key word of design. Mossberg did not design this weapon to be fired with one hand. They've stated this before. Washington RCW defined a handgun as a weapon w/ barrel of less than 16" that's designed to be fired with one hand. That immediately removes the shockwave from the handgun classification

You wont find a law calling a Glock a pistol either.
Yes you won't find an RCW saying "Glock is a pistol" but Glock was designed as a handgun to be fired from one hand (even though who in their right mind fires a handgun with one hand unless their other hand is compromised or unless they're a gangster shooting sideways out of a car window haha.

I agree wholeheartedly. That's why I don't like carrying AR pistol in my truck anymore but I still do it. I used a limiter in my buffer tube now to make sure my brace can't go past the 13.5" length of pull. It's just a huge cluster f**k with all these laws. I've lately been considering scrapping the whole AR pistol truck gun idea as a last resort and just keeping an unloaded rifle in my cab with loaded mags in my covered truck bed. If I can't handle the task at hand with my concealed carry and 3 spare mags I probably wouldn't be able to shoot my way out of the situation with an AR pistol.
Hopefully ATF back off on brace thing.
Or back off from all sbr sbs regulations.
Just FYI it been proposed, not law yet (hopefully never) but system is cluster for pistol configuration.
6533AFE6-78BF-4948-A98D-F7893BB615E3.jpeg 7F98AD6C-C977-45F5-A502-92E00EFCAC6D.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top